Keep mustang or upgrade? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Keep mustang or upgrade?

Should i trade in my 2014 mustang v6 for a 2016 ecoboost premium or procharge my base 2014 v6 auto?

Currently have $16k on my 2014 and if i trade it in ill go too around $37k

Payments will go from $296 to around $350-$400.

Any suggestions or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you can afford it and want to then do it.

You thinking is kind of flawed though with choosing between an Eco boost or to pro-charge your car as your car now had the same power as the Eco boost. Do you want more power or just have money buying a hole in your pocket?

Ask yourself are you happy with the current power of your car? Bc the Eco boost will be basically the same power so if your not happy now you won't be happy with the Eco boost. If your not happy with the power a better choice would be a new base GT vs pro charging what you have.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
If you can afford it and want to then do it.

You thinking is kind of flawed though with choosing between an Eco boost or to pro-charge your car as your car now had the same power as the Eco boost. Do you want more power or just have money buying a hole in your pocket?

Ask yourself are you happy with the current power of your car? Bc the Eco boost will be basically the same power so if your not happy now you won't be happy with the Eco boost. If your not happy with the power a better choice would be a new base GT vs pro charging what you have.

Honestly i've just always wanted a boosted car, don't race much its just my preference. But don't know if doubling my car loan is worth the new body style with less hp than a boosted v6 haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpedwin View Post
Should i trade in my 2014 mustang v6 for a 2016 ecoboost premium or procharge my base 2014 v6 auto?

Currently have $16k on my 2014 and if i trade it in ill go too around $37k

Payments will go from $296 to around $350-$400.

Any suggestions or advice?

There are 2015 GTs all over for around $30k. Why spend the extra cash on a brand new eco when you can get a low mileage GT for $7k less?

A procharge will get you at the same HP as a GT, so for me I would say the debate would be to upgrade to a 15 GT or add a procharger... and if that were my choices, I would go GT in a heartbeat.

The trade in value adjustment on a car with a super charger is crap, so if you went that route when it does come time to get a new car you'd have to private sell it or bend over.

Check out this bad boy... makes me want to trade mine in!

2015 GT
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post

A procharge will get you at the same HP as a GT, so for me I would say the debate would be to upgrade to a 15 GT or add a procharger
I agree. Personally, I'd just keep your current car and slap on the Procharger.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are 2015 GTs all over for around $30k. Why spend the extra cash on a brand new eco when you can get a low mileage GT for $7k less?

A procharge will get you at the same HP as a GT, so for me I would say the debate would be to upgrade to a 15 GT or add a procharger... and if that were my choices, I would go GT in a heartbeat.

The trade in value adjustment on a car with a super charger is crap, so if you went that route when it does come time to get a new car you'd have to private sell it or bend over.

Check out this bad boy... makes me want to trade mine in!

2015 GT

I work at a Ford dealership but the problem for me is that I'm 18 and insurance is going to be expensive, and plus the extra $200 a month for the car payment haha.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
I agree. Personally, I'd just keep your current car and slap on the Procharger.

You think so?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpedwin View Post
You think so?
That's what I would do. At 18, why double your auto debt when you can have just as much HP, plus the "cool" factor of having a supercharged car, for about $6k or so?

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I think you just answered your own question. Procharger it is.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you want a boosted car, then it'd be cheaper to put a Centrifugal on your Cyclone. Then to buy an Ecoboost, and have your payment double as you said. At least that's what I'm getting from your previous posts.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do u wanna hear actual exhaust note or speaker amplified/induced noise? Lol

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If you want a boosted car have you considered getting a base Eco boost? You can probable do that with minimal increase in payment and have a reliable boosted car. As I said before it just doesn't seem like your comparisons make sense. You want a boosted car so I can understand debating between what you have and a base Eco but why go all out with the premium if you don't want the increase in payment. If you have 6 k for a supercharger then I would imagine if you put that towards a new car you can Lee your payments around what they are.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

get an 11-14 5.0. it's cheaper than buying a new ecoboost and more powerful than both ecoboost and supercharged v6. problem solved!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My procharger v6 is faster than stock 5.0 lighter and better mpg

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Old 03-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
True but 5.0s can easily have bolt-ons also. I would get a 5.0 if I had the opportunity. 13/14 would be my choice if 2015 was out of the question.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
True but 5.0s can easily have bolt-ons also. I would get a 5.0 if I had the opportunity. 13/14 would be my choice if 2015 was out of the question.
You're both correct, but to the OPs issue the SC V6 will cost him much less in insurance.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
My procharger v6 is faster than stock 5.0 lighter and better mpg

1. Stock. A bolt on 5.0 will easily pick up 40-60 whp.
2. There's less than 100 lbs difference between the v6 and v8, and i'm willing to bet that procharger makes it a very small weight difference.

Not knocking, just keeping everyone's facts straight . BTW, with a 3.31 gear my 5.0 would do 28 mpg hwy. It would do like... 17 city lol, but that may have been my fault.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
1. Stock. A bolt on 5.0 will easily pick up 40-60 whp.
2. There's less than 100 lbs difference between the v6 and v8, and i'm willing to bet that procharger makes it a very small weight difference.

Not knocking, just keeping everyone's facts straight . BTW, with a 3.31 gear my 5.0 would do 28 mpg hwy. It would do like... 17 city lol, but that may have been my fault.
So your V8 is doing better than my V6 on the hwy? That strikes me as odd. Unless your going by a one mile stretch of flat road with wind behind your back, I have a hard time buying that a V8 is getting a consistent 28 mpg.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
So your V8 is doing better than my V6 on the hwy? That strikes me as odd. Unless your going by a one mile stretch of flat road with wind behind your back, I have a hard time buying that a V8 is getting a consistent 28 mpg.

It does get that good of mpg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1457709243.877584.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	198108

This was my AVERAGE MPG on about a tank & a half when I drove to the AM show last year. That was about 3-4 hours on the freeway each way, plus a good bit of reving at the show and a bunch of playing around. I used to daily my car and it would easily get 27-28mpg on the highway doing about 75 mph with my 3.31's. Ask DiESeven, he would get sad because his v6 would drink gas compared to my 5.0, granted he has gears and a tune but he averaged about 21-22 mpg on the same trip (we drove together)
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

25.4 I can buy. 28 is a little harder. lol by myself doing 70 on a level road the best I hit was 29. But thats not including having to gun it to pass rock throwing trucks
Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I think a lot depends on how fast and what kind of road (flat vs hilly). I know in my V6 if I keep it at 65-70 on a flat road I've gotten 35 mpg on flat roads which is over 150-250 miles. But with some hills, traffic, etc I can normally get around 29-30 without an issue. I would imagine the same is true with the 5.0. It can get 28 under the right conditions but I would imagine 24-25 wouldn't be an issue straight high way

Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Dude you're 18. Pay off any lingering debt, create a safety net/emergency fund, move out if you still live at home or further your education (tech school/university). Do all those things then consider dropping 6-8k on a procharger or doubling your auto loan.

You have a pretty sick car already for an 18 yr old. Enjoy it as is for now for a few years, gain some stability then when you're ready make the leap. Trust me, you don't want to be car poor at 18.

I'm 26, so I was in that position no too long ago. I took that advice to heart at the time and now I have 2 mustangs and a bike all paid for, a new truck, money saved up, etc. so it worked out for me.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
25.4 I can buy. 28 is a little harder. lol by myself doing 70 on a level road the best I hit was 29. But thats not including having to gun it to pass rock throwing trucks

This is combined, it easily gets the 28 on the highway man. I've done it. Yes if you start passing and hitting mountains ect that changes. But I promise you, it gets very good mpg. That's why I LOL at some people who act like these cars are the devil when it comes to gas. It's your foot that's the devil.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I think a lot depends on how fast and what kind of road (flat vs hilly). I know in my V6 if I keep it at 65-70 on a flat road I've gotten 35 mpg on flat roads which is over 150-250 miles. But with some hills, traffic, etc I can normally get around 29-30 without an issue. I would imagine the same is true with the 5.0. It can get 28 under the right conditions but I would imagine 24-25 wouldn't be an issue straight high way

35??? Whats wrong with my stang? Lol

I have 3.31s but still I've never cracked 30 in any conditions. Damn.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
This is combined, it easily gets the 28 on the highway man. I've done it. Yes if you start passing and hitting mountains ect that changes. But I promise you, it gets very good mpg. That's why I LOL at some people who act like these cars are the devil when it comes to gas. It's your foot that's the devil.
My foot is definitely possessed lol

But seriously, why own a GT if you're going to drive it like an Oldsmobile? If that is 25 combined then it has to be a 90% hwy combo. A few dozen stop lights a day would get you down to 21 alone.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
My foot is definitely possessed lol

But seriously, why own a GT if you're going to drive it like an Oldsmobile? If that is 25 combined then it has to be a 90% hwy combo. A few dozen stop lights a day would get you down to 21 alone.

I mentioned above that this was about 6-8 hours of freeway driving to drive to the AM show last year PLUS the city driving while I was there and a few spirited runs here and there, and some reving at the show.

Driving my GT like I didn't want a ticket on this journey may seem like I am driving like an Oldsmobile to you I suppose. 😉
Old 03-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a twin turbo kit?

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I mentioned above that this was about 6-8 hours of freeway driving to drive to the AM show last year PLUS the city driving while I was there and a few spirited runs here and there, and some reving at the show.

Driving my GT like I didn't want a ticket on this journey may seem like I am driving like an Oldsmobile to you I suppose. 😉
You said 25+ combined. Your scenario is not even close to true combined. I just did a 20 mile round trip to my daughters school and back. 90% hwy and stop at 4 red lights. I drove like a 90 year old going to church and ended up with 26.1 mpg. This with never going over 70 mph.

Like I said, you get a V8 stopping at a few dozen red lights alone (which would be true combined) there's no way you get close to 25 mpg... No matter how angelic your foot is. Lol
Old 03-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I'm amazed sometimes , because I consistently get 18.4 daily drive(no freeway) and 28 on road trips( just made trip from Saltlake to Denver, 28.6 mpg!).
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You're 18 and have a cheap car payment. I say stick with it. You don't know where the next few years will take you. Doubling your debt is risky. Stay with the safer bet and supercharge.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Keep mustang or upgrade?

Quote:
35??? Whats wrong with my stang? Lol

I have 3.31s but still I've never cracked 30 in any conditions. Damn.

That was 100% highway so basically filled up drove a few hundred miles and filled up immediately getting off the highway. You would be amazing how much of a difference going 65 can have on mpgs opposed to doing 80.

Another thing people need to realize is you need to manually calculate it. Fill up, drive, file up, divide miles driven by gallons taken. The computer is more accurate on the highway but when the cars in traffic or driving in the city it's really not that accurate. When I drive pure city I normally find myself getting 3-4 mpg better then the computer shows.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Dude you're 18. Pay off any lingering debt, create a safety net/emergency fund, move out if you still live at home or further your education (tech school/university). Do all those things then consider dropping 6-8k on a procharger or doubling your auto loan.

You have a pretty sick car already for an 18 yr old. Enjoy it as is for now for a few years, gain some stability then when you're ready make the leap. Trust me, you don't want to be car poor at 18.

I'm 26, so I was in that position no too long ago. I took that advice to heart at the time and now I have 2 mustangs and a bike all paid for, a new truck, money saved up, etc. so it worked out for me.
I know this wasn't on the table to choose from....but this.

Before you shell out 6k + install, put together a few things:
10 year goals
5 year goals
1 year goals

Then look at what you put down and figure out how to create the path to get there. I'm sure there are dozens of better uses of 6k at 18 than to make the Stang a little faster/cooler. It's fast/cool enough I'd wager. Invest in yourself and your future. It's not what you want to hear. It's what you need to hear.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Stick w ur current stang and procharge it later. Stick with that model as this new model will phase out in a few years once hype dies down.
W my supercharger going 65-70 and no traffic I did 27.8 mpg which is 1.2 away rated 29 for manual transmission.
And by the way, you're fortunate to be 18 and have a v6 mustang. When I was a freshman in college in 02 I drove a 95 civic. let's be happy w what we have for the time being and day by day you'll see how budget is etc etc

Old 03-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Or just be happy your v6 makes 305 hp, my first car was an 01 v6 and that made 195 lol
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Or just be happy your v6 makes 305 hp, my first car was an 01 v6 and that made 195 lol

U got me beat my manual 95 civic probably somewhere in 120-130 hp range lol no power steering rpm gauge no power windows lol funny thing last week before college graduation they broke in and stole stereo lol

Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2017 Ford Fusion Sport AWD 2.7 Ecoboost with magnetic ride available in April. I stickered one out loaded with the options I wanted for $38k. A tune, some simple bolt ons should yield around 400 awhp and over 400 awtq.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang