First Mustang, first manual - some questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
First Mustang, first manual - some questions

Well, I did it! After some research over the course of a couple of weeks, I knew I wanted a manual transmission even though I have only ever driven automatics. I knew that while I should get something roomy and capable of encouraging my outdoorsy hobbies, my heart was set on a Mustang. So two days ago I took the plunge and traded in my automatic 2003 Taurus and took a loan out for a manual 2012 Mustang! Half of me is loving it, half of me is wondering what the hell I just did! I have an assortment of various questions regarding upgrading my Mustang, living daily life as a Mustang only driver, and driving a stick shift. I also posted some photos of my new ride below!

So a few basic questions about the car itself:
- How do I cruise control? That's the one thing I forgot to ask about, and my old car's cruise control didn't work so I'm not really familiar with out that works.
- Is there a cover to go over the cup holders? I am a big guy and I am 6'1", and I am used to putting my seat all the way back. In the Mustang, I have to pull my seat up a lot in order to use the clutch (and put it back to get out of the damn thing), but then my elbow ends up falling in the cup holders instead of on the actual armrest... But then there's a problem of where to put drinks and various crap like my inhaler, phone, etc. Are there no other cup holder options?
- This may seem asinine, but any tips on getting in and out of the vehicle? Yeah, I'm not in the best of shape, but I'm working on it. Regardless, I struggle getting in and out (especially out). I feel like I'm gonna wear out the seat really quick putting my whole bodyweight on the outer edge while I get out.

I feel like I am in such a tiny vehicle. It's such a small space, I am not used to it at all. It would make me feel so claustrophobic were it not for the sun roof the Mustang came with.

Okay, some questions about driving stick shift:
- Can I go from 1st gear straight to 4th or 5th?
- Can I do down from 5th to 1st if I need to make a sudden stop?
- Any clutch tips? I'm struggling, even as a tall guy with my seat pulled up, pushing the clutch all the way down. It's not heavy, it just feels like it's such a long distance if that makes sense.
- Should I rely more on braking like I would in an automatic or downshifting and do engine braking?
- Any hill tips? It's terrifying when cars ride my bumper anytime I'm fully stopped. I live in a mid sized city so nothing like LA traffic, but East Tennessee has lots of small hills. I even wrote in window chalk on the rear window - "LEARNING STICK SHIFT PLEASE STAY BACK" but no one actually seems to read it. I've tried the emergency brake trick but I really struggle with it because I feel like that's too many thing to do at once trying to shift from 1st to 2nd while also letting go of the e-brake.
- Is it okay that I don't let the clutch all the way up in between 1st and 2nd gear? It's the only way I've found that makes it smooth. Sometimes between 2nd and 3rd too.
- I read something about a problem specifically with 2012 model manual transmissions. Anything I need to be aware of or look out for?

And finally, some questions regarding upgrading my pony:
- The Shaker system is okay I guess, but it's lacking in a lot of ways. Should I replace the speakers? If so, do I need to replace all six? How do I figure out what size to get? Any suggestions on speakers? Also, I have picked out this subwoofer and amp (click here) to put in the trunk if anyone has input on that.
- I am definitely upgrading the dash. I am going to put in this radio and GPS system. Will that be okay to install using this dash kit (click here)?
- I plan to install this dome light (click here) and these underdash lights (click here). Are these compatible? Are there other ones anyone would recommend?
- Additionally, are there ways I can add a glove box light, and lights in the back above the passenger seats? (what little room there is... it really is a 2 person car. I tried to have a friend in the back today and it was rough). It's pitch black in those areas.
- Should I get a radar detector? I'm a pretty chill guy and don't like going more than 5 or 10 over the limit, but I feel like being in a sporty muscle car would just increase the likelihood of getting pulled over.
- I probably could't fit a bike rack on this thing, huh?
- I didn't find the need for the GT version of this vehicle, but I really like the wing on the trunk and the two additional round headlights in the grill. Is there a way to cosmetically get those added? Would I need to go to Ford or could I do it?

Okay, so that turned out to be a lot of questions. I appreciate any and all input and help! While I did spend a lot of time thinking about my decision, I kinda just dove right in and brashly made the decision two days ago. Sink or swim, right? But it kinda freaks me out that I got a manual Mustang instead of an automatic or at least a roomier vehicle with more practicality. Despite that, I am so in love with this thing, too! I am about to turn 25, so this was an early birthday present, but also something I really needed in my life. I needed something that made me feel powerful and in control, and I needed something that challenged me and pushed me. This car is certainly doing that! I hope I continue to love it and get used to Mustang life!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-2169635429573380434.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	199005   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_ford_mustang-pic-3655194033800381191-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	199006  

Name:	2012_ford_mustang-pic-959298865346806569-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	199007   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_ford_mustang-pic-1009642913159233320-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	199008  

Name:	2012_ford_mustang-pic-6013624332025485096-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	199009   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_ford_mustang-pic-3328380787513073412-1024x768.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	199010  

juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the site.
Cruise control is easy, get to speed and hit the on button and then hit set. Hit the brakes or the clutch and it shuts off, get back to where you want to use it and hit resume.
I use the trans to slow down, but I do it 1 gear at a time. After you get to know it a little better you will get to know what gear you need to be in.
I would answer more but I need to get ready for work. Where are you at in Knoxville, I live in Clinton but work in Louisville and drive around town most of the day.
BTW, I am from LA, not even close with the traffic.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the Forum.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I don't think it would be smart to go from 5th to 1st as it could blow the engine. I'm like you I only have limited expierence with manuals but I would think for a sudden stop you would put the car in neutral and brake if it was an emergency.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can basically add anything cosmetically that a gt has to your car. So yes grill and wing can be added. Also checkout the automatic headlight switches you will need that with the fog light switch to get the fogs and it makes ur headlights automatic it's only 20 dollars and a 5 minute install plus it's ford. Also for lighting in t he back checkout what comes standard on the premiums they go in the back of the center console and add some light. Checkout sites like amerianmuscle.com they got plenty of products and you can get an idea on grills lights and wings.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your car should have hill assist, where it will hold the brakes for a second to give you time to go (it does this automatically). If not, what i have always done is held the e brake until i can feel the clutch engaging and then slowly release the e brake to start going. You shouldnt have to do this, but just be careful if you do because if you're too heavy on the gas or clutch you could spring forward and hit someone in front of you.

as was mentioned, cruise control is just a button.

As far as stopping goes, brake pads are cheaper than a transmission, use them to slow down. As far as if you can go from 1st to 5th or 5th to 1st the answer is it just depends.
I get lazy sometimes and will just floor it up to 60 or so in second and then go straight to 6th. This can be a little rough on the synchros since you are skipping so many gears, so make that a very slow and deliberate shift. Same thing going the other way around, if you find yourself doing like ... 30 mph in 5th for some reason then sure, you can do down to 1st i guess. It really goes back to the above point though, just use your brakes to slow down until you're comfortable enough knowing where each speed (mph) will put you in each gear. Its just something you're going to have to learn with each car.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
^^ hill assist was added for the 13/14 refresh.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
other hints:

do a Google search for clutch pedal extension it is impt to fully depress it.

cup holders suck

learn the tight left to right gates and how to use the centering spring. practice stopped in driveway but put it in 1st to go to 2nd pull back and to the left. if you just pull straight back the spring will try and move it into 4th or block it. when going from 2nd to 3rd you just push forward and let the spring guide it into 3rd. The spring always tries to hit 3/4th and you need to compensate for it. example and we've all done it is exiting the hwy cruising at 6th...drift over to the exit lane down shift to 5th to slow slightly and forget to compensate for the spring and do a 6th to 3rd down shift....

never downshift into 1st unless at walking speed!!!!!

practice in a quiet spot for hills and the phrase not completely releasing clutch scares me. (see riding clutch!)

I use the tranny to slow down if I'm going to be accelerating after the corner otherwise brakes. Keep it in gear foot off clutch use brakes till you get to a speed that is slow for the gear you are in then depress clutch. It was mentioned brakes are less than clutches.

look for the regional section and try and find someone local to do a drive along to help you learn clutch (buy lunch!)

1st to 4th does not work well in a v6 I'll skip the occasional gear but unless you are winding it out only skip one.

it's easy to go fast in this car.

Welcome to Mevo, Happy Bday, congrats, etc

Mud
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Beautiful

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-30-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Use your brakes for stopping. Going from 5th to 1st will only lock up the rear wheels and probably blow the trans. Always push the clutch in all the way to shift gears. Don't eat, drink or smoke in your Mustang, treat it with respect. Yes you can short shift, but not 1st to 4th or 5th. Try 2nd to 4th and then to 5th. Only use E Brake when parked and you are getting out of the car. The shaker system is just fine, don't ruin the small trunk with a amp and speakers. Why all the worries about lights? You are 25 not 70 years old.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
First off, welcome to the site. Plenty of useful information and plenty of users with knowledge to do just about everything there is to do on a mustang. With that said, in particular to things about manual driving. I've been driving stick shift every since I got my license (minus the day of the exam and when I rent a vehicle), so almost 15-16 years now. First, was a 95 manual civic, then 08 civic, and now 14 v6 mustang. While I've never had much issues with clutch, transmission, etc, I recently found a video on youtube titled "5 things never to do on a manual" by Engineering Explained. I will try and summarize the five things for you:

1. While at a stop light, never have your clutch in while light is still red (no back and forth rocking motion), you are not doing anything good to your transmission by doing that. Use your brakes, and when light turns green, go as normal.
2. Do not rest your hand on shift knob or foot on clutch pedal.
3. With our 2.73 ratios on manuals, if you are in 6th gear and want to floor it, do not floor it in 6th. You are asking the engine to work "harder" than it has to. Instead go to 3rd/4th and shift as appropriate.
I forgot the others or I might have combined them into my summary.

As far as uphills, the base mustang will "stay still" and give you a few seconds to get going, so you don't have to worry about rolling back.

Good luck and enjoy the manual transmission.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Welcome to the site.
Cruise control is easy, get to speed and hit the on button and then hit set. Hit the brakes or the clutch and it shuts off, get back to where you want to use it and hit resume.
I use the trans to slow down, but I do it 1 gear at a time. After you get to know it a little better you will get to know what gear you need to be in.
I would answer more but I need to get ready for work. Where are you at in Knoxville, I live in Clinton but work in Louisville and drive around town most of the day.
Why? Clutch is a pain in the nuts to do vs brakes. Save your clutch, use your brakes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
As far as your clutch questions, with experience everything will get much easier. For example, you will soon learn the sweet spot for the clutch so you won't have to fully depress it and yes when your on a hill you are right to ride the clutch until you get up to speed. Of course it depends on the steepness of the hill, but your going to hear people say that riding the clutch like that wears out the trans faster which is true. So your bound to get a lot of suggestions to do the e brake method. Now for the dome light, yes the bulb will fit fine just try not to break the dome. And you could put lights in the back and under the dash, but from the sound of it you probably should've gotten the premium package as all that is included in the 2013 model, I'm not to sure about the 2012 model. But it gets better man just tough it out. I forgot to mention when you get used to the clutch you will be able to put your seat back farther when driving since you won't need to fully press the clutch.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome fist thing first time for new wheels!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Given your location, the most important thing to do once you get used to the car is to take it to the Tail of the Dragon!!!!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why? Clutch is a pain in the nuts to do vs brakes. Save your clutch, use your brakes.
So I am supposed to
(A) put it in neutral and burn up the front half of the transmission
(B) lug the motor
(C) keep driving the way I have the past 38 years with many Manual cars, trucks and Semi's
Cough RPM Match Cough
Truthfully I was taught to always have your transmission in a gear you can drive away in and watch what is coming up behind you. In Semi's I used every bit of brake I had, including the engine brake.
I also do not know if the front half on the MT82 is oiling the front in neutral, but I know mine is getting oil when slowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Given your location, the most important thing to do once you get used to the car is to take it to the Tail of the Dragon!!!!
3 or 4 times a year, the Mustang like to go up and scare.... I mean see all the early morning wildlife
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where are you at in Knoxville, I live in Clinton but work in Louisville and drive around town most of the day.
I am in West Knoxville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
You can basically add anything cosmetically that a gt has to your car. So yes grill and wing can be added. Also checkout the automatic headlight switches you will need that with the fog light switch to get the fogs and it makes ur headlights automatic it's only 20 dollars and a 5 minute install plus it's ford. Also for lighting in t he back checkout what comes standard on the premiums they go in the back of the center console and add some light. Checkout sites like amerianmuscle.com they got plenty of products and you can get an idea on grills lights and wings.
So would that be something I do myself (well, with the help of my mechanic dad), and order the right color, or I would need to take to Ford to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
do a Google search for clutch pedal extension it is impt to fully depress it.
I found an extension on American Muscle, but is 1.5 inches enough of a raise? I feel like my knee comes up so high (like midways or more up the steering while height wise). I would love to be able to put my seat back more. Right now I have to drive with it scooted so far up that I can't get out of the car unless I scoot it back.

[QUOTE=Strange Mud;2350651]cup holders suck[QUOTE]

But I'm not always drinking things with screw on caps. I like coffee, for example. Is my only option really to have the cup holders sitting right there where my arm needs to be in order to shift properly?? Surely there are side door cup holders or something?

Quote:
learn the tight left to right gates and how to use the centering spring. practice stopped in driveway but put it in 1st to go to 2nd pull back and to the left. if you just pull straight back the spring will try and move it into 4th or block it. when going from 2nd to 3rd you just push forward and let the spring guide it into 3rd. The spring always tries to hit 3/4th and you need to compensate for it. example and we've all done it is exiting the hwy cruising at 6th...drift over to the exit lane down shift to 5th to slow slightly and forget to compensate for the spring and do a 6th to 3rd down shift....
This helped me SO much the past two days!! Thank you!!

Quote:
never downshift into 1st unless at walking speed!!!!!
So first gear is pretty much only for coming out from a dead stop? Today I played around with going from neutral straight to second. It helped me speed up faster to blend in with traffic. Is that okay to do? I'm terrified of stalling and killing the car as I am turning onto a high traffic road... Any time I have stalled it thus far it has been relatively safe. (Hopefully people heed the warning sign I wrote on my car's back window...) And so far the time between first and second gear is like a single second. I've not found a use for first gear unless I am going over speed bumps in my apartment parking lot.

Quote:
it's easy to go fast in this car.
Oh ya, I've noticed! I'm usually a safe driver and drive right at the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Use your brakes for stopping. Going from 5th to 1st will only lock up the rear wheels and probably blow the trans. Always push the clutch in all the way to shift gears.
I've found that engine braking is great for curves but brakes otherwise and shifting the car into neutral. Ya, my Dad (who gave me a 45 minute lesson as my first ever stick shift experience on Easter, the day before I got my car) told me that too.

Quote:
]Don't eat, drink or smoke in your Mustang, treat it with respect.
Well, that's not entirely practical. I'm not going to be shoving a burger down my throat or eating a messy sandwich or something, but on my way to work I have to drink a smoothie for my breakfast. Sometimes granola bars from work to the gym. Some food and drink consumption has got to happen, you know? And definitely not cigarette smoke, but the sunroof is perfect for flicking the ash of a blunt out the window! Just gotta be careful because I'm sure sport cars get pulled over more...

Quote:
The shaker system is just fine, don't ruin the small trunk with a amp and speakers. Why all the worries about lights? You are 25 not 70 years old.
Regarding lights, because it gets dark outside. But really, darkness plus having tiny backseats plus charcoal black interior... I can't see anything! Especially when my water bottle is black, lol!

Regarding the shaker system... it's fine. Exactly. I want better than fine. The amp and sub I linked to is a combined system that's not too terribly big and could easily fit into the very back of the trunk. Or hell, I could put it in the backseat since no one could really fit back there anyways! Hah. My main question is if I should replace the speakers as well when I get the sub/amp, or leave them as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
As far as your clutch questions, with experience everything will get much easier. For example, you will soon learn the sweet spot for the clutch so you won't have to fully depress it and yes when your on a hill you are right to ride the clutch until you get up to speed. Of course it depends on the steepness of the hill, but your going to hear people say that riding the clutch like that wears out the trans faster which is true. So your bound to get a lot of suggestions to do the e brake method. Now for the dome light, yes the bulb will fit fine just try not to break the dome. And you could put lights in the back and under the dash, but from the sound of it you probably should've gotten the premium package as all that is included in the 2013 model, I'm not to sure about the 2012 model. But it gets better man just tough it out. I forgot to mention when you get used to the clutch you will be able to put your seat back farther when driving since you won't need to fully press the clutch.
I thought I had to push the clutch in all the way always...?? I'm glad the dome light will fit thanks for checking out that link. I'm sure if I get the blue underdash kit too it will be plenty of light in the back since they'll be in the floor boards. I just really want blue interior lighting to match the blue car I've always wanted since childhood (and now finally have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Oh ya, I've heard lots about it! It kinda terrifies me though, I'm a fairly average driver and not one to speed much or do anything dangerous, lol! What if I am going too slow on it and the person behind me wanting to floor it gets mad?

Quote:
So I am supposed to
(A) put it in neutral and burn up the front half of the transmission
So... putting it in neutral is bad?? I started really utilizing that today instead of downshifting all the way back down to first, and it really has helped me at stop signs and red lights.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My mother is 5'7 and i got her that clutch pedal extension so she wouldn't have to eat dash to driver her car. I'm 6'0 and if i drive her car my knee hits the dash when i release the clutch, its very difficult / awkward for me to drive her car, i'd really hold out on that extension pedal if i were you.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the welcome, y'all! And I appreciate all of the tips and input. It's helped me out these past two days. I rode around today on some back roads that are very curvy and full of hills and stop signs. I was nervous at first, but then I made a serious connection with Jo (that's his name lol) and I was flooring it and feeling the revs and taking turns faster than I ever thought I would have... Wow! It was awesome. Are all manuals like that, or is this specifically a Mustang thing?

Most of my questions have been answered and my concerns addressed, but what about the dash kit I linked? Will that fit my car and work for the Pumpkin Radio Navigation system I picked out?

Is getting a radar detector worth it?

And what about fitting a bike rack on this thing? My dad said it would be sinful if I did that to a Mustang.

edit: I also wanted to add another photo of him I took today on my lunch break! I'm so happy about owning this guy! I'm not sure why my Snapchat photos I upload are vertical, but if you click it it's horizontal.

It took me a little while of driving to know what my new Mustang's name was! I ended up naming him Jo because I went and bought him on March 28, Lady Gaga's 30th birthday. Jo's namesakes are Gaga's middle name (Joanne) and Gaga's male alter-ego during the Born This Way era in 2010-11 (Jo Calderone). I blasted some Gaga on the drive home with great lyrics like "Let's blast off to a new dimension!" while gazing up at the stars through the sunroof, and "Ride, ride, pony, ride, ride!" while speeding down the highway. It was a beautiful occasion! (Her song "Highway Unicorn" is perfect for a Mustang... so is Marry the Night, too!)

So my new Mustang is Jo, and me and him get along great! Loving it!

edit again: What do you all think about the black covers over my headlights? You can see them in this picture and also in the first set of pictures. The tail lights are like that too, with a black dim cover over them. Thoughts? I guess I could keep them and go with a dark blue/black look and get black or gray wheels sometime.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapchat-219388319618612959.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	199097  
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My mother is 5'7 and i got her that clutch pedal extension so she wouldn't have to eat dash to driver her car. I'm 6'0 and if i drive her car my knee hits the dash when i release the clutch, its very difficult / awkward for me to drive her car, i'd really hold out on that extension pedal if i were you.
Well see, I'm 6'1" but feel like I have to scoot the seat up way too far and I'm all up in the wheel and my elbow falls in the cup holders. I'm hoping the extension would let me put my seat back more.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju View Post
Well see, I'm 6'1" but feel like I have to scoot the seat up way too far and I'm all up in the wheel and my elbow falls in the cup holders. I'm hoping the extension would let me put my seat back more.

I may be wrong but it's my understanding that every clutch "catches" either at the top, middle, or all the way pressed (which is rare in most cars). But our clutches catch somewhere between the middle and top, basically it opens up just wide enough to let u shift into different gears without grinding. This is something that comes with experience, but I could be totally wrong. I'm sure someone will chime in with their expertise.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I may be wrong but it's my understanding that every clutch "catches" either at the top, middle, or all the way pressed (which is rare in most cars). But our clutches catch somewhere between the middle and top, basically it opens up just wide enough to let u shift into different gears without grinding. This is something that comes with experience, but I could be totally wrong. I'm sure someone will chime in with their expertise.
My car is like that ya, the "sweet spot" or "catch" in the clutch is kind of in the middle when you're shifting. It's been my understanding that I have to press the clutch to the floor though during each upshift or downshift, and that's why I have to scoot the seat up so far despite my height... I was wondering how shorter folks drove these things!!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car is like that ya, the "sweet spot" or "catch" in the clutch is kind of in the middle when you're shifting. It's been my understanding that I have to press the clutch to the floor though during each upshift or downshift, and that's why I have to scoot the seat up so far despite my height... I was wondering how shorter folks drove these things!!

Heck no, or at least I don't think so. I just press the clutch in halfway or until I feel it catching and shift like that. I'm damn near 6"0 and I have my seat all the way back. But I think as long as it's not grinding then your good, I'm sure some expert will comment how much of an idiot I am in the morning lol. But this video should help will with your hill issues, quiet lengthy but definitely worth it in your case. http://youtu.be/Nc0R0tK-BIA

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Most Transmissions these days oil the front JuJu so don't worry about that. I was just screwing around with the guy giving me a hard time for the way I drive.
I am in West Knox County almost everyday, we have a lot of costumers off of Northshore.
The only time you really need to go all the way down with the clutch is when you are starting it, a little down from where you engage you should be able to shift although going all the way down is not a bad thing while you are learning.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

1st is for getting going from stop or walking speed. if you are already rolling from more than a few mph you use 2nd. I'm not saying go from 1 to 2 at slow speeds, this is if you went to neutral for traffic/bumps. folks that have the extension seem to like it but I don't want/need it so idk.

look for "Ultimate Cup Holders" they look like bike water bottle brackets you put them on the transmission tunnel

I wouldn't say neutral is bad and although you've already gotten different opinions on this pushing the clutch all the way in is good practice.

radar detectors...the problem is is that they don't work in the real world against laser (even though the ads say they do) which is what most depts use nowadays. however the cost of one ticket is about what a detector costs...I don't have one but friends do.

headlight covers dim the output of your lights. To this semi-old guy I find them silly form<function but Mustangs are best when they're made the way you want them not the way someone else wants.

can you get a bike in the back with seats folded? maybe learn to ride a unicycle if not try to put a tow receiver on the car and use that style bike rack.

practice & enjoy the ride
Old 04-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've talked to actual cops about detectors before. Every single one of them has told me that radar detectors/jammers don't do **** except give the cop a reason not to let you off with a warning. I wouldn't waste the money.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link to the Ultimate Cup Holders that Mud mentioned. Order the one for the BMW E39 5 Series. It fits perfectly.

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not a fan of those...

I have never had an issue with Ford's cupholders since the 2001 update in Mustangs which is similar to all the models of that era. My Expy has them too and I can roll around with a 44oz mega gulp or whatever it is called and no issues.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I am 5"4 and I have to have the seat right on top of the steering wheel. I have to have it all the way to the floor for some shifts and somewhere towards the middle for others. I am thinking of getting the extention - but my husband is 6 foot and it might bother him - but it is my car. I am just wondering if the inch and 1/2 really helps. Has anyone added it and finds it makes a good difference? Also - looking to move to Knoxville TN area - JuJu - do you like living there? I have a convertible - I am thinking the winter weather won't be so bad that I will have to store it all winter. Would you think that is true? TIA
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
I am 5"4 and I have to have the seat right on top of the steering wheel. I have to have it all the way to the floor for some shifts and somewhere towards the middle for others. I am thinking of getting the extention - but my husband is 6 foot and it might bother him - but it is my car. I am just wondering if the inch and 1/2 really helps. Has anyone added it and finds it makes a good difference? Also - looking to move to Knoxville TN area - JuJu - do you like living there? I have a convertible - I am thinking the winter weather won't be so bad that I will have to store it all winter. Would you think that is true? TIA
Old 04-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
A few thoughts on radar detectors. Be aware that these are my opinions; we all know what they say about those, so opinions will vary. And let me say up front that I am not condoning or encouraging speeding. Here we go:

A radar detector is a tool. It detects frequencies in the 3 major bands of police radar (and laser light) and will give you an indication when they are present. Some brands add various bells and whistles, but keep in mind that it isn't a magic box that keeps you from getting tickets. It isn't a cop detector. It just detects radar and lidar. If a person expects to put a detector in their car and then just set the cruise on 95 MPH without any care in the world, they will be very, very disappointed.

Again, a radar detector is a tool. In my humble opinion, it is a useful tool. However, one needs to study how radar works and how it is deployed. The detector needs to be combined with certain driving protocols to increase its effectiveness. Again, the detector is just a single tool in an overall plan. It is not a "get out of jail free" card.

Laser is a different animal. A detector will basically tell you when your speed is being checked with lidar. It will rarely (if ever) give advance warning on laser. That is the advantage of laser, and the reason why many departments are using it. A detector by itself is useless against laser... it will have to be combined with certain *ahem* "countermeasures" that can be expensive, hard to install, and may or may not be legal in your state. When a detector is combined with one or more lidar countermeasures and used with certain driving protocols, the entire plan is effective against laser... but the detector is just one part of that plan.

Radar is being used for a lot of things these days, and most of them set off the K band on a detector. Many vehicles use K band for the side and front warning systems. However, most departments use Ka band radar now, although there are still a few K band units out there. The increased noise and clutter on K band makes it difficult to discern what is police and what is commercial use.

And it is very possible you will still get pulled once in a while even when using a detector. As was mentioned earlier, most Law Enforcement Officials take a dim view of detectors and will issue a ticket if you are pulled.

With all this in mind, should you decide to buy a detector anyway, don't cheap out. Buy a Valentine One or Escort Max 360. Learn how to use it. And don't speed in school zones or residential areas... ever.

Detectors are illegal in Washington DC and Virginia. The police have detectors to find people using radar detectors, and are very serious about them not being used in those places. Detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles in all 50 states. Check your local laws before spending your money.

Again, opinions may vary...
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
A few thoughts on radar detectors. Be aware that these are my opinions; we all know what they say about those, so opinions will vary. And let me say up front that I am not condoning or encouraging speeding. Here we go:

A radar detector is a tool. It detects frequencies in the 3 major bands of police radar (and laser light) and will give you an indication when they are present. Some brands add various bells and whistles, but keep in mind that it isn't a magic box that keeps you from getting tickets. It isn't a cop detector. It just detects radar and lidar. If a person expects to put a detector in their car and then just set the cruise on 95 MPH without any care in the world, they will be very, very disappointed.

Again, a radar detector is a tool. In my humble opinion, it is a useful tool. However, one needs to study how radar works and how it is deployed. The detector needs to be combined with certain driving protocols to increase its effectiveness. Again, the detector is just a single tool in an overall plan. It is not a "get out of jail free" card.

Laser is a different animal. A detector will basically tell you when your speed is being checked with lidar. It will rarely (if ever) give advance warning on laser. That is the advantage of laser, and the reason why many departments are using it. A detector by itself is useless against laser... it will have to be combined with certain *ahem* "countermeasures" that can be expensive, hard to install, and may or may not be legal in your state. When a detector is combined with one or more lidar countermeasures and used with certain driving protocols, the entire plan is effective against laser... but the detector is just one part of that plan.

Radar is being used for a lot of things these days, and most of them set off the K band on a detector. Many vehicles use K band for the side and front warning systems. However, most departments use Ka band radar now, although there are still a few K band units out there. The increased noise and clutter on K band makes it difficult to discern what is police and what is commercial use.

And it is very possible you will still get pulled once in a while even when using a detector. As was mentioned earlier, most Law Enforcement Officials take a dim view of detectors and will issue a ticket if you are pulled.

With all this in mind, should you decide to buy a detector anyway, don't cheap out. Buy a Valentine One or Escort Max 360. Learn how to use it. And don't speed in school zones or residential areas... ever.

Detectors are illegal in Washington DC and Virginia. The police have detectors to find people using radar detectors, and are very serious about them not being used in those places. Detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles in all 50 states. Check your local laws before spending your money.

Again, opinions may vary...

Thanks for the info, thankfully I live in a small rural town where they still use radar. I can vouch that escort 360 is probably the best one on the market. I like the fact that it also has laser detection which has saved me quite a few times.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Laser detector will only help you if it is good enough to get sniff of the radar that was pointed at another car that glanced off . I have heard if the detector does go off if you can hit your brakes hard and not get hit from behind you may knock a few MPH off you speed. Otherwise you are dead.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Welcome aboard and nice ride !! Just my 2 cents on radar detection... mine saved me from two tickets in my last car and one in this one.👍👍👍 I think they're illegal in California but it's been worth it for me so far.
As far as your clutch, you guys will become one in about three weeks time, all clutches are different, shift different, and take a minute to be gotten used to. In no time, you should be able to recognize what speeds = what gear.
And btw, downshifting (5,4,3,2,1) will drastically improve the life of your brakes.
The thing I miss most about a manual is revving the hell out of it with the clutch in, and then wham, engage and spin em, have fun and be safe man!

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Laser detector will only help you if it is good enough to get sniff of the radar that was pointed at another car that glanced off . I have heard if the detector does go off if you can hit your brakes hard and not get hit from behind you may knock a few MPH off you speed. Otherwise you are dead.

Exactly, I have to drive through Atlanta to get school so it's very beneficial for me. My detector spots the laser far in advance. Only downside is if you are driving on a wide open country road with not much congestion then chances are your detector won't catch the laser until it's too late.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang