Suspension (post install) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Suspension (post install)

So I just got some work done on my suspension. I was just wondering, what should I expect as everything settles in? Right now, I get some spring chatter in the front when turning the wheel back and forth all the way (driving or idle). I say it is the springs because strut mounts usually make a distinct popping. Which is not the case in this situation.

Also. I just got my Brembos installed. Those rims clear them just fine and are the 19x8.5 ones sold by AM.

Here is what my suspension received:

GT500 Strut Mounts
Eibach Pro Shocks and Struts (05-10)
Eibach Pro Springs
BMR Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arm
BMR Rear Upper Control Arm Bracket
BMR Rear Lower Control Arms (non-adjustable)
BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets
BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar
BMR Panhard Brace
Eibach Camber Bolts

I do want to point out the Eibach camber bolts did not fit into the bolt holes on the Eibach struts (stupid, huh?). So the shop has to widen the hole by drilling it out a little. Just in case anyone else experiences this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12910481_10209149609005130_67215818_n.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	198748   Click image for larger version

Name:	12884541_10209149609365139_602565599_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	198749  

Click image for larger version

Name:	12512351_10209148338773375_4697504073606693260_n.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	198750  
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

The install of the rear suspension was a success for the most part. The pinion angle came out to about 1.5 degrees. I think for these autos, 1-2 degrees is ideal. The Lower control arm brackets were set to the middle bolt hole.

Now the panhard brace was tricky. It does NOT clear the exhaust piping on the 2014. At least for me. The over axle pipes were kinda against them and would have clunked when hitting bumps and such. So the shop fabricated a spacer for it and now it clears it about 1/2 inch.

The panhard bar itself was set correctly and the rear axle is centered.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
When you say the Panhard brace wouldn't clear the exhaust, what exactly does that mean? The over the axle pipe can be adjusted by loosening the bolts at the midpipe and the muffler and you simply twist the pipe whichever way you need to clear said items and then tighten it back up.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

It is hard to explain other then what was posted vs. seeing it. I will see if I can get a picture of it later today.

But this is the part I was referring to. In case anyone else was wondering...

BMR Mustang Upper Panhard Bar Support - Hammertone Finish PHR007H (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

I am willing to bet all that needed to be done is the OTA adjustment. I have the Steeda Panhard bar brace and it is fine, these braces are all the same basically.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Alrighty. Do you know if there should be any noise in the front springs right after the install? From what I gathered, I should expect a hair more of a drop as everything settles in, in the next week or two?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

I didn't experience anything like that with the "chatter". Yes the springs will settle a little, it won't be a ton of difference. Did the shop put the spring insulators from the old springs on the new springs before they installed them?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

The rubber insulators were indeed installed.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

So they took apart your old struts to get these off correct?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Yes. I was talking with Hampton on here and he mentioned he got a little bit of noise from the front springs when the middle/single nut to the strut wasn't tightened down as much as it should be. So I might try checking this later today. Looks like a 21 MM deep socket.

The spring ends were seated against the ends on the strut properly. I am thinking just a matter of checking the tightening at this point.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I do want to mention how much different the back end of the car feels now. I love how when I accelerate, it just goes. Not nearly as much squatting as it used to do. Not sure how I ever lived with the stock suspension.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
The install of the rear suspension was a success for the most part. The pinion angle came out to about 1.5 degrees. I think for these autos, 1-2 degrees is ideal. The Lower control arm brackets were set to the middle bolt hole.

Now the panhard brace was tricky. It does NOT clear the exhaust piping on the 2014. At least for me. The over axle pipes were kinda against them and would have clunked when hitting bumps and such. So the shop fabricated a spacer for it and now it clears it about 1/2 inch.

The panhard bar itself was set correctly and the rear axle is centered.
Hey Z_Slayer
I don't recall seeing any talk about the Panhard "Brace", up to now.
Has it been determined that it does, in fact, make a difference and is a recommended upgrade when doing other suspension work?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

It's one of those things I probably didn't need. And if you didn't tell me it was there, i wouldn't even notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 04-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
It's one of those things I probably didn't need. And if you didn't tell me it was there, i wouldn't even notice it.

LOL
I did do a "little" research into it and it seems some feel that the OE brace is so flimsy that the after market has to be better. But no substantial info.
Thought maybe the question might stir up some in-house expert discussion.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
No trouble with the J&M panhard bar brace clearing on my 14. What brand did you get brother? Also in regard to OEM flimsy panhard brace remark; yes, big time! When I installed my J&M this past Thurs, the OEM was flexing with my hands with moderate effort.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I got the BMR one.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Weird about the clearance. I'm happy I saw your post about the panhard bar brace though. That think was shockingly flimsy. Prompted me to swap mine out.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang