Dead stanger overnight - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Dead stanger overnight

Well has anyone had this issue? I woke up this morning to a drained battery and I mean nothing on my 2014 v6, It happened over night and this wasn't the first time. The first time it was parked outside , I put a short charge on it and all seemed fine. That was 6 months ago.

Well this time it was in the garage. ASA I put the charger on it the head lights lit. Now my garage is lit up like a mofo with led's everywhere so the light sensor wasn't triggered. My switch is set to auto and was still on auto. I got in the car switched them to off and they went out. Switched it back to auto and they went on. Back to off they went off this time when I went to auto they stayed off and started working correctly.

Now the first time it was light outside so I may not have noticed them on but this time they shined on the garage door. I'm assuming my switch it having issues but I can't get it to duplicate so I figured I'd waste my time going to a dealer...

Anybody have any other clues to what might cause these issues?
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This is a long shot but do you have anything on top of your dash that can be covering the light sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The auto light does not use the light sensor when the car is turned off. The lights always go off after a short delay when the ignition is turned off. You likely have a defective switch. They cost about 25$ so it might be worth it for piece of mind but I would try the dealer first. Tell them it is intermittent.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No nothing on the dash. With the key out I wouldn't think the headlights should be coming on in auto regardless... The never have before....
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
The auto light does not use the light sensor when the car is turned off. The lights always go off after a short delay when the ignition is turned off. You likely have a defective switch. They cost about 25$ so it might be worth it for piece of mind but I would try the dealer first. Tell them it is intermittent.
Yeah my thought too... Under Warranty so WTH... Just weird never heard of it happening before...

Old 03-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post

Right. Didn't think about that. It's on a timer once the ignition is turned off. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's weird ur battery would be getting drained if I recall correctly it should turn off by itself in 15 minutes even if left on so the battery doesn't drain. There must be something else staying on draining the battery.Maybe just a bad battery
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The next time it does this, Before charging the Battery, Look at the site-glass on the top of the Battery and see if it is green or red. If it is red, you need to replace the battery,
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
From what I can gather, your lights may be coming on for no apparent reason, in which case you'll have to do a little experimenting to try to duplicate the problem while eliminating other potential causes. For example Head Light Switch, Ignition switch, etc.

If on the other hand, you think you battery is draining down without the case of the lights coming on by themselves, you should do a parasitic draw test. Google it if you don't know what it is. Pretty simple to do.
If you suspect your battery may be low or faulty, fully charge it and perform a Load Test. Can be done with a multimeter. You can Google it.
Don't replace your battery unless you have determined for sure that it's bad. Too many people do, even at the advice of a mechanic at times.

Edit: While you have your multimeter out, mind as well check the charging rate to your battery.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

something plugged into power port?

+1 on youtube for how to use a 12vdc light to look for parasitic dram.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The next time it does this, Before charging the Battery, Look at the site-glass on the top of the Battery and see if it is green or red. If it is red, you need to replace the battery,
Ronnie
I don't believe that's true Ronnie. I believe it simply represents the state of the charge.
If red, it can be a good battery needing a recharge.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
something plugged into power port?

+1 on youtube for how to use a 12vdc light to look for parasitic dram.
True on the light but I think everybody should own a multimeter. They have loads of uses around the house and car.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

I find it easier to use the light for the draws. I just put it inline with the ground and if it lights you know there is a load, pulling fuses one by one quickly aids in isolating it.

fwiw I have a nice Fluke at work with the time/min/max feature that is helpful with intermittent issues and an older good quality RS digital at home
Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well the sight glass was orange last night while trickle charging it. The charger said full this morning when I left for work. I didn't check the color then and will later.

I do know I checked last night and it had a .5 amp draw which seemed high to me from what I've read on the forum somewhere. When I opened the door it went to 5 something amps.

I wasn't sure the headlight were on a timer also. So you say they too should go off on there own after a while? Huh I guess I need to check that out too...

Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The markers come on as soon as I open the door and remain on until I either lock the car, or ~20 seconds have passed. It could be a sensor remaining on when it shouldn't, you'll definitely need to do some checking with a multimeter.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yep today all seems fine. After checking the port sight on the battery it is orange'ish still, 13 volts by a multimeter.
I guess a phone call to the dealer is my next move...

Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How to Maintain a Car’s Battery - Motorward
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man.
Yeah I called the dealer and of course unless they can duplicate it they can only trouble shoot.

He agreed the battery needs to be checked out. We'll see how that winds up?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

under the obvious category.....have you cleaned/checked battery terminals. I've seen a few folks have issues with them.

since if it's the battery replacement under wtty is unlikely many autoparts stores will test them free for ya.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
under the obvious category.....have you cleaned/checked battery terminals. I've seen a few folks have issues with them.

since if it's the battery replacement under wtty is unlikely many autoparts stores will test them free for ya.
Those people are idiots...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Well the sight glass was orange last night while trickle charging it. The charger said full this morning when I left for work. I didn't check the color then and will later.

I do know I checked last night and it had a .5 amp draw which seemed high to me from what I've read on the forum somewhere. When I opened the door it went to 5 something amps.

I wasn't sure the headlight were on a timer also. So you say they too should go off on there own after a while? Huh I guess I need to check that out too...
0.5 Amps is too high. That is equal to 500 milliamps. The typical recommended max is 50 milliAmps.
But with today's electronics there are delays for many things so it could get tricky to know exactly when you have bottomed out.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Suggest you look up a Motorcraft Battery.
This referenced article doesn't mention the red color as you had mentioned.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I find it easier to use the light for the draws. I just put it inline with the ground and if it lights you know there is a load, pulling fuses one by one quickly aids in isolating it.

fwiw I have a nice Fluke at work with the time/min/max feature that is helpful with intermittent issues and an older good quality RS digital at home
Yeah but you don't know how much of a load unless you can tell by the brightness of the light. I believe an acceptable load will light a small bulb. Then you get your Fluke.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Diehard,
I do believe red is either to low a charge or a weak cell, I do know that my battery would not start my car and I did charge it and drove to my dealer, My guy Willie went to start it to pull into the bay but it cranked very slow but did start. He checked the charging system and it was OK,
He shut the car off and checked the battery and it said it was good.( EVEN THOUGH IT DID NOT CHARGE UP IN THE 25 INTERSTATE MILES DRIVING UP TO MY DEALERS) enough to keep it's charge.
I had it replaced because "NOTHING" was on to drag it down. When it was out of the car I looked at the sight glass and it was RED
It was the original battery from FORD and a MOTORCRAFT.
Willie brought out the new battery and the sight glass was GREEN
I do believe it was a cell going bad,
It don't matter because I replaced it anyway.

Ronnie
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-red-mean.html
Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi Diehard,
I do believe red is either to low a charge or a weak cell, I do know that my battery would not start my car and I did charge it and drove to my dealer, My guy Willie went to start it to pull into the bay but it cranked very slow but did start. He checked the charging system and it was OK,
He shut the car off and checked the battery and it said it was good.( EVEN THOUGH IT DID NOT CHARGE UP IN THE 25 INTERSTATE MILES DRIVING UP TO MY DEALERS) enough to keep it's charge.
I had it replaced because "NOTHING" was on to drag it down. When it was out of the car I looked at the sight glass and it was RED
It was the original battery from FORD and a MOTORCRAFT.
Willie brought out the new battery and the sight glass was GREEN
I do believe it was a cell going bad,
It don't matter because I replaced it anyway.

Ronnie
Motocraft battery (eye color)...what does RED mean - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Well in your case it certainly sounds like the battery was bad.
I guess when the eye is red it could just need a charge or it could be gone, as in your case.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
my wife's EDGE has similar issue twice in past 5+ years. Never figure out what is the problem indeed. But after jumping up, the vehicle behaves well so far.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah all the cable and post are like new. Very clean 2014... Lol

The color issue has me confused too the yellowish orange I can't fine listed anywhere. I may stop by Auto Zone and have them test it before I dorp it off at the dealer just to be sure I get the same answers...

Old 03-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I may have been able to charge it up and it may have lasted another year or two
************************************BUT**********************************************
It may have died again when I needed my car the most.
It may have stranded me someplace.

It just was not worth the grief it could have caused later on. I figure it is a three year battery that lasted me almost five years. It is the only repair I have had on my Mustang so I;m not really upset about it.
The Florida "HEAT" over it's lifetime may have done it in.
Ronnie
Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

idk but would bet a beverage that color ain't good. If it isn't going to be wtty (and I doubt it will) don't pay dealer price for a battery unless you do it as part of having them be your friend for real wtty issues.

Ronnie is correct about once it dies it won't last
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Well has anyone had this issue? I woke up this morning to a drained battery and I mean nothing on my 2014 v6, It happened over night and this wasn't the first time. The first time it was parked outside , I put a short charge on it and all seemed fine. That was 6 months ago.

Well this time it was in the garage. ASA I put the charger on it the head lights lit. Now my garage is lit up like a mofo with led's everywhere so the light sensor wasn't triggered. My switch is set to auto and was still on auto. I got in the car switched them to off and they went out. Switched it back to auto and they went on. Back to off they went off this time when I went to auto they stayed off and started working correctly.

Now the first time it was light outside so I may not have noticed them on but this time they shined on the garage door. I'm assuming my switch it having issues but I can't get it to duplicate so I figured I'd waste my time going to a dealer...

Anybody have any other clues to what might cause these issues?

I would take it to your dealer, its a 2014 Mustang. I wouldn't even worry about it. Unless 'you' messed up something installing something electrical.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Nah nothing messed up and it is still under warranty. They have a lot of competition around here so Ford usually takes pretty good care of us loyal customers. We shall see...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Forget the colors.
Have it tested properly.
In the meantime, here is some good reading on batteries, even if you don't plan on doing it yourself.
EDIT:
https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

I'm thinking OP might have a bad cell in his batt, like somebody else suggested above. +1 on replacing the batt to be safe.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Determine if a cell is dead, then replace if need be.

Name:   DC-Volts.gif
Views: 86
Size:  16.1 KB
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

^ I agree, but if the batt is a few years old and not holding charge, good chance that it's due for replacement anyways.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang