what kind of speakers did you guys replace your fronts with? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
what kind of speakers did you guys replace your fronts with?

so i'm researching it now, and of course when i thought it would be nice and simple, i found out the 13/14 have a different mounting bracket, so now you have to order these brackets from ford for like 11 a pop, plus shipping, so around $30 just for mounting, which is dumb as hell...
DOOR SPEAKER HOLDER | Genuine Ford | 4R3Z-18B947-AA

but i'm looking at these alpines:
Alpine 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers with Poly-Mica Cones (Pair) Black SPS-517 - Best Buy

58 bucks on amazon, so i'd probably go through there unless best buy will price match that. but then i'm also reading you need the adapter from crutchfield because the one on amazon (metra) is reversed polarity, so $12 from crutchfield for that.

Speaker Wiring Harnesses For select 1998-up Ford vehicles at Crutchfield.com

some people are saying it's worth it, some are saying it's not. for less than $100 it shouldn't be a hard project, and i'm sure it'll make it sound better.

what have you guys done? i'm not looking to add an amp or subs or anything; i've got the '14 premium, so i've got the built in door subs, and i'm fine with them. i just want a direct replacement of the speakers is all.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have JBL GTO 8628 6X8's in mine. Went with them since they are 2 ohm.
I did all 4 and the backs really are not needed, but I did them anyways.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you buy the speakers from crutchfield the wiring harness and mounting hardware should be free. Mine were when I ordered the alpines I put in there.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I'm interested in this because while my bass is rediculously good, the mids and tweets sound muffled. Reading the reviews on those Alpines it seems like the mids and highs will be much improved, I might lose bass quality?

Also, our round door speakers have oval speakers inside them?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

NM, I'm an idiot. Just searched google images and saw that the round lower speaker is the subwoofer and there is a dif speaker above it.

What is the exact dimensions of that speaker? Assuming if you get the same size it will be a easy swap out?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
If you buy the speakers from crutchfield the wiring harness and mounting hardware should be free. Mine were when I ordered the alpines I put in there.
well, crutchfield comes with their harness. so its 100 bucks at crutchfield, but i don't think they come with the plate thats needed to mount. the 13/14's are different in that the stock speaker is inside of this weird boxy bracket thing that you can't get out apparently bc they're attached, so you need a new one, which are the 10-12 ones i linked there from ford. that's what i read from people anyway, bc when the 13 first came out, everyone was flipping out bc they couldn't figure out what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
def just going to do my fronts, but does it matter if it's 4 or 2 ohm? someone said 4 ohm will be an upgrade, but if the headunit can only push a certain amount, then i'd rather match that. people say these alpines worked, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
I'm interested in this because while my bass is rediculously good, the mids and tweets sound muffled. Reading the reviews on those Alpines it seems like the mids and highs will be much improved, I might lose bass quality?

Also, our round door speakers have oval speakers inside them?
the speaker inside is actually a round like 5.25 inch speaker. there's a seperate tweeter..these are the premium ones only though. in the base model, its the paper speaker that's like 5x7 with the built in tweeter, but the premium has a 5.25 with the seperate one all in a bracket/box that looks like a 5x7.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the Bostons acoustics, they are decent, I have heard pretty good stuff about the infinity speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
LittleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
I'm using these for my door speakers on my 2011 (shaker 500). I changed the rear panel speakers to something but i don't remember the name.

If i had to do it over again, i wouldn't even mess with the rear speakers. A total waste of time and money
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I was looking at those JBLs last night for the same reason Siber stated. Crutchfield says to use 2ohm on the doors.

Question for Siber and David... Is there a noticeable dif after you installed the JBLs?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I was looking at those JBLs last night for the same reason Siber stated. Crutchfield says to use 2ohm on the doors.

Question for Siber and David... Is there a noticeable dif after you installed the JBLs?
It did sound better to me.
David, Pioneer
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. So the mids and highs sounded better? I hate tge muffled sound of tge factory speakers.

And David said he got the JBLs right? Lol
Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

people are saying the stock speakers are 4ohm and then they're saying they're 2 ohm so wtf is it? 2 or 4? if you run 2 that's less resistance if the stock is 4 which is a potential for the amp to blow out the speakers from what I recall, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Siber Express;2349521]It did sound better to me.
David, Pioneer

Yes, Pioneer. The JBL's have an adjustable tweeter, i pointed mine toward me when i installed them. At least they are for the 2011 Mustang's, don't know if the 13 and 14's are the same. I use Crutchfield for the part numbers but ordered mine from a place that is a lot cheaper for the same speakers.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The JBL's sounds a lot better than the Pioneer's i had. The speaker web site was sonic speakers or sonic audio, something like that.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
people are saying the stock speakers are 4ohm and then they're saying they're 2 ohm so wtf is it? 2 or 4? if you run 2 that's less resistance if the stock is 4 which is a potential for the amp to blow out the speakers from what I recall, but maybe I'm wrong.

What I read on our Stangs on Crutchfield is we want 2ohm on the front and 4 on the rear. 2ohm will not suck as much power from your amp apparently.

Ill find you the link! Its a very good read.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome Crutchfield article

The ohm part is in the comments section at the end.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

good read.

"Hi there, 2014 Mustang Coupe with the Shaker 500, I read that the 8 inch subs are 2 ohm essentially but what are OHM the rear deck speakers and the ones above the 8 inch sub in the doors, mine are a small midrange and a tweeter. Thanks"
"Gary, The rear deck speakers should be 4 ohms and the door speakers should be 2 ohms."

but is he saying the subs are 2ohms?? cuz the guy who asked the question asked about the subs.

so the JBL GTO's are the best way to go for 2ohm? i can't find any alpine 2ohm's. i had alpines in my old 01 frontier and they were pretty good.

also on crutchfield, if you put in the shaker 500 system, there's only options for rear deck speakers. no front speakers. you have to change it to "4 speaker" for the mustang to get front speakers enabled in the search..weird.

so this is about a guy with like an 05 stang, so still our year, but read on where the answer says stock are 4ohm and you want to stick with 4ohm:
http://fordnews.org/mustang/can-i-ge...ohm-stock.html

then again from here this guy says:
The other difference is that the 2013-2014 Shaker system uses 2-ohm door and rear speakers, along with an 8-channel external amplifier. If you replace the speakers it may or may not play as loud. Whether it'll sound "better" is entirely up to you.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/audio...-speakers.html

so what do we have in 13/14!?!?! 2 or 4ohm?!
Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Good find. The JBLs that the other two members on here have are 2ohm I believe. So I'm guessing it wont hurt?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have no idea. but i like those alpines how there wasn't much bass, which means you can blast the bass to make those subs work and the speakers themselves won't sound like crap

Old 03-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

This is where i got my JBL's Picture 1 of 6 for JBL GTO8628
Old 03-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That didn't work so good... Its sonic electronix. Search for that. They were almost 1/2 the price of everywhere else.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine from Ebay, it was the cheapest I could find anywhere. I also got the Radio brackets from one of our local Ford stores, but if you see a 2010-12 Mustang in the wrecking yard it should have the door spacers.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Did you guys notice any difference from your subwoofer performance after?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Alpines here. Have not changed the door sub woofer.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you guys notice any difference from your subwoofer performance after?

No. I think our factory subs (shaker 500) are pretty good. The door and rear deck speakers are made so cheap and weigh only a few ounces. The factory speakers were made so cheap, i wouldn't give them to my Son to put into his Honda
Old 03-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Is this what your OEM speakers looked like?
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

nah that's base model apparently for 13 and 14. premium has a 5.25 inch circle one and a separate tweeter

Old 03-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have the shaker pro, should I mess with my fronts?

G x crSent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolutionôh

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #29

Region: Illinois
I know this is the 13 / 14 forum, but I just have to vent....no one, including Crutchfield, has any information on replacing the speakers or head unit on the 2015 Mustang. Thank you for listening.
MWmustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The front speakers are def still 2 ohm. And basically 4 ohm requires twice the power to run. So I am taking Crutchfields advice and replacing with 2 ohm.

I dont want to draw power away from the already weak rears.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

you get yours yet? I'm still considering it.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
you get yours yet? I'm still considering it.

Prob next paycheck. I need to slow it down. Lol

But Im def getting 2 ohm. If they sound completely different I'll likely replace all over the next few months... Including the subs.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I believe I may have found the PERFECT replacement speakers for our Ponies. I just pulled the trigger... I can't stand the muddled highs and non existent mids anymore. I've always been big on JBL. I had a pair of JBL tower speakers for years and never had anything since that have sounded better.

Plus read up on their "4 ohm" tech... built to give 2 ohm performance so it doesn't suck your amp dry.

JBLs
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. JBL has been around for a long time.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe I may have found the PERFECT replacement speakers for our Ponies. I just pulled the trigger... I can't stand the muddled highs and non existent mids anymore. I've always been big on JBL. I had a pair of JBL tower speakers for years and never had anything since that have sounded better.

Plus read up on their "4 ohm" tech... built to give 2 ohm performance so it doesn't suck your amp dry.

JBLs
a lot of people recommended these. maybe i'll get em eventually too. let me know how the install goes.

where you getting the brackets from?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang