Wheel Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Wheel Help

So I recently bought a 2011 Race Red V6 (will get pics up soon), and I'm trying to do the car red with black accents everywhere. I'm looking at buying a set of black rims, as when I tried to go cheap and plati dip my stock ones it has seemed to start and peel. I'm looking at sticking with 17" rims so I don't have to buy new tires too as the 17" tires are almost brand new. My main concern is I just spent $70 on new center caps with the Pony logo and would love to keep those on the car, does anyone know of any rims that have the 2.5" center cap I can replace with these?
parkerbickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Take the wheels off the car and respray them good... Like 5 layers... Cause the plasti dipped rims on my 06 lasted 5+ years and I am having no problems as well on my 2014 wheels... You just have to make sure to put enough layers down
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
So I recently bought a 2011 Race Red V6 (will get pics up soon), and I'm trying to do the car red with black accents everywhere. I'm looking at buying a set of black rims, as when I tried to go cheap and plati dip my stock ones it has seemed to start and peel. I'm looking at sticking with 17" rims so I don't have to buy new tires too as the 17" tires are almost brand new. My main concern is I just spent $70 on new center caps with the Pony logo and would love to keep those on the car, does anyone know of any rims that have the 2.5" center cap I can replace with these?
Well, rims from AM typically don't work with the the Ford OEM center caps. So you would most likely need to get something OEM. Which as far as 17s, doesn't give you much flexibility.

And places like AM do not carry a ton of different 17" rims. I think they have the 10th anniversary rims, Bullits, and Racestars in 17". But I think that is about all.

:/

The real options start around 18" and up.

Other wheel stores might have more options though. I was just giving the 1 example.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymccrary3 View Post
Take the wheels off the car and respray them good... Like 5 layers... Cause the plasti dipped rims on my 06 lasted 5+ years and I am having no problems as well on my 2014 wheels... You just have to make sure to put enough layers down
I still have 1 1/2 cans left of plasti dip so I might do that. It's really only 2 rims, my passenger side rims look great with no peeling but the driver side rims started to peel today and I sprayed them Saturday.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I still have 1 1/2 cans left of plasti dip so I might do that. It's really only 2 rims, my passenger side rims look great with no peeling but the driver side rims started to peel today and I sprayed them Saturday.
I'd say go with plastidip to see how it looks, if after a while you like it and have no plans on changing it, get them powder coated.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
I'd say go with plastidip to see how it looks, if after a while you like it and have no plans on changing it, get them powder coated.
So far I love how they look and even like the style the stock rims are. I think the main problem I had when dipping it was there was some moisture still on the rim and cause bubbles. This just worries me on if I wash the car will it cause the dip to come off even if I redo the wheel. How much does powder coating usually run and are most body shops able to do it?
Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
So far I love how they look and even like the style the stock rims are. I think the main problem I had when dipping it was there was some moisture still on the rim and cause bubbles. This just worries me on if I wash the car will it cause the dip to come off even if I redo the wheel. How much does powder coating usually run and are most body shops able to do it?
All depends. I knew the guy who did mine and he only charged me $80 per wheel for satin black. As long as you don't want any crazy colors I'd say around $100 per wheel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang