what kind of speakers did you guys replace your fronts with? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
a lot of people recommended these. maybe i'll get em eventually too. let me know how the install goes.

where you getting the brackets from?
Dammit... I need brackets? Lol

Prob my local audio dealer? Or maybe i can drill some holes in the existing mount... Hmmmm
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #37
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just get the brackets from a dealer. Should be around $15 each and then you're still under $100 for a good upgrade. Let us know how you like them. If I stop finding good deals on performance stuff I'll be looking to increase my noise up front as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Dammit... I need brackets? Lol

Prob my local audio dealer? Or maybe i can drill some holes in the existing mount... Hmmmm
yeah you have to use the ford brackets bc if you have a 13/14, the cars use a 5.25 inch speaker with a tweeter. it's not a standard like 6x9 speaker.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

JBLs coming tomorrow... I'm stoked!

Check out these Pioneer 8" subs that are shallow enough to swap out our door subs. I might have to pull the trigger on these next since I would like some tighter bass. Not MORE bass, just a really tight punch.

Pioneer subs
Old 04-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm looking at the Shelby door subs, plug and play

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Whoever does an install of the front speakers and subs, please take some pics of your install. That would be really helpful for the rest of us. Thanks
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I just added a 12" sub in the trunk with a 500 watt amp, huge difference but now I'm going to replace the door speakers with some 5" subs and make a custom bracket to make them fit.
Then the daunting task of replacing the rear speakers.
Its amazing how **** the factory speakers are in the base cars.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Hell I have the premium package and the sound is like the speakers are under water lol
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Just get the brackets from a dealer. Should be around $15 each and then you're still under $100 for a good upgrade. Let us know how you like them. If I stop finding good deals on performance stuff I'll be looking to increase my noise up front as well.

So any Ford dealer should have the brackets? Damn brackets will cost half of my speakers but there's no getting around it.

The factory speakers are super easy to remove and they are light as a feather... couldn't cost Ford more than $5 a speaker. lol
Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Whoever does an install of the front speakers and subs, please take some pics of your install. That would be really helpful for the rest of us. Thanks
+1!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
+1!
I took pics of the door panel off and the factory speaker removed. I'll do a write up this weekend when I have time, but you will be shocked at how easy it all is.

I'm used to removing my door panel now, but the speaker is literally 3 screws and one cable clip. Once I get the brackets I will be able to install both speakers in under an hour easy.

This is how nice they will look when finished...

Soooooo much better than the feather weight garbage that Ford slapped in there. I can't wait to hear the difference!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #47
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on how bad the base model spkrs sounded......at least they didn't try and tell me they were premium.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

hi guys, was just following your posts and wanted to throw out some thoughts and ideas for you - I used to be a car stereo installer and I've had my 2011 premium apart a few times.

Here's some thoughts for you
Ohm rating - door and back door full range speakers are 4 ohms. Shaker door woofers are 2 ohms
replacements - if you replace the factory 2 ohm woofers with a 4 ohm speaker your sound output will go down. More resistance means less current and your power output goes down. Plus there's the efficiency of the speaker itself to consider. Most of the time factory speakers are built to play loud, not sound good. Apparently OEM manufacturers think consumers want quantity over quality and they're probably right. Aftermarket speakers are generally less efficient. So you you change the door woofers add an amp to them for better quality sound. Or here's a really strange one for you - keep the factory woofers and add an amp. The factory speakers will play clearer and a lot louder with an amp. Don't worry about blowing them up either, for all the years I've been doing this I've only seen one or two speakers blow up from too much power. It's always not having enough, the amp or radio distorts, sends that distortion into the speakers and they overheat trying to play the distorted sound.
My own thoughts - I ended up swapping out the front speakers for some custom ones that I made from component speakers and they sounded better than the factory ones. Used a 4" driver and separate tweeter. Next time I'll use a 6x8 because it would have more midbass. I didn't change the door woofers, I kept them stock and added a very shallow sub box behind the back seat that is removable with a pair of 8 inch woofers and a 150 watt amp driving them. For me it's just the right amount of bass and the output is adjustable with a volume control mounted in between the map lights in the headliner.
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, I really love the stereo stuff almost as much as the gearhead stuff and I hope the input helps
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I do know that the door and rear deck speakers in my 2013 are 2 ohm. That is reading it right off the speaker.
I also know that if you put the Shelby/Kicker door subs in with the stock stereo they recommend adding an amp, on mine with the nav it is not needed

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:54 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
I do know that the door and rear deck speakers in my 2013 are 2 ohm. That is reading it right off the speaker.
I also know that if you put the Shelby/Kicker door subs in with the stock stereo they recommend adding an amp, on mine with the nav it is not needed

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Yeah I read 2 ohm as well. These jbls are apparently 2 or 4 according to their description. Some funkadelic tech I guess lol

I cant find brackets anywhere!!!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

If I like these JBLs enough I may get 2 for the rear and those 8" subs for the doors and throw a amp on the entire thing. I would pay a audio place for the amp part though.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I like these JBLs enough I may get 2 for the rear and those 8" subs for the doors and throw a amp on the entire thing. I would pay a audio place for the amp part though.
If you are not doing an amp on the rear you do not need to worry about changing out the speakers, you can almost not hear them and they are a pain to change.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
If you are not doing an amp on the rear you do not need to worry about changing out the speakers, you can almost not hear them and they are a pain to change.

Your comment is totally spot on, rear speakers should fill in the front ones, not sound like a separate source. They call it front stage and rear fill.

Weird thing about 2 ohms on the 2013 speakers, I'm supposed ford would use such a difficult speaker to drive. 2 ohms is a tough load. Makes replacing them difficult too, any 4 ohm replacement speaker won't play loud enough

Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

After my sub install in the trunk I have the fronts tuned almost off because they sound so bad.

Sent from the future.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Well I finally got the driver side installed. I had to rip apart the oem speaker so I could fab a bracket out of it. It was a tight fit but it's in there solid.

Sound is slightly better, but I'm damn glad I didnt blow $30 on mounts. I can live with $65 for slightly better sound though.

Question: If I had the wires reversed would it sound like crap? I think I got them right but maybe not and that is why the sound isnt much better?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I will say there is more bass now, but that wasnt my goal. Lol

If I did it again I would get 5x7 mid/tweets.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Tbh we have driven mostly fords all our lives and with the exception of my wifes 14 eco fusion EVERY ford factory radio has sounded like poop.
I'm thinking I should just remove ALL the oem crap and replace it.
C'mon ford even my friends base 04 malibu radio sounds better then my 13 stang lol.

Sent from the future.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Tbh we have driven mostly fords all our lives and with the exception of my wifes 14 eco fusion EVERY ford factory radio has sounded like poop.
I'm thinking I should just remove ALL the oem crap and replace it all.
C'mon ford even my friends base 04 malibu radio sounds better then my 13 stang lol.

Sent from the future.
This could be the answer. I hate only being able to control the bass and treble. Give us a damn equalizer!! Maybe I'll see if my local audio store can install one. Just like if I listen to music on my mac with my good speakers, if I dont adjust the equalizer in itunes they sound like crap.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I finally got the driver side installed. I had to rip apart the oem speaker so I could fab a bracket out of it. It was a tight fit but it's in there solid.

Sound is slightly better, but I'm damn glad I didnt blow $30 on mounts. I can live with $65 for slightly better sound though.

Question: If I had the wires reversed would it sound like crap? I think I got them right but maybe not and that is why the sound isnt much better?

Hey, I saw your post, here's how you check with your ears - fade all the way to the front. Turn bass and treble to middle setting. Listen to a song you like and know. Adjust balance all the way to left side and then right side. When the balance is in the middle the sound should be louder and fuller than it is all the way to the right or left. If it sounds tinnier when you're in the middle you've got polarity reversed on one side. Here's why - when you reverse the polarity by mistake one speaker is pushing the. One out while the other is pulling it in. They cancel each other out to a degree.

There's one other way you can check too, click here for the wiring diagram online - http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...Navigation.pdf

Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I'm good to go then. Thanks!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

lmao, they only sound slightly better? then im not interested anymore lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
lmao, they only sound slightly better? then im not interested anymore lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Yup, pretty big disappointment. I think where I messed up is I bought speakers that are too powerful and the stock stereo cant run them like they need to be. Might look into a cheap two channel amp to run just them and see what happens?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #63

Region: Colorado
I just have the base stereo, but I can't tell you how much replacing the front speakers helped. I went with some cheap Pioneer 6x8's. I wanted something efficient because of the weak factory amp. Cost $50 and took 45 minutes to install. Sounds like a different stereo. 5x7 or 6x8 should just bolt in. I didn't need any adaptors. I did buy the wiring adapters so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. They had those at Best Buy in the install shop. They were about $7.
rubic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Mine changed the sound a lot, I didn't get anything that needs a lot of power though

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #65
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on if you have the base model do it...I did all 4 with entry level Focals= an afternoon and $200 well worth it. I've described the base model oem's as sounding just like my buddies did after a night of drinking when I was the designated driver and they decided to play Bohemian Rhapsody on kazoos.

Not fun for a sober person.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

see, this is whats all over the internet. some people say it's a miracle and makes the sound so much better with new speakers...and others, like above, say it's a disappointment and waste of time/money.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

So I decided to save the JBLs for there rear and I got some round 5" sonys at walmart for $35. Sounded good on the display and run 35 rms. Deeper down the rabbit hole I go.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

My hunch is if I get an amp to run the rear jbl 6x9s it will fill the car with sound? I hate that the rears are useless as is.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

CONFIRMED... I installed the 5.25x5.25 Sony speaker and it sounded WAY better at the store display. It's got to be the stereo. I really think it would benefit greatly by simply adding an EQ. It's like when you cycle through the various EQ sets on a after market stereo... some settings sound like complete muffled garbage while others sound outstanding.

So the JBLs are going back and I'll install the other Sony just since it does sound ever so slightly better than the factory speaker, but in the end my advice is to leave the speakers alone.

Man what a major waste of time and money, though in the end I will only be out $40. Took one for the ME team at least. Someone else can jump on the next grenade. lol
Old 04-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had an audiophile once tell me that car makers juice up the bass and treble on their cheap amps to make them sound louder. I turn both of them down to boost the lacking mid range and it sounds the best to me. You do lose some punch but give it a try.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang