Somewhat painful to drive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Somewhat painful to drive

I have a 2013 V6 coupe with Pony Package including power leather/vinyl seats. I have found the OEM seat comfort to be somewhat less desirable with resulting pain in my lower back and hamstrings after driving less than an hour or so especially around the city with frequent stops. The discomfort got to the point where I had thicker padding and higher quality leather installed in the bottom center and upper center sections of both the driver and passenger seats. Such modification helped some but not enough to my liking. I have tried a somewhat expensive seat cushion from a local company which has also helped some. They informed me that the problem with most sport cars is that the seats slope downward from front to back causing ones knees to be higher than their butt causing additional stress on the lower back and hamstrings. I wanted to reach out to the Stang community to see if others have experienced this issue and have found a viable solution - or do I need to just live with the discomfort? Thanks for your time and feedback.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
If it's the same power leather seats as my 14 Performance Package, you can adjust the slope of the bottom seat and adjust your lumbar support. Is this not the case on your Mustang?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
We have the PP with leather and we both have bad backs. We find the power seat has very good adjustments for our backs. Only thing we wish we had was the heated seat option. The power lumbar took us awhile to find the sweet spot.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh hey I found a highly rated seat warmer on Amazon a couple days ago by accident. Very affordable. I can find the link if you like.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yes please, I would be very interested. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hard to believe it's this cheap but 125 reviews it must work!

Seat warmer
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Just curious how old you guys are, I'm 36 and have taken a few 12+ hour road trips with no problems. I have the base cloth seats.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I've driven 10+ hour days in mine and find it pretty comfortable. Just have to change tilt, height, front back every once in a while. But it could just be how your built. I've found that Hondas are extremely uncomfortable for me. The center console always squeezes my right side. My wife has had two ford escapes and I've never been able to get a good seat position in those. Similar problem to the Hondas.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jomcgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah my seats are the same power, leather, heated, with lumbar support. I have tried many different positions - some work better than others.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

55 years young
Old 03-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The base cloth seats are a different angle than the power seats. You can make the power seats work even a bit better, but the angles seem a bit odd at first since it's nowhere near the default/mid-range of the controls.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Guess its all preference. I've driven a few 11+ Mustangs and even 15+ and they feel like Bentleys compared to my Mustang lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Must be your height. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs and almost 63 years old . I have the leather, power and heated seats. I have never in my life sat in a better feeling seat. We also have a 2014 Edge Limited, my Mustang seats feel a lot better than the Edge.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
True, it could be a combination of age, height and weight. I'm 5-8, 170 and find them very comfortable as well.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Just curious how old you guys are, I'm 36 and have taken a few 12+ hour road trips with no problems. I have the base cloth seats.
I'm 66 wife is just turning 61.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have the power leather seats without heat, and it did take a little trial and error to find a comfortable position. The key for me was getting the tilt of the seat bottom right...at first I had the front part tilted up too much and it would cause some numbness from compressing the sciatic nerve.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I have the power seats and still playing with them. My problem is I am short 5' 4" and my legs are short and I have to be practically on top of the steering wheel to be able to engage the clutch all the way. If my air bag deploys it will suffocate me if not shoot shrapnel at me and kill me. (hope not) I know they have some extenders for the clutch but not sure one inch would make that much difference. I am 60 but still find it comfortable enough to drive. I raise the seat up and back a bit. I have to work with the lumbar support yet. We are taking 2 long trips this summer. We live in WI and the first is to southern Texas and the next is to CT - so will get a good long time to see how it rides for both of us - my husband is 6 foot and 62.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

6'2", seat all the way back, bottom all the way down and out of all my vehicles that I drive the Mustang is the most comfortable.
BTW 55 years old and had L4 L5 fused in December and they still feel good.
I have also driven to Florida which is about a 10 hour trip and Massachusetts which turned out to be 18 hours due to Friday traffic and was good.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This is the most comfortable car I've ever driven.....do miss the 2.73's in the highway!! But I'm a lot less likely to get a ticket.

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I say "GET A DOG"

I'm 72 and have bad hips, a bad back, bad kidneys, small bladder, and can't breath half of the time:::::::
*******************************BUT*******************************************

I drive from Florida to Pennsylvania every year to attend the American Muscle Mustang show.
Almost a thousand miles each way.
Having my Dog Mario with me is great because he forces me to stop at a whole lot of "REST AREAS"He spots the "REST AREA" signs and goes crazy to make sure I stop and it forces me to walk around for a few minutes.
If it were not for him, I would probably only stop for gas and would not be able to walk when I got to Maple Grove.
So, I say - GET A DOG and your back won't hurt so much. Ha! Ha!
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070605.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	940.9 KB
ID:	198066  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
I'm 66 wife is just turning 61.
I am 27 and I have noticed the same problem within the last week. I am currently going through physical therapy for 2 bulged discs.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Im 5"11" I'll be 60 in 2 months. I have the leather, and heated seats. When my back is sore, I WANT to get in the car. Seats are extremely comfortable to me but like some others, I spent some time setting them how I like them the most and the heats is flat out awesome with a sore back.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a bad back and find even when it hurts, driving the Mustang 2013, cloth seats make it feel better when I get out. I get more support from that seat than my chairs or couch at home.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
6'2", had L4 L5 fused in December and they still feel good.
Glad to hear that. many aren't as fortunate.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:15 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I have a heavily modded Shelby GT500 of 2007 and am myself 70. I find the seats very comfortable. What nags me is MagnaFlow exhast because after one hour of driving my head begins to swell because of its low frequencies.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #26

I find the seats to be extremely comfortable and I put it at full lean. This also might be because I spend 10 hours a day driving an old semi truck. Compared to that I'm sure anything is comfortable.
dsultimate37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just happy to see, I'm not the only 'old fart' on this Forum
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I'm just happy to see, I'm not the only 'old fart' on this Forum
You will always be Young!

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You will always be Young!

Yep. I get that a lot
Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. I get that a lot

Nice looking car! Love it.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep. I get that a lot
I see you are from Tennesee. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Tennessee within 4-5 years. How do you like it? We have been looking at prices and homes around Knoxville - but not sure where the best places to live might be. It is a gorgeous state. Any info you could supply would be great - especially weather - coming from WI looking for better weather during the winter for sure.

TIA
Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Tennessee. is fine, Great weather, nice people, country music,
A very nice place to move to.

Just do not even think of Florida because we have way to many people here now.
Florida gets ""HOT""
Florida gets "NO SNOW"
We have way to many car shows and cruise ins all year.

You will be much happier in Tennessee.
Ronnie
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
I see you are from Tennesee. My husband and I are thinking of moving to Tennessee within 4-5 years. How do you like it? We have been looking at prices and homes around Knoxville - but not sure where the best places to live might be. It is a gorgeous state. Any info you could supply would be great - especially weather - coming from WI looking for better weather during the winter for sure.

TIA

I've lived in Tennessee all my life. I am a hillbilly . The weather is pretty good. We average around 6 inches of snow per year. I live something like 15 miles from Knoxville. The hills and mountains are beautiful. The back roads i drive on are almost like race tracks compared to roads in Michigan (relatives) and Ohio (relatives). Its just like anywhere else, they are bad sections with gangs and things like that. It all depends where you go

Ronnie, i love Florida. I've been there several times. My last wife (3rd ) I'm on my 4th was from Vero Beach and i have a cousin that just retired from NASA. After 2 weeks in Florida i start missing the hills of Tennessee. I couldn't live there but i do like to visit Florida
Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi David,
Visiting is good, Tourist Money is good,
Have fun, Spend a lot,
Then Go Home !!!! Ha! Ha!
Ronnie

When I moved here in 1978, It was really sparse with not a lot of people. My town of Port Orange was really tiny and our city hall was in a trailer on US-1 as well as the Port Orange Police Department.
My house was in the country at that time, Now I'm in the center of a huge city,
Way to many visitors came and stayed.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Glad to hear that. many aren't as fortunate.
I have been pretty lucky, I get to go back to work on the 22nd of this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post

TIA
What are you looking for, good schools, closeness to downtown, horse property.
I get around to different areas since I build swimming pools.
Not only do we have good weather and a beautiful state, we have the Tail Of The Dragon
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang