Rear gear ratio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Rear gear ratio

Just starting to really get into the good parts of mods on my 2013 premium sixxer. Ive got the CAI, TBI spacer, BBK sorties with a stock h pipe and magnaflow performer series mufflers. Ive recently added a Bama v2 race tune but im still trying to find the right gear ratio to get my low end grunt without loosing my top end. Any suggestions? Im running stock 2:73 right now.
Reelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Anything will be an improvement over those stock gears but I think you will find 3.55s a great compromise between low end torque and top end speed / gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Thanks Robostang! I was thinking the same thing or 3: 31s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

I have the V6 with MT and 3.31's....I would prefer higher and for me I think 3.73 would be my choice. now I'm at 2100 rpm at 70 (6th) and 3rd is the fun gear. 3rd works from 35-90 as you know at less than 3k the 6 doesn't do much. going to a 10% higher (3.31 to 3.73) would make my 3rd fun from 30-80 or so and the twisties I like to have fun in that would be better. I do NOT do alot of hwy and the hwy mpg loss would not bother me that much.

Do not skimp on a shop to swap the rear out...lots of issues can happen unless the shop is skilled.

Welcome to Mevo

Mud
Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #5

Thanks mud
Old 03-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
+1 to the shop install I tried putting 4.10 gears in my 2010 by myself and ended up having to take it in any ways.
AustinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

Synchronizers

Anybody ever her a of their synchronizer going out and making a whining noise or spooling noise like the throw out bearing or input shaft bearing going out?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm curious what you mean Reel, cause i recently got my 3.73s installed, and there is a subtle whining that happens around 50+mph.
2012 Mustang V6 Base Automatic: Window Tint, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, BMR LCAs with brackets, BMR Panhard Bar with brace, GT500 strut mounts, Airaid M.I.T., 3.73 Gears, Borla S-Types, MPT Street Tune 93, Michelin PS A/S3+, TSW wheels
fallenx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

Synchronizers in transmission

I took my 2013 Ford Mustang Premium to the dealer because on a cold start I could hear my clutch spooling up and down as I depressed and released my clutch. Dealer says that the synchronizer for 2nd gear is bad but I've never heard a synchronizer whine like a throw out bearing going bad or a input shaft bearing going bad.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Anything will be an improvement over those stock gears but I think you will find 3.55s a great compromise between low end torque and top end speed / gas mileage.

Agreed. I have 3.31s but I've always felt 3.55s would be PERFECT for our sixers.

Now, get us some pics of that hotrod!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
There's tons of feedback using the search box....this one has been beat to death!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelwood View Post
TBI spacer, .
Did you already lighten your wallet buying that spacer?

I have the 3.55 in my 2013 with automatic. Seems to be a great improvement, still have 1st gear although it is pretty quick to shift to second. Acceleration is great though,
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
There's tons of feedback using the search box....this one has been beat to death!

You must enjoy pain then if you make yourself read threads that drive you crazy. Give the OP a break, he's new around here.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I was giving him break explaining the search box.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was giving him break explaining the search box.

Do you honestly believe anyone that knows how to sign up for a forum isn't aware of a search function?

Give yourself a break... if you don't like a topic don't click on the thread link.

Back to the OP... 3.55 or 3.73 seem to be the tasters choice, anything higher seems like overkill. And welcome aboard! (now get some pics posted)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Who are to instruct me how to read a forum or how to respond! Buzz off!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who are to instruct me how to read a forum or how to respond! Buzz off!

And thus my point is made... Who are you to tell someone to use the search as opposed to starting a new thread?

Take your own advice.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Never remembered talking to you buzz off ****** bag!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
And thus my point is made... Who are you to tell someone to use the search as opposed to starting a new thread?

Take your own advice.
You're on a roll today aren't you? The point of a forum is supposed to be a database. If we had one good thread on gears, with lots of discussion and first hand experiences, it would be an excellent reference for everyone. Instead, there are dozens of threads exactly like this one that bury the useful threads and defeat the entire purpose. That is why you are encouraged to search first. This car came out in 2010 and people have been asking what gears to get for going on 5 1/2 to 6 years now... the topic has been covered.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The search on this this forum is junk, and tbh if repetitive threads like this didn't come up once a week the forum would be good as dead.
Not everyone like yourself has all the answers Volt....
Just saying.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You're on a roll today aren't you? The point of a forum is supposed to be a database. If we had one good thread on gears, with lots of discussion and first hand experiences, it would be an excellent reference for everyone. Instead, there are dozens of threads exactly like this one that bury the useful threads and defeat the entire purpose. That is why you are encouraged to search first. This car came out in 2010 and people have been asking what gears to get for going on 5 1/2 to 6 years now... the topic has been covered.
How did I know you couldnt resist? The Cliff Clavin of the board cant help himself.

YOUR point of this board may be that, but I prefer it to try to help people with questions and have people help me with mine. If thet wanted to search dont you think they would have? I mean you seem rather smart.

Heck if you want to do it your way 90% of the threads would be removed since you can research most of this on your own here or anywhere on the net.

But go ahead... Follow me around the board then tell me I'm the one on a roll. Hypocrisy is in full bloom today it seems. Lol
Old 03-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The search on this this forum is junk, and tbh if repetitive threads like this didn't come up once a week the forum would be good as dead.
Not everyone like yourself has all the answers Volt....

Sent from the future.
The search function in every forum is junk, that's why you use google.
Just typing in "3.7 mustang gears mustangevolution" pulls up about 10 pages in google on just this forum with those key words in there. That's my point, that makes it very difficult to find good information when it gets buried like that.

My only response to "having all the answers" is that i spend the time searching for what i want to know. Tell me to get off my high horse if you want, but its fairly common forum etiquette.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I think it would make for a good poll.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Is calling someone a d-bag forum etiquette?

And again, if the OP wanted to google he would have. Your problem seems to be if someone doesnt do it your way then you need to post bullets to set them straight. While I have read some of your informative posts and enjoyed them, you could benefit by understanding that not everybody thinks the same way you do.

And finally I apologize to the OP for the bad turn this thread took. Please dont shy away as this is a great forum with plenty of awesome members! Let us know what gears you decide on!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Overdue on your Caffeine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
You must enjoy pain then if you make yourself read threads that drive you crazy. Give the OP a break, he's new around here.
-------------------------
Good God, get some coffee in you!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
-------------------------
Good God, get some coffee in you!
I know right? Lol
Old 03-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I would also agree the search function is fakin. Because a lot of people on here like to put their mods in their signature. So if you want to search 3.73 gears, you will get results that include everyone who has 3.73 gears in their signature. I ain't trying to read all that! 1 search for Cold Air Intakes or Headers will GUARANTEED to be leaving you feelin some type of way.

It is straight garbage yo! I prefer keeping it funky with the new people so they can keep coming back to this site. I love my ME fam and would never try to not give a helpful answer if I could help it. That is why my last account had over 3,000 posts. LOL
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I would also agree the search function is fakin. Because a lot of people on here like to put their mods in their signature. So if you want to search 3.73 gears, you will get results that include everyone who has 3.73 gears in their signature. I ain't trying to read all that! 1 search for Cold Air Intakes or Headers will GUARANTEED to be leaving you feelin some type of way.

It is straight garbage yo! I prefer keeping it funky with the new people so they can keep coming back to this site. I love my ME fam and would never try to not give a helpful answer if I could help it. That is why my last account had over 3,000 posts. LOL

Agree 100%.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang