Ordered the MMD hood scoop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Ordered the MMD hood scoop

I've read plenty of comments on here and AM about the inconsistent gaps, but I have a plan that should completely seal the gap so I'm hoping it looks as good as I think it can.

I was suppose to get it today... but surprise, we got hit with a foot of snow last night! Love me some Midwest weather (not so much).

Anyway, the plan is this... my stripes are roughly 22" wide edge-to-edge on my hood. The scoop is 20" wide so I will be putting the matching stripes on the hood pre-install. When I do that, I'm going to leave a half inch of vinyl on the edges (with the backing still on) so once I have her installed I can carefully go around the edge and seal the vinyl on the scoop to the vinyl on the hood.

If all goes as planned, I will have a *****in hood scoop that matches my stripes and has a nice tight consistent seal. As an added bonus I am having "MUSTANG" cut into the vinyl so that it will show "MUSTANG" in DIB on the sides of the scoop (a subtle 6" wide which I think will add some "pop" to the hood).

Anyway, I'll be posting pics during the process and hopefully it will go pretty smooth!

Side note: I know people are split on the scoops and I will get the "fake" comments, but those people better not have side scoops on their Pony. lol I just love the look of a scoop on a muscle car and feel it adds to the rather bare hood.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Since my scoop isn't coming today I decided to mock it up in PS. This is a general representation of what I HOPE it will look like in the end...

Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Some gangster stuff you have going on with your ride man.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Some gangster stuff you have going on with your ride man.
Damn straight... I'm an OG, baby (just watched "Creed" last night, couldn't resist). lol
Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Damn straight... I'm an OG, baby (just watched "Creed" last night, couldn't resist). lol
Lol. I am supposed to pick up my ride tonight with the suspension work and brembos on. can't wait...
Old 03-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. I am supposed to pick up my ride tonight with the suspension work and brembos on. can't wait...
I'm Bizarro Zombie... I'm not modding another performance item until the Pro Charger a couple years down the road. Right now I'm fully addicted to getting the outside looking EXACTLY how I want it. lol

When it comes time for the Pro Charger I'll be PMing you left and right.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458857170.466548.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	198710
It's gonna look good don't worry (just slight gap as you've mentioned)

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Attachment 198710
It's gonna look good don't worry (just slight gap as you've mentioned)

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Yeah I noticed you have one and really like it. I'm a freak about tiny details so I'm thinking my vinyl wrap trick will keep me from bugging out about any gaps. Plus your ride is dark and I read that the gap is much less noticeable on dark Stangs... so I'll def need the trick on my vinyl silver stripes!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

My car officially has suspension work and brembos

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458871711.898904.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	198734Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458871724.603730.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	198735

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Love those wheels... You must have good taste. Lol

Dude I want to paint my calipers and put a pony on them!!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Sorry for the bad pictures. I had to hurry up an snap a couple before the sun went down.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Love those wheels... You must have good taste. Lol

Dude I want to paint my calipers and put a pony on them!!
But the Brembos are so heavenly!!! Those 14" rotors
Old 03-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry for the bad pictures. I had to hurry up an snap a couple before the sun went down.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

But the Brembos are so heavenly!!! Those 14" rotors
They are very cool, but my brake package stops extremely well and I need to save for a Pro Charger!! Lol
Old 03-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Hmmmmm............May I ask --- why a hood scoop when our cars are fender breathers?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Hmmmmm............May I ask --- why a hood scoop when our cars are fender breathers?
Purely looks. Just like side scoops or rear spoilers.

I just feel the hood seems bare.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Hood vents!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hood vents are cool but I really love the side profile of a Stang with a scoop. Personal preference. Lol
Old 03-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Sounds like a black eye to me!!!!'

Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a black eye to me!!!!'

Huh?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Hood Scoop = Black eye from yo' boy

Hood Vents = Respect

Just messin...
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

While vents are cool, I'm all about tying looks together. I have the side scoops so the hood scoop will complement them nicely.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, the scoop came today and I set it on my Pony just to see how it will look. One thing I noticed is if AM added just 3 more bolt points (middle of both sides and middle of back), we wouldn't need any tape at all. I pressed down on these 3 points and the scoop would be tight and flush if they added those. Otherwise I am very pleased with the condition it is in and the quality.

I decided the grill on the scoop doesn't show enough so I am painting it metallic silver to match my stripes and front grill. If it looks lame when I'm done, then I'll just paint it gloss black to match my side mirrors.

I'm stoked to get this on but it will be next weekend before I'm ready to install... hope it turns out as gnarly as I think it will!

Old 03-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
The tape also acts as an insulator to keep the scoop from scratching the paint. If you had anything else besides the tape it would move and scuff the paint and possibly rub the paint right off. It's a necessary evil.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
The tape also acts as an insulator to keep the scoop from scratching the paint. If you had anything else besides the tape it would move and scuff the paint and possibly rub the paint right off. It's a necessary evil.
Thanks! Evil it is!!

With my stripes on I wonder if I could create 3 more holes and let the vinyl protect the paint? Hmmmmmm
Old 03-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Got the grill painted and I think it's definitely the way to go. I need to see it in the sun but so far I really like the look it gives it...

Old 03-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Looks Great! Nice Work adding a Personal Touch.
Captain Ron 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hood scoops rock! The MMD looks the best of the "stick on" type imo. Those gaps are the reason I wouldn't buy one.You mentioned 3 more points needed to secure it? Any room underneath to epoxy something in those spots to be drilled for a screw hole? Just thinking hdpe or some type of plastic could work? The other screws are holding the scoop down so you're not talking a lot of holding power needed. Just a thought.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Hood scoops rock! The MMD looks the best of the "stick on" type imo. Those gaps are the reason I wouldn't buy one.You mentioned 3 more points needed to secure it? Any room underneath to epoxy something in those spots to be drilled for a screw hole? Just thinking hdpe or some type of plastic could work? The other screws are holding the scoop down so you're not talking a lot of holding power needed. Just a thought.
Yeah I have been trying to figure out a way to add bolt points to those 3 spots. When I sit it on my hood and press down on those spots, the scoop is PERFECTLY flush. I mean flawless tight consistent gap. So I'm hitting Menards today to see if I can figure something out.

If I do figure it out, I'm wraping my vinyl around the edge and skipping the tape. That should keep it from moving and damaging the paint AND allow easy removal for any future needs (rewrap vinyl, etc).

MMD... Add these three bolt points please!!
Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I figured out how to add the 3 bolts. I hope to have it installed by midnight.

I just finished drilling the first hole... I think I need some Imodium AD now.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Everything went as planned but 3 bolts were too short so all I have left is to get three longer bolts, silicone the drill holes, and install the scoop. Hope to have that done by noon!

BTW I'm channeling MacGyver on this one... used bubble gum at one point. I poo you not! lol
Old 03-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Installed! And the only tape I used is to secure the grill to the scoop.

So I figured out that I could use my grinder bit on my drill to make the 3 extra bolt point. Just notched them into the existing plastic piece where the original four bolts and tape goes.

I use the unused 3M tape to secure the bolts to the scoop so the wouldn't move during installation. The pattern sheet that came with the scoop worked perfect to make the original four holes. once I got those drilled I left the pattern paper on, flipped the scoop and put 3 wads of gum (MacGuyver) were my new bolt points were going, then set the scoop back in the original four holes and the gum stayed where my new points needed to be.

Got those drilled out, silicone the holes to prevent corrosion, and set the scoop in with all 7 bolts. It fit perfectly and I put a rubber washer (keep any vibration noise down), metal washer, lock washer and nut on all bolts.

Then I started with the 3 new bolts and hand tightened them. This allowed the scoop to pull down flush. I then hand tightened the rest, put my hood back down and was able to shift the scoop to be perfectly centered on my stripes.

Once all that was done I tightened the 3 new bolts first, then the original 4 bolts and booyah... installed!

The scoop is perfectly flush on all points and VERY secure, without the use of tape. You can't even see sunlight when looking into the scoop.

All I have left to do now is use a bolt cutter on the bolts that were a little long and then put the under insulator back on.

Next up is to put the stripes on the hood scoop but that won't happen for a couple weeks yet.

I think it's hard to argue that the side profile of a Stang with a scoop isn't damn nice looking.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I hope it works out for you. I think you will find that eventually the vibration from everyday driving will cause the scoop to rub right through the vinyl and into the paint. In time this will prob cause the paint on the hood to peal out from where the scoop is. I am not trying to be negative at all. I know your happy with your modifications to it. I did body work for several years and have seen the aftermath of this type of part being bolted on a car without the use of the tape. Another thing to consider, without knowing when the scoop was painted, you may want to wait 60 days before you ad vinyl to it. If the paint is fresh, adding vinyl to it before it fully cures can cause the vinyl to fuse with the clear and make it very permanent. Just throwing in my .02. Again not trying to rain on your parade.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt take it that way, no worries. I factored in what you said and took my time. The rubber washers and lock washers I feel will eliminate any rubbing. I tried to push the scoop hard enough that it rocked the car and there was no play or shifting. The beauty of it is I can keep an eye on it and always add tape later if need be.

Also when I add the vinyl I will over lap a half inch which will add even more rigidity. I just hate tape and gaps so hopefully it works. And I also factored in that with the holes I would have to have the hood redone and painted if I took it off anyway, so I'm not going to sweat it

Good advice on the paint, though AM has these painted and stocked so there's a good chance it's been cured for at least a month already.

I do appreciate the thoughtful heads up!
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
NICE!!! I'm with you, I'd rather have the hood repainted 5? or whatever years down the road than have the "look it's fake" gaps. Nice to see a DIY mod work out
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Once again, you take a part I'm not overly fond of and give me a newfound respect for it. Bravo sir.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Lol Thanks guys

I have a feeling that wrapping it will be a lot harder than the install

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang