2012 Mustang Rear Faux Gas Cap Pony Emblem Removal HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lightbulb 2012 Mustang Rear Faux Gas Cap Pony Emblem Removal HELP!

I am putting a custom emblem replacing the pony emblem on the rear faux gas cap via the deck lid.

Is it possible to remove pony emblem in the center?

I was told to possibly pry it off using newspaper and a flat head...

it's hard telling how it is installed on there.
Aurora_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If it is simply glued on, as it sounds like it is, use a hair dryer to loosen the glue underneath the emblem. A heat gun would probably be over kill.
javallama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
On my 14', it was held on via a few plastic tabs that will pop free and some double sided tape. While heart rending, I heated it up with a hair dryer then used a wide flat head screw driver and a credit card to protect the edge when prying. For my part, I kept a visual in mind of constant pressure of easing the tape up. First time is the worst. I've pulled mine off a few times since to try some different things. You'll be fine.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
On my 14', it was held on via a few plastic tabs that will pop free and some double sided tape. While heart rending, I heated it up with a hair dryer then used a wide flat head screw driver and a credit card to protect the edge when prying. For my part, I kept a visual in mind of constant pressure of easing the tape up. First time is the worst. I've pulled mine off a few times since to try some different things. You'll be fine.
Sounds good. I got a custom emblem to install so I'm replacing the V6 "give away" pony emblem. Just didn't want to pry this off and figure out that it would leave gaping holes to be filled.
Aurora_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora_2012 View Post
Sounds good. I got a custom emblem to install so I'm replacing the V6 "give away" pony emblem. Just didn't want to pry this off and figure out that it would leave gaping holes to be filled.
OK, you have my total interest now, so tell me, where did you get the custom emblem. A picture of what you got would be nice

Edit: BTW I found this link that may help with the removal as well:
How to remove my trunk emblem
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Wish I'd seen this a week ago. Just put mine back on. Painted the chrome donut gloss black to match the center panel. If you're referring to removing the entire faux gas cap, yes there are 4 pins but it's really secured with auto tape. There are two guide pins (one at noon, one at 6 o'clock) that simply align with holes. Two other pins are the type with ridges and they sort of securely push into a plastic clip receiver plug thing lol. The pins are located more towards the center of the cap, the insert part of the cap (black center with pony or GT or snake logo). Heating with a hairdryer and steady pressure (Harbor freight plastic trim removal kit works) will get the tape to release. Fishing line will only go so far due to the pins. When prying and it starts to lift, be sure to move to the other side to lift the gas cap off as straight as possible, otherwise you could damage the pins. They're pretty sturdy as far as plastic pins go so no need to worry too much. Just don't lift one side only to remove it.If you're referring to the center part of the cap, I believe you have to pull the whole cap and carefully drill or grind spots that have a plastic weld on the backside. Man...was it stang net or svt I saw that...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...A96-80s78PNgbw

At bottom of thread is the link to emblem pros with good directions.
Good luck!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 mustang