Project "protrillo" roush charged 2012 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Project "protrillo" roush charged 2012

Hey guys I have a 2012 mustang v6 with an mt82 6 speed. My car has full bolt ons as what follows
Airaid cai
Sr. throttle spacer
Bbk throttle body 73mm
Ngk plugs
Accel coils
373 ford racing gears
Ngw shifter
Upper control arm
Lower control arm brackets
Control arms
Sway bar
Adj pan hard bar
Se lowering springs
Koni shocks
Bump steer
Bbk header and x pipe
Nitto 555

Note I bought this car to have fun three years ago new I was going to buy a gt but did not see is reasonable to pay 10k more on just the tag plus insurance etc since I was going to college bills and you know.

I have made up my mind to start doing an engine swap with a built motor. I stumbled upon a new f150 5.0 for 2500 but said no due to the cam and pistons are different. Recently I was offered a new 2013 roush supercharged 5.0 for 6500 with 10k miles computer and harness.

Basically if you all could help me out what exactly I would need. I fear my transmission gears are too high for a supercharge engine or if it's weak for it and my 373 gears too tall as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1459786347.859398.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	199228Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1459786366.460039.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	199229

Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I would take a guess and say Transmission, Driveshaft, Intake, Exhaust, and possibly the rear axle/differential. I am sure things might need to be welded. You may also need stuff like a bigger radiator and possibly different motor mounts and such (I would think the bigger engine sits differently)

Just off the top of my head.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I believe everything was the same for both gt and v6 models except for the driveshaft transmission ratios from the top of my head. What stuff do you refer when talking about welding?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Well, I am sure the brackets and such for the 5.0 parts are set in a specific way that our 3.7s might or might not accommodate. So you may not have to, but there is always the possibility.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
No welding. Just acquiring the proper parts if not supplied.

It will bolt up no prob. It's all the little stuff that we see with swaps that buckle and dime guys. I would look at some of the other threads in here to get an idea.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What about suspension, I don't have any experience with engine swaps but would there be an excess of weight that the v6 suspension can't accommodate? Or is it the same as a gt.

snoots225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This 'swap' is going to cost a lot of $$$$.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I would just trade it in its not worth the trouble. Unless your really bored and have lots of money and time.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
This 'swap' is going to cost a lot of $$$$.
That and I am afraid of how it would fall under Insurance. Like, how do you insure that Frankenstein Mustang? Would you insure something else that someone fabricated up? (not really fabricated but you know what I mean)

Like, if it got into a wreck, what do you get back out of it? Only value = to a V6 Mustang since that is what the purchase order/VIN shows it as? Meaning you just lost out on over $10,000 possibly (swapping drive trains is not cheap)? I would say get a legit 5.0.

I am comfortable with my mods because Geico insured most of the mods (not headers, tune, gears, etc). Mainly just the appearance stuff like wheels, spoiler, etc, and brembos. So that will definitely save me some $$$ in case anything happens. They just advised for me to keep my receipts. And since I buy from AM, you can fetch any purchase order/receipt from their website.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I can get a full engine for about 3k with the computer. My car is paid off and to get another 5.0 would cost a lot more than the swap from what I've calculated also the swap is being done by one of my good friends who is a master mechanic at a ford dealership and recognized for his workmanship with awards and such.
Not to mention in a couple years I'll get a cobra, this car is my first car and my fun car.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

So you are getting all the stuff listed above for $3,000? That seems way too low for me for good working stuff. I would almost be skeptical. I can see just an engine, but also the transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, etc? Unless you have a donor car, I just don't see any way of getting all of that stuff for $3,000. That is pretty much the entire drivetrain and emissions system of a 5.0 for $3,000.

You cannot reuse your current driveshaft and exhaust for the 5.0.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
So you are getting all the stuff listed above for $3,000? That seems way too low for me for good working stuff. I would almost be skeptical. I can see just an engine, but also the transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, etc? Unless you have a donor car, I just don't see any way of getting all of that stuff for $3,000. That is pretty much the entire drivetrain and emissions system of a 5.0 for $3,000.

You cannot reuse your current driveshaft and exhaust for the 5.0.

No 3k for the engine, I understand I would need a new exhaust and driveshaft and as for the transmission it bolts right up as it's the same just different gear ratios from my knowledge. The engine will have a new billet oil gears boss 302r tensioners installed.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
No 3k for the engine, I understand I would need a new exhaust and driveshaft and as for the transmission it bolts right up as it's the same just different gear ratios from my knowledge. The engine will have a new billet oil gears boss 302r tensioners installed.

Will you also go about changing the badging on the car or leave it as is?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I think you'd be better off parting out and trading in if you want a 5.0

Old 04-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I saw a write up before on this on another site before (can't remember which and google isn't helping). A guy broke it down part by part and everything you would need and he estimated it would be about $12,000 in parts and another $6,000 in labor if I remember correctly. It was some outrageous number like that, plus he said your car would be un-drivable for probably what would be a couple months even if everything went perfect and no delays or problems with parts.
parkerbickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
I saw a write up before on this on another site before (can't remember which and google isn't helping). A guy broke it down part by part and everything you would need and he estimated it would be about $12,000 in parts and another $6,000 in labor if I remember correctly. It was some outrageous number like that, plus he said your car would be un-drivable for probably what would be a couple months even if everything went perfect and no delays or problems with parts.

I've seen that too, you're way better off just buying a new car it isn't worth at all.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You'll also need a different clutch as the flywheel pattern is different. You'll also need a different shifter (assuming standard) for the same reason you'll need a new driveshaft: the 3.7 and 5.0 transmissions sit in different places.

Its never the big things, those are easy to account for, its always the little things you dont think of that will nickle and dime you to death.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

12k? That's seems a little to much though and 6k labor? My friend will do it for 1200 with the tensioners and billet oil pump included...

Old 04-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You'll also need a different clutch as the flywheel pattern is different. You'll also need a different shifter (assuming standard) for the same reason you'll need a new driveshaft: the 3.7 and 5.0 transmissions sit in different places.

Its never the big things, those are easy to account for, its always the little things you dont think of that will nickle and dime you to death.
Quote:
12k? That's seems a little to much though and 6k labor? My friend will do it for 1200 with the tensioners and billet oil pump included...

Yeah, most motor swaps / builds run around that much. It is a ton of work, especially doing the oil pump gears as well... he must be a very good friend if he is going to do all that work for $1200, or even he has no idea what he is getting himself into.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

He is a good friend of mine he replaced my transmission under warranty when it was grinding

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1459987558.732624.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	199341 this is his latest recognition

Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

He is a good friend of mine he replaced my transmission under warranty when it was grinding

Attachment 199341

this is his latest recognition

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang