Detailing my mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Detailing my mustang

Complete detail in and out, including buffing the paint. 135.00....sounds like a fair price?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I would do it. Cheapest I've seen is around $200-300 here in Houston Texas.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just make sure they know what they are doing or you could end up with ruined paint.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Just make sure they know what they are doing or you could end up with ruined paint.
This!!! If your car isn't scratched or have scuffs, I wouldn't even worry about buffing. I do all of my own detailing when it comes to the basics like wiping down and conditioning. And I spend a lot less then $100.

From my experience, the car is never clean the way I want it to be when I take it somewhere. So I just do it myself. That way I don't have to pay someone else AND I don't have to go back over what someone else missed.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have a chip that looks to be down to the bare metal. It looks like it might be starting to rust. What do you guys suggest I do? Obviously just putting touch up paint on wont fix it. I don't want it to become a problem.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco3 View Post
I have a chip that looks to be down to the bare metal. It looks like it might be starting to rust. What do you guys suggest I do? Obviously just putting touch up paint on wont fix it. I don't want it to become a problem.

If it is really small, most shops will tell you to use touch up paint. Because if you pay most to fix that, they have to sand down the whole area around it and repaint it/blend it so it doesn't look like garbage. Because if you try to just paint that one area, it's gonna look like you used touch up paint as the paint around it will be older/faded.

Ask yourself if it is worth a $10 touch up pen, or a 150-300 dollar repaint? Because they won't just do a random circle. Most shops will try to repaint up to the body lines so it looks OK.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

Try this.

Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I work at ford and the detailers do it for me for only $25 hehe

asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Save yourself some money do it yourself chances are it doesn't need buffing just try a good cleaner wax and sealant wax do up the tires trim and stand back and enjoy it knowing you saved some bucks.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Save yourself some money do it yourself chances are it doesn't need buffing just try a good cleaner wax and sealant wax do up the tires trim and stand back and enjoy it knowing you saved some bucks.

Waxing will not remove the scratches/swirls, it will only temporarily cover them up. The only way to get rid of them is to compound and polish.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Probably will try dr colorchip. But my issue wasn't really covering up just a chip but the fact that it started to have the red oxidized looks of rust. My fear is covering it up with paint and then it bubbling up in the future.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The op didn't say anything about having scratches or swirl marks just about the price of the detail .If it doesn't have scratches or swirls then a good waxing will work as well.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
Complete detail in and out, including buffing the paint. 135.00....sounds like a fair price?

I can tell you that $135 for a full detail is a fair and reasonable price. I have a side detailing business and I charge $140 for small to mid size vehicles. My $140 doesn't even come with paint decontamination or clay bar. Clay bar with add another $30 and if they want all the iron deposits removed from the paint, you can add another $40.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I know some people live where you can't do things to your Mustang. Like changing your oil, washing and things like that. You have to do what you have to do.

It would be a cold day in hell before i would let some clown 'touch' my Mustang
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I know some people live where you can't do things to your Mustang. Like changing your oil, washing and things like that. You have to do what you have to do.

It would be a cold day in hell before i would let some clown 'touch' my Mustang
What about a non clown? Not all detailers are clown's!

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
What about a non clown? Not all detailers are clown's!

To even get an idea if someone is not a "clown", i read reviews for the company. Everywhere from their site, Yelp, Facebook, etc. Then what I normally do is take the car in for a cheap/small job. If they don't fudge it up, then I start to establish trust with them.

Don't always go for the cheaper price. That can sometimes be misleading. I cannot stress enough "read the reviews". Even though you can't base everything off of them, they can sometimes give a good starting point.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just bought some. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Its these guys that say, "We can detail your car in 2 hours". No way in the world. When i detail my Mustang (1 to 2 times per year) it takes me 2 full days to do it.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Probably will try dr colorchip. But my issue wasn't really covering up just a chip but the fact that it started to have the red oxidized looks of rust. My fear is covering it up with paint and then it bubbling up in the future.

I have used a touch of naval jelly rust remover with a tooth pick. Then wipe clean with running alcohol. Then touch up paint. I did this on a truck and had no issues. No chips on the mustang.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang