Ordered the MMD hood scoop - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have a hood scoop too and it has some gaps not terrible what do you guys think about stripes over the top to completely cover the gaps. Would it work I have heard it would ruin the stripes because of the gaps but maybe not if it was a thicker material used for the stripes. BTW I like how your hood scoop turned out it looks really nice. Had I seen you posting it earlier I would have recommended getting some lights under the scoop to make it be an eye catcher at night and at shows. It would have been good to do it while you had it off.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Here's what I mentioned earlier. Sorry for the quality it's rgb so you can make it any color you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-28 22.28.27.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	198935  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
I have a hood scoop too and it has some gaps not terrible what do you guys think about stripes over the top to completely cover the gaps. Would it work I have heard it would ruin the stripes because of the gaps but maybe not if it was a thicker material used for the stripes. BTW I like how your hood scoop turned out it looks really nice. Had I seen you posting it earlier I would have recommended getting some lights under the scoop to make it be an eye catcher at night and at shows. It would have been good to do it while you had it off.
Thanks and holy hell thats a cool idea! That's the beauty of no tape... I can pop that baby off in 30 mins if I need to. Hmmmmmmmmm...

As for the vinyl, I wouldnt go over a gap, it will be very visible. Get crafty and find a way to fill the gap first? Some thing that you can work in that wont ruin the paint? I'll try to think of something too.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Dont give me too much crap, but what about peeling off one string of this foam stuff and tucking it in with a credit card to fill the gaps, then wraping it?

Flexible foam
Old 03-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not too worried about it. It's only noticeable from up close I just wanted it to look like it could come like that from factory. BTW the lights upgrade was only 13 dollars and I think u get like 16 feet of lights I used about 3 and it comes with 3m to stick it on though I used some extra pieces to make sure it really stuck. I did a zig zag pattern on the hood scoop and put the reciever in there then just got the remote reciever and extended it and ran it in through the firewall right to the steering column where it's not visible. Don't forget to use a fuse in the wiring. They're really cool for shows you can make them any color you want just like with the ford my color on premiums and u can make them flash one color or flash diffrent ones. The options are infinite for these lights you can even get them to work with your music and change as ur music changes in bass and such. Just go on ebay and search for smd 5050 lights
Old 03-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
I'm not too worried about it. It's only noticeable from up close I just wanted it to look like it could come like that from factory. BTW the lights upgrade was only 13 dollars and I think u get like 16 feet of lights I used about 3 and it comes with 3m to stick it on though I used some extra pieces to make sure it really stuck. I did a zig zag pattern on the hood scoop and put the reciever in there then just got the remote reciever and extended it and ran it in through the firewall right to the steering column where it's not visible. Don't forget to use a fuse in the wiring. They're really cool for shows you can make them any color you want just like with the ford my color on premiums and u can make them flash one color or flash diffrent ones. The options are infinite for these lights you can even get them to work with your music and change as ur music changes in bass and such. Just go on ebay and search for smd 5050 lights
Awesome info, thx! What power source do you wire it to?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I just got it straight from the battery and put a fuse on it and ran it up through the hoods heat shield so it wasn't visible.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Site Line

Can you post a Picture from the drivers seat looking down the Hood?
Captain Ron 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron 3.7 View Post
Can you post a Picture from the drivers seat looking down the Hood?
Yeah, I'd be very interested in seeing that too... been trying to decide if I want one and that's part of the decision. Thanx in advance
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I will when I get home. But trust me, that is easily the best part!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

So like I was saying, the view from the cockpit is by far the best. Makes the Stang feel much more "muscular" and adds to the somewhat bare hood.

I've been keeping a very close eye on any kind of shifting or vibration and it hasn't loosened or moved even a smidge. When I push hard on it it still rocks the car, so I'm feeling pretty solid about the install without the tape (fingers crossed).

Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hell YEAH!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Looks Good & Thanks!
Captain Ron 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron 3.7 View Post
Looks Good & Thanks!
Thanks. Lmk if you are going to install. Got some tips for you if you add bolt points. Even with using the tape, the extra bolt point should help with gap consistency.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Thanks. Lmk if you are going to install. Got some tips for you if you add bolt points. Even with using the tape, the extra bolt point should help with gap consistency.
Great job! Really well done, but it would have been nice if there were some pics of how this was done.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I took pics along the way, I will try to find time to post a good detailed write up soon!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE: YOU MUST USE THE TAPE!!!

Oxford5 was 100% correct, without the tape the scoop cuts into your vinyl and most certainly would damage your paint.

On the bright side, thanks to Oxford5 I kept an eye on it and corrected it before any real damage was done.

Also, using the 3 extra bolts WITH the tape seemed to give me a very nice consistent seal, so my work wasn't a complete waste of time. lol
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
I took pics along the way, I will try to find time to post a good detailed write up soon!
Awesome write up! Thank you!
MMD hood scoop PLUS 3 bolt install DIY
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang