Deactivating the DRL side beams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Deactivating the DRL side beams

So for my next mod I am looking to go with oracle halo's on my projectors. Seems simple enough from what I have seen but I wanted to achieve what the gt500 in this video has done, specifically at this part of the video:

Wiring in question is at 0:57 in the video below:

From what I understand, the S197 mustangs have a wiring setup that keeps the DRL's on at all times unless the e-brake is engaged on the car and all the lights are turned off.

What I am looking to do is the same setup as the above video but be able to either have a switch to turn on the DRL's and turn them off, dont care too much about color.. I did find this video that might solve the project but I am not sure as they are referring to a different board on which the circuitry runs from.

I tried searching for this specifically but couldnt find it directly for this, just a simple switch or wiring diagram to have the DRL's and all lights on the car be off on this switch selector:

I did find this thread here on ME about someone trying to get this done and even cody chimed in.... but this is a DIY, not going to a dealer =p

how do i turn off my drl's??? (daytime running lights)

After some more searching, it looks like you have to macgeyver the Smart Junction Box to the same connection on the picture above to the e-brake indicator wire to make the SJB think the e-brake is activated to turn off the DRL's.

Anybody here gone through with these or even attempted re-splicing the SJB or found a work-around?
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Running a switch is no problem, there is a separate wire running to the plug at the headlight that all it does is operate the Accent lights.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Running a switch is no problem, there is a separate wire running to the plug at the headlight that all it does is operate the Accent lights.
So in simple terms, all I need is to solder a wire to a switch to allow the current to pass through? Thinking about setting up a toggle like in this pic:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You will need a wire coming and going to the switch. I have to find the wire in the inside to disconnect it, just have not had a lot of extra time to do it working 7 days a week to get a business going.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you're already going to open the headlights to put halos in why not also get RGBW DRL's from Diode Dynamics to go along with them, and wire them up so that you can turn them on/off whenever you want? I've just completed installing halos and DRL's in one of my headlights, and wired it up just a few minutes ago to see what it looks like. Below are the pics. I have my halos wired to one controller, the DRL's wired to another controller, and both controllers can be controlled by one remote. I can also completely turn off the halos, the DRL's, or both if I so choose via the single remote. Pretty slick setup I think.

IMG_0288 by Josh, on Flickr
IMG_0289 by Josh, on Flickr
IMG_0290 by Josh, on Flickr
Old 03-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
If you're already going to open the headlights to put halos in why not also get RGBW DRL's from Diode Dynamics to go along with them, and wire them up so that you can turn them on/off whenever you want? I've just completed installing halos and DRL's in one of my headlights, and wired it up just a few minutes ago to see what it looks like. Below are the pics. I have my halos wired to one controller, the DRL's wired to another controller, and both controllers can be controlled by one remote. I can also completely turn off the halos, the DRL's, or both if I so choose via the single remote. Pretty slick setup I think.

IMG_0288 by Josh, on Flickr
IMG_0289 by Josh, on Flickr
IMG_0290 by Josh, on Flickr

That looks awesome, as long as the kit has some diagram to allow for a switch to turn on/off the drls, I am so down I'll check out diodedynamics to see what they have

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
That looks awesome, as long as the kit has some diagram to allow for a switch to turn on/off the drls, I am so down I'll check out diodedynamics to see what they have
Thanks! With most LED kits you'll need an LED controller box (similar to a receiver) and a remote. Most LED kit manufacturers will allow you to order a controller and remote with their kit or you can order them without. I opted to order my Diode Dynamics DRL's and my halo's from LED Concepts without controllers or remotes because I specifically wanted to be able to control both lights from the same remote which required a different type of controller and remote. No matter which option you go with you'll be able to turn off either the halos, DRL's, or both off if you wish.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Deactivating the DRL side beams

What type of controller remote did you get? Led concepts was already on my radar for the halo rings but if I can achieve the same thing you got going on, I'll go that route

Old 03-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
What type of controller remote did you get? Led concepts was already on my radar for the halo rings but if I can achieve the same thing you got going on, I'll go that route
I bought this controller+remote combo: http://amzn.com/B00MGTVOVW, and an additional one of these controllers: http://amzn.com/B00MGTVOSA. I like my LED Concepts LED's so far. Fitment is pretty good, and I like the small halo around the projector as well as the outer halo. Not to mention they're very affordable. They are also insanely bright!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7t...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a video I took of the functionality of the remote. The other DRL LED's do work, but I still need to solder the wires to the other one so they can both function together.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7t...ew?usp=sharing

Here is a video I took of the functionality of the remote. The other DRL LED's do work, but I still need to solder the wires to the other one so they can both function together.

This video just sold me, definitely going to go the same route you did!

Old 03-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Im definitely happy with my selection of components! A few things about the mod you should probably know.

1. It's fairly expensive if you're on a budget. I've invested around $700 in them, and honestly that's on the low side because I got a great deal on used headlights from eBay. $265 for the pair. 2. I would recommend getting another set of headlights to work on if your car is a DD as it's more than a weekend job to install these things. 3. Opening the headlights is an absolute bear! Took me around 5 hours each to open them up, and then spent another 30 mins to an hour cleaning out the original sealant from the channel. 4. Once you get the headlights open be very careful with the chrome parts as they're incredibly easy to scratch, and the chrome is very thin so be careful when wiping if you wipe them down. Also I recommend completely taping off the chrome in the area you're working so that you don't get epoxy on the chrome when you install the LED's. I made that mistake on my first headlight and I now have partially rubbed off the chrome where my epoxy fingerprint touched the chrome.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Those are the big things I can think of right now. I have quite a few pics of the project so if you want to see anything let me know. If you have any questions feel free to ask as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang