Belt pulley noise? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Belt pulley noise?

I recently paid attention to the noise when I rolled down my windows. The noise seems to be coming from the belt pulleys. It's not a squeak or squeal but it's a rolling swoosh sound. I have a Cai but the sound I am talking about is not from the Cai either. I checked for play in the pulleys and sprayed water to see if the noise goes away but it does not. Belt tension seems okay to me. Can some please tell me if the sound is normal and your car make the same noise or is this something that needs to be addressed.
https://youtu.be/PD5DwN2RepQ
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
My 2014 v6 has been making some squeaking type noises from the belt area as well lately. I'm hoping it's just from condensation/weather but if it keeps up I'm taking her in. It seems to only be at start up and if it is there it goes away after a few mins of idle.

Love my Mustang but damn these are noisy little hotrods. lol
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tension pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by papivo View Post
Tension pulley
This is most likely it. I've had mine replaced once and it's already starting to act up again only a few months after getting it replaced.
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
This is most likely it. I've had mine replaced once and it's already starting to act up again only a few months after getting it replaced.
What were your symptoms? DIY?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It might be the tension pulley. The sound surely come from somewhere that side. Its not too difficult to do it yourself right? Just open the bolt and replace the bearing?

I'll use the stethoscope metho to check which pulley is the noise coming from though maybe this weekend.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
What were your symptoms? DIY?
There was a squeak in the belt area. As time wine on it got worse. Sometimes you wouldn't hear it until higher rpms where it really started to squeal. Dealer wouldn't do anything about it the first time because they "couldn't" replicate it. I insisted that I take them for a drive and the tech who rode with me heard it and diagnosed it as the tensioner pulley. They replaced it under warranty. This was in October and I've already heard the squeaking start again on the new one. Pretty sure it's a piece of junk part. I wish someone made after market billet ones for our cars.
JoshLSTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Tension pulley is an easy job. Now I'm basing this on my 07' Acura TL. Try to find a YouTube of it and if there isn't one please video yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
There was a squeak in the belt area. As time wine on it got worse. Sometimes you wouldn't hear it until higher rpms where it really started to squeal. Dealer wouldn't do anything about it the first time because they "couldn't" replicate it. I insisted that I take them for a drive and the tech who rode with me heard it and diagnosed it as the tensioner pulley. They replaced it under warranty. This was in October and I've already heard the squeaking start again on the new one. Pretty sure it's a piece of junk part. I wish someone made after market billet ones for our cars.
Sounds like my deal, thanks! Now hopefully someone recognizes the OPs issue. Maybe he can post a video for sound purposes?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like my deal, thanks! Now hopefully someone recognizes the OPs issue. Maybe he can post a video for sound purposes?
Hawkstang the video for the sound is embedded in my first post. It's a whine.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My bad, I didnt get much sleep last night. I listened a couple times and cant hear a "whine"... Maybe a raspy ticking though.

Can you hear it while driving? Is it at idle only? When I briefly had a CAI on my Mustang it amplified all engine bay noise, but I doubt that has anything to do with yours.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My bad, I didnt get much sleep last night. I listened a couple times and cant hear a "whine"... Maybe a raspy ticking though.

Can you hear it while driving? Is it at idle only? When I briefly had a CAI on my Mustang it amplified all engine bay noise, but I doubt that has anything to do with yours.
No problem happens to the best of us. It does not sound that way while driving. It's at idle and it increases if I accelerate a little. In the video I accelerate to about 2k rpm in the beginning. It's not too bad as of now but it's a start. It's kind of swooshy metallic rolling whine. I don't think this sound is normal. It definitely comes from the pulleys though. It's not the Cai for sure.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Id take Josh's advice and do a little google research into the tension pulley. Mine is only on idle as well but it's more of a squeak. Best of luck and let us know when you solve it!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I replaced the tensioner on mine last year...literally a 30 minute job and the tensioner is only about $20-$30. Might as well replace the belt too while you're at it.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I replaced the tensioner on mine last year...literally a 30 minute job and the tensioner is only about $20-$30. Might as well replace the belt too while you're at it.
Do you need any special torque tools?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I didn't use one, but I'm sure there are torque specs for the two bolts that hold the tensioner to the block.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If this is the correct title, "Accessory drive belt tensioner bolts", the manual says, "97 in lbs".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The weather was finally good enough for me to work on it today. I removed the belt (5 min job) and checked all the pulleys. The tensioner pulley seems to have gone bad. I started the car without the belt and the engine was silent with no crazy noises. There is quite a bit of play in it so I ordered one at local ford. They did not have one so I will get on Tuesday. Costs about 37$. Not sure if it's the entire tensioner or just the pulley. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Is it ok to run your engine without the belt?

I have a feeling I will be going through this sooner than later as well so if you feel like doing a write up when finished that would be awesome.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Is it ok to run your engine without the belt?

I have a feeling I will be going through this sooner than later as well so if you feel like doing a write up when finished that would be awesome.

Not for long the belt spins the alternator and water pump which you need for your car to run, you can run it for a couple min with out one but any longer you run the risk of over heating
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Not for long the belt spins the alternator and water pump which you need for your car to run, you can run it for a couple min with out one but any longer you run the risk of over heating
Hawkstang as he said you should not run it for a long time. A min or two to just check everything is fine. It will give you a charging system error on the dash in a min but that's okay.

Here is a link on how to replace serpentine belt.

https://youtu.be/dykk5xtvRVY

I'll put up a write up once I change the pulley. Should be simple I guess the entire tensioner seems to be on 2 bolts.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
Hawkstang as he said you should not run it for a long time. A min or two to just check everything is fine. It will give you a charging system error on the dash in a min but that's okay.

Here is a link on how to replace serpentine belt.

https://youtu.be/dykk5xtvRVY

I'll put up a write up once I change the pulley. Should be simple I guess the entire tensioner seems to be on 2 bolts.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 03-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced the tensioner pulley today and the noise went away. Now, the car is quiet again. It is an extremely easy job and i was done with everything within 20 min.

Attached is the pdf on how to do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tensioner pulley replacement.pdf (766.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

To add to the mix, I vaguely remember reading that Ford put out a TSB on the tensioner for some model years, so it might even be a fix-for-free item if you have a good dealer.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My 2014 v6 has been making some squeaking type noises from the belt area as well lately. I'm hoping it's just from condensation/weather but if it keeps up I'm taking her in. It seems to only be at start up and if it is there it goes away after a few mins of idle.

Love my Mustang but damn these are noisy little hotrods. lol
Mine does this in the cooler temperature as well. Never had an issue and had it inspected there was nothing wrong as far as they said.
javallama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine also makes a noise upon start up in cooler temperatures, but after a few minutes it subsides.
Had Ford look at it and of coarse they said its totally normal lol.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Java and FastFord... I really appreciate the feedback since it will allow me to live with it with no worries!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks Java and FastFord... I really appreciate the feedback since it will allow me to live with it with no worries!
Sure thing, I had problems on previous cars with the belts and was worried about it on this car as well. Another thing you may have noticed but shouldn't worry about is valve clicking in super cold weather. Just idle for a little extra time to allow the oil to circulate and the gaskets to warm up.
javallama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Nice update.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by javallama View Post
Sure thing, I had problems on previous cars with the belts and was worried about it on this car as well. Another thing you may have noticed but shouldn't worry about is valve clicking in super cold weather. Just idle for a little extra time to allow the oil to circulate and the gaskets to warm up.
10-4 on that. It didn't take me long to figure out that Mustangs aren't very winter friendly as far as noises go. Anything under 30 degrees and I let her warm up for 5 mins before driving. On top of that I watch the transmission temp and don't get on her until it's in the green.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang