2011 V6 Dies and Won't Restart - No Code! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #1

Region: Connecticut
2011 V6 Dies and Won't Restart - No Code!

2011 V6 convertible with 38K miles. Here's what happened - in early January I took the car out for some errands. On the way home I stopped for gas and, when trying to leave the station, the car just died. It would not restart, except for a few attempts when it would idle roughly for a second before dying again. There was no CEL. I had the car towed home and put the code reader on it, still no trouble codes. On advice of the mechanic who rode along with the tow driver, I tried pulling the battery to reset the ECU and unplugged the MAF sensor. It still wouldn't start.

Since it's an extra car I just let it sit. A week later it still wouldn't start. Two weeks after that it started and ran just fine. Still no CEL or stored codes. I drove the car a few times over the next several weeks and it ran fine.

Last weekend it died again, but finally restarted after sitting for a half hour.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I hate the idea of going to the dealer to have them try to troubleshoot an intermittent problem so I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience might be able to guide me.
sdheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Fuel pump maybe.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Question: Is it still on that same tank of gas? If so try adding a bottle of HEET to it and see what happens. It's very inexpensive and in the off chance you somehow got water in your tank it will help get rid of it.

It's probably not it, but I like to start at simple cheap solutions to eliminate possibilities.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Region: California
would like to share an idea? maybe put diseal instead of gas sometimes it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kenneth0384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth0384 View Post
would like to share an idea? maybe put diseal instead of gas sometimes it happens

I agree that it seems like a big coincidence that it happened immediately after a fill. Worst come to worst, my have to remove the tank and drain it?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I'm thinking bad gas, or like others said, maybe you've got diesel or some water in the tank.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
2011 V6 Dies and Won't Restart - No Code!

Diesel nozzles won't fit into the filler hole, and if there were diesel in the tank the car would not have started up and run just fine like you said it did later on. It would be a really nasty scene.

There's something else going on there.

IG: the_notorious_vig_
Old 03-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Region: California
had that happen to a customer of my dads shop he put diseal in his car n car ran until it got to hot n engine seized but thats a good point nozzle not gona fit in the mustang.... did the car crank over ? or was it turning n not starting? could be ignition key if its not turning over or starter

kenneth0384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
You said "I stopped for gas and, when trying to leave the station, the car just died." How much fuel was in your tank when you stopped? If you had a 1/4 tank or so left, it seems unlikely that if it were bad gas it would cycle from the tank to the engine that quickly. If after some time it ran fine (on that same tank) then crapped out... But like someone else said, easy things first. The dealer will likely drain the tank first in trouble shooting so I'd start there too.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My first thought when I read this last night was Pats Key, but it started and sputtered. After thinking more about it is when I thought Fuel Pump or the screen on the pick up.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I had a truck do this to me, and it ended up being a packed strainer on the fuel pump?
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well? What fixed it. Was it a bad tank of gas or what?
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Thanks all for your input. My first thought was bad gas so I added drygas as soon as I got the car home in January, then another bottle last week. But I don't think water in the gas would allow it to run fine one minute then not start the next. The possibility of a clogged screen or filter makes sense, as does an intermittent fuel pump issue. I guess it's time to look into dropping the tank next.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Im not 100% sure but I think the water drops to the bottom so if it is in there it could do just that. Those were the exact symptoms of my snow blower when I got water in the tank. I know it's not the same but just saying.

Dropping the tank will let you get any water out and see if there's an obstruction so hopefully that does the trick!

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Im not 100% sure but I think the water drops to the bottom so if it is in there it could do just that. Those were the exact symptoms of my snow blower when I got water in the tank. I know it's not the same but just saying.

Dropping the tank will let you get any water out and see if there's an obstruction so hopefully that does the trick!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

OP - Read this article... it has a part on water in the tank and explains why you will likely have to drain the tank if it is indeed the issue.

water in tank
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Having been in the car repair business for forty years, I'll wager that
you have a bad fuel pump. About 1/4 of the Ford fuel pumps we see go bad at my shop go out immediately after filling the tank. I'm not sure why that is but it is very
common for Ford fuel pumps to do this. The next time it does it, put your ear up to the gas tank or fill neck while someone hits the key and see if you can hear the
fuel pump running when the key is cycled to the run position. Most likely when it does it you will find that if you bang on the bottom of the gas tank with your fist it will start.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Old 03-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #19

So here's an update...
I drove the car twice over the past several weeks and both times it died while stopped, but restarted after sitting for 10-20 minutes. The fuel pump did its usual whirring with the key on - no noticeable difference between a good start and when it fails.

Got all the fuel drained this morning. What a pain that was... you can't get a siphon tube down the filler so I had to go through the floor under the rear seat and open up the level sensor and fuel pump. Before doing that I pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it over a few times. There was no sputter or any sound of an attempt to ignite that way, in contrast to the brief, rough sputter I would get when trying to start it normally after stalling. Another indicator that it may not be the fuel pump. Anyway, after I put everything back together and started it up the computer said I had 8 miles to empty so I added 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane gas. I ran a bunch of errands, with lots of stops and starts. I tried gentle cruising and some WOT runs. I did everything I could to replicate the situation where it previously died. So far so good! Let's hope this is the end of this one.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Fingers crossed, but I think youre in the clear. Water in gas does exactly what your car was doing. How the heck enough got in to kill your car is beyond me, but you might not want to use that gas station anymore.

Keep us posted!

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Fingers crossed, but I think youre in the clear. Water in gas does exactly what your car was doing. How the heck enough got in to kill your car is beyond me, but you might not want to use that gas station anymore.

Keep us posted!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #21

RESOLVED

Draining the gas did it. Saturday after running around all day I was feeling confident, so I packed the wife and kid into the mustang for a three day road trip up to Maine. We did almost 500 miles and the car ran great. Looks like it was bad gas after all. I guess it's time to tell everyone in the neighborhood that I have free gas for their lawnmowers...

Thanks to everyone for their input, suggestions and comments!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 v6