Bob's Oil Catch Can Results - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bob's Oil Catch Can Results

So i see a lot of people post pictures of the inside of their catch cans to prove they are working. To me, i don't find that to be very useful information. Even though there is oil in the can there is no way of knowing if that is all, or even most of, the oil that has passed through that system.

When taking our V6 apart to do spark plugs the other day, i was shocked at how much oil was still in the intake manifold. I will say, once i actually got a paper towel and started wiping everything down it was much less than the pictures would lead you to believe. Still, i was shocked there was an appreciable amount of oil at all.

I empty our Bob's can every 5k miles when doing oil changes, and it fills up the bottom of a red solo cup almost to the very bottom most line (the one give or take an inch from the bottom) almost every single time. The fact that there is still oil leads me to some questions, and hopefully we can come to some consensus.

1. Either my change intervals are too long, and a large enough quantity of oil is collecting in the can that it is starting to spill back slightly into the system.
* This is my current thought, and i will be experimenting with shortened drain intervals to see how this does.

2. This is normal and no can will 100% eliminate all of the blow by. Testing idea number 1 should hopefully prove one of these ideas correct.

3. Or the last theory which is that the Bob's can just aint that good. I highly doubt this, but for the sake of doing things right i have to post this as an option as well.

I have long posted that i am a fan of leaving the PCV system intact and allowing a vacuum to be pulled on the crankcase. If our car continues to remain this dirty (and again, it wasn't as bad as the pics make it seem) i may have to entertain the thought of switching to breathers. I speak highly of my opinions on here, so i try to do my best to back it up. If anything here shows that either Bob's is an inferior option, or that perhaps breathers are not a bad idea, i will do my best to post that information here.

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Do you have a catch can on both sides of the engine? Could be the oil you are seeing is from the side of the engine where there is not a can? I would presume the V6 has a PCV valve on both valve covers?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Thanks for sharing. Will stay tuned to see what further findings show.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
This will be interesting. To answer Guard5.0's question. I think V6's do not have option to install catch can on both side as 5.0 do. Can anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstang001 View Post
This will be interesting. To answer Guard5.0's question. I think V6's do not have option to install catch can on both side as 5.0 do. Can anyone can correct me if I am wrong.
The V6s have a tube on the driver's side that you COULD theoretically Put a catch can on. But most people say it isn't a big issue on these cars so no one has bothered making one. V6s are DOHC now.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Do you have a catch can on both sides of the engine? Could be the oil you are seeing is from the side of the engine where there is not a can? I would presume the V6 has a PCV valve on both valve covers?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
The V6s have a tube on the driver's side that you COULD theoretically Put a catch can on. But most people say it isn't a big issue on these cars so no one has bothered making one. V6s are DOHC now.
There is a PCV "fitting" on both valve covers, one attached to the IM, and one to the intake. The throttle body creates a differential between the two (IM and intake respectively) which leads to a higher vacuum in the IM than the intake.

Air flows IN the crankcase from the intake for that reason, and OUT the passenger side into the intake manifold. All putting a can on the driver's side would do is filter clean air going into the crankcase. Now when WOT there is no differential between IM and intake, since the throttle body is theoretically wide open, so the crankcase will vent out of both evenly. In fact... it may even favor the driver's side seeing as how the passenger side will have the PCV fitting, which 9 times out of 10 is essentially some sort of flow limiter / check valve.

I will remove the intake to test that theory, but i dont believe it to be the case. I am not above a small amount of work to find out though.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
A 2nd catch can down stream of your first one could give some interesting results. Different make of course.
Then another test period reversing their order.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
A 2nd catch can down stream of your first one could give some interesting results. Different make of course.
Then another test period reversing their order.
I actually have a spare Bob's laying around from my old GT. It wouldn't need to be another make, but adding a second can would certainly help measure the efficiency of the first.

The only thing i could see being an issue is that the 2 cans might create too much restriction to where the pcv isnt being evacuated enough. That could skew the results for the first can and there would then be less to fill the second can. Good idea though, and one i am certainly willing to entertain.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I actually have a spare Bob's laying around from my old GT. It wouldn't need to be another make, but adding a second can would certainly help measure the efficiency of the first.

The only thing i could see being an issue is that the 2 cans might create too much restriction to where the pcv isnt being evacuated enough. That could skew the results for the first can and there would then be less to fill the second can. Good idea though, and one i am certainly willing to entertain.
Let the testing begin!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
There is a PCV "fitting" on both valve covers, one attached to the IM, and one to the intake. The throttle body creates a differential between the two (IM and intake respectively) which leads to a higher vacuum in the IM than the intake.

Air flows IN the crankcase from the intake for that reason, and OUT the passenger side into the intake manifold. All putting a can on the driver's side would do is filter clean air going into the crankcase. Now when WOT there is no differential between IM and intake, since the throttle body is theoretically wide open, so the crankcase will vent out of both evenly. In fact... it may even favor the driver's side seeing as how the passenger side will have the PCV fitting, which 9 times out of 10 is essentially some sort of flow limiter / check valve.

I will remove the intake to test that theory, but i dont believe it to be the case. I am not above a small amount of work to find out though.
So from your theory - Do you say we need a catch can on driver side or not?
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So from your theory - Do you say we need a catch can on driver side or not?
Based on Volts statement, "All putting a can on the driver's side would do is filter clean air going into the crankcase." as well as the general consensus of many, it sounds like a can is not required on the drivers side. But then I believe he eluded to the possibility that you may get some crankcase to intake flow under certain conditions. I think!

HOWEVER, I did happen to come across the following statements from an older post.
"Low rpm, high vacuum: Passenger PCV is closed to prevent a vacuum leak and inoperable. Crank gasses are then expelled and consumed from the driver's side PCV where intake vacuum is lower.

High rpm, low vacuum: Passenger PCV opens, driver's side PCV reverses operation from expel to intake.

Make a bit more sense? Yes, the driver's side does put oil residue into the engine, just at a much slower rate. When it's in use is only when you're sitting still and very little blow by is in the crankcase."
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
ya'll know me so you'll forgive the question (hopefully) why is oil in the intake bad?

my guess is it inhibits air/fuel flow.

side thought about amount of oil caught....total caught subtracted from oil used between changes would be a good bit of info.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Based on Volts statement, "All putting a can on the driver's side would do is filter clean air going into the crankcase." as well as the general census of many, it sounds like a can is not required on the drivers side. But then I believe he eluded to the possibility that you may get some crankcase to intake flow under certain conditions. I think!

HOWEVER, I did happen to come across the following statements from an older post.
"Low rpm, high vacuum: Passenger PCV is closed to prevent a vacuum leak and inoperable. Crank gasses are then expelled and consumed from the driver's side PCV where intake vacuum is lower.
High rpm, low vacuum: Passenger PCV opens, driver's side PCV reverses operation from expel to intake.

Make a bit more sense? Yes, the driver's side does put oil residue into the engine, just at a much slower rate. When it's in use is only when you're sitting still and very little blow by is in the crankcase."
Except that any oil entering from the drivers side would be visible on the throttle body and I have never seen any residue on mine when I pull the intake tube. I don't think much oil is entering on the drivers side. Pull your tube and see for yourself.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
ya'll know me so you'll forgive the question (hopefully) why is oil in the intake bad?

my guess is it inhibits air/fuel flow.

side thought about amount of oil caught....total caught subtracted from oil used between changes would be a good bit of info.
You're most of the way there, Oil reduces the effective octane of your gas and can lead to detonation. Granted, its not like the only way to avoid knock is having the world's best catch can, but its one of those "every little bit helps" things you know.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The bottom line is ? ? ? Do the NA 4.6 engines benefit from a driver side or a passenger side or both side catch cans? They look cool but are they are in the same class of mods with throttle bodies.

CAI,6pt.Cage,FRPPSprings,Raptor,UDP,Hurst,SiliconeHoses,BossStrutBar,LoudMouths,Plenum,Cam,Brake,Battery,StrutCovers,FRPP PC.ValveCovers,Chin Spoiler,Hood Scoop&Pins,painted 10"Stripes & Pins,EleanorGrill,Chin Spoiler,"C" Scoop,1/4 Side Scoops,Rear Fascia,PJ Rear Louvers,Roush Skirts & Rear Wing,Triple Pod & Gauges,CF Dash,2010Projector lights,2014Taillights, Real Carbon Fiber full kit,19" 2014 GT rims.
KryptonKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonKnight View Post
The bottom line is ? ? ? Do the NA 4.6 engines benefit from a driver side or a passenger side or both side catch cans? They look cool but are they are in the same class of mods with throttle bodies.
Someone above made a very good point, check your throttle body for residue. If you find a "substantial" amount on there, then its probably worth it.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Except that any oil entering from the drivers side would be visible on the throttle body and I have never seen any residue on mine when I pull the intake tube. I don't think much oil is entering on the drivers side. Pull your tube and see for yourself.
I don't have a catch can and may or may not get one. I'm too old to worry about a little oil in the intake.
At a little less than 2 years old and about 5500 miles on it, I wouldn't expect to see very much. But I was thinking of checking the hoses on both sides, just for my contribution to science.
I do have some throttle bottle spray I never get a chance to use though.

Update: Checked out the car...Passenger side hose oily. No surprises. Checked drivers side by checking throttle body interior. Clean as a whistle.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Based on Volts statement, "All putting a can on the driver's side would do is filter clean air going into the crankcase." as well as the general consensus of many, it sounds like a can is not required on the drivers side. But then I believe he eluded to the possibility that you may get some crankcase to intake flow under certain conditions. I think!

Thanks for explaining that out!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang