Finally happened - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Finally happened

After a few months of searching the internet and various dealerships I found the perfect car for me to trade my 2010 V6 in for...
I am happy to announce that I am now the owner of a 2014 Deep Impact Blue 3.7
nwewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! That would have been another one of my top picks when I was shopping for my Mustang. Did it come with any packages or anything?
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No packages... But it does have everything I wanted plus a little. It is a manual with the sync system, but also has a few other goodies like the backup sensors and fog lights. Which is always a plus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwewing View Post
No packages... But it does have everything I wanted plus a little. It is a manual with the sync system, but also has a few other goodies like the backup sensors and fog lights. Which is always a plus!
Honestly, that is all you need if you plan on doing stuff with the car. I had the performance package on mine and already got rid of the 3.31s and the wheels it had. So it was almost pointless.

MS Sync, Fogs, and power driver seat and you are good to go. The sky is the limit from here.

Update - Your car has the FP6 appearance package or w/e it is called. Which gives 18" Black wheels, spoiler, and window louvers.

So it looks like you do have that package and the Tech package which houses the Sync, fog lights, etc. As well as backup sensors.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Honestly, that is all you need if you plan on doing stuff with the car. I had the performance package on mine and already got rid of the 3.31s and the wheels it had. So it was almost pointless.

MS Sync, Fogs, and power driver seat and you are good to go. The sky is the limit from here.

Update - Your car has the FP6 appearance package or w/e it is called. Which gives 18" Black wheels, spoiler, and window louvers.

So it looks like you do have that package and the Tech package which houses the Sync, fog lights, etc. As well as backup sensors.
Alright awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the package. I wasn't sure on all the ones ford made with this car.

But yes I do plan on doing a lot to the car and wasn't looking for much else. I would have liked to already have the upgraded gears with the PP but that can always be added later down the road.

I will say this going from the 2010 4.0 to the 3.7 is night and day. The car drives so much better and the 100 HP difference is felt everywhere. Very happy with my purchase
Old 04-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Alright awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the package. I wasn't sure on all the ones ford made with this car.

But yes I do plan on doing a lot to the car and wasn't looking for much else. I would have liked to already have the upgraded gears with the PP but that can always be added later down the road.

I will say this going from the 2010 4.0 to the 3.7 is night and day. The car drives so much better and the 100 HP difference is felt everywhere. Very happy with my purchase

I can definitely agree. I upgraded from an 08 4.0 to the cyclone. The old 4.0's lack of power made the car feel like a boat. It just wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The Performance Package would have given 3.31 gears. However, most people with Manuals go for 3.55s anyway. Plus it will be better for you going from 2.73 gears to 3.55 because you will actually feel the difference.

I went from 3.31s to 3.73s on my auto and the difference wasn't as much as I thought it would be. On an Auto, 4.10s probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can definitely agree. I upgraded from an 08 V6 to the cyclone. The old 4.0's lack of power made the car feel like a boat. It just wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The Performance Package would have given 3.31 gears. However, most people with Manuals go for 3.55s anyway. Plus it will be better for you going from 2.73 gears to 3.55 because you will actually feel the difference.

I went from 3.31s to 3.73s on my auto and the difference wasn't as much as I thought it would be. On an Auto, 4.10s probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
How are the 3.73s? Those would be the gears I think I would most likely go with as of right now. 4.10s seem a little extreme to me, but I do know that is a lot more common with the autos from what I have read.

The 4.0 was a good starter mustang for me however. I learned quite a bit from just doing basic stuff to it and just enjoyed messing around, but like you said they just don't have it in them to get around like the new 3.7.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

3.73 is the moderate gearing for Autos with 4.10s being the extreme/drag strip gearing.

For manuals, remember - you are doing the shifting. So mod as comfortable you are when it comes to how often you want to shift to a different gear. 3.55s seem to be the norm/comfort zone for the manuals. I knew a guy that bought a pre-owned 3.7 w/ 4.10s and manual transmission. He said it was a nightmare as far as daily driving and paid to get it brought down to 3.73s.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Are you going to eventually boost it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
snoots225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
After a few months of searching the internet and various dealerships I found the perfect car for me to trade my 2010 V6 in for...
Welcome to the 14 DIB club!!! It's one helluva nice looking Pony
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3.73 is the moderate gearing for Autos with 4.10s being the extreme/drag strip gearing.

For manuals, remember - you are doing the shifting. So mod as comfortable you are when it comes to how often you want to shift to a different gear. 3.55s seem to be the norm/comfort zone for the manuals. I knew a guy that bought a pre-owned 3.7 w/ 4.10s and manual transmission. He said it was a nightmare as far as daily driving and paid to get it brought down to 3.73s.
I'd say that 3.31s are "moderate", unless the definition has changed. lol

3.73 is aggressive and 4.10s are overkill IMO. I would like 3.73s some day.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Yea maybe 3.55s would be moderate. 3.31s on the Auto are a joke imo.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea maybe 3.55s would be moderate. 3.31s on the Auto are a joke imo.

"Moderate" to me means "nothing too much"... So I would def classify 3.31 as moderate. I wouldn't want more than 3.73s for sure.

I'd argue more that the auto tranny in general is a joke for being in a sports car. It's the least responsive auto I have ever owned and very frustrating at times.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Wonder how long ford plans to stick with these transmissions...

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
"Moderate" to me means "nothing too much"... So I would def classify 3.31 as moderate. I wouldn't want more than 3.73s for sure.

I'd argue more that the auto tranny in general is a joke for being in a sports car. It's the least responsive auto I have ever owned and very frustrating at times.
I loved my auto in my 88 5oh tbird, it was very tight and completely stock.
The auto 3.7 I took out a few times was enough for make me choose my very first stick lol.
I have to completely agree with you, not sure what the hell Ford was/is thinking. It's fine for just normal driving but yuck when driven hard.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wonder how long ford plans to stick with these transmissions...

Is it the same one as the new sixers have?

There are times where I floor it and it takes a good couple seconds before it figures out which gear it wants. Freaking annoying.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Congratulations on your purchase. And as a V6 automatic owner, I have no problem with the transmission in my 14. Shifts very smoothly running it up😀

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Congrats! I absolutely love that color, great choice!

Sent from the future.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I loved my auto in my 88 5oh tbird, it was very tight and completely stock.
The auto 3.7 I took out a few times was enough for make me choose my very first stick lol.
I have to completely agree with you, not sure what the hell Ford was/is thinking. It's fine for just normal driving but yuck when driven hard.

Sent from the future.
EXACTLY. And how many people buy a stang to drive conservative. Big fail on that one bu Ford, but I guess that's what I get for not buying a stick.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it the same one as the new sixers have?

There are times where I floor it and it takes a good couple seconds before it figures out which gear it wants. Freaking annoying.
Yep, it felt clumsy or drunk lol.
And yep same on the new ones.

Sent from the future.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, it felt clumsy or drunk lol.

Sent from the future.
Yes, and thanks to the brutal adaptive learning you never know what to expect. Some days it responds quick and tight and the next day it's confused and cant figure out the gear it wants.

The sas part is that I read these trannys can handle up to 8 pounds of boost with no worries, so I just dont get why Ford dumbed them down so much with their tune and crappy adaptive learning.

If I was the CEO Id say give the auto owners two choices... "Normal" mode and "aggressive"... Then rip out the normal button, cuz nobody wants to drive a Mustang that way.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

What tranny does the auto GTs use?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
EXACTLY. And how many people buy a stang to drive conservative. Big fail on that one bu Ford, but I guess that's what I get for not buying a stick.
Dude you should have seen me trying to leave the dealer, took about 8 minutes and about 15 stalls lol.
Just imagine the manager and sales people seeing you off with your new car and this bozo can't even get it out of the dealers parking lot!
At the time I remember my 6 year old in the back seat saying "Daddy I think your car is broken" and we all just started laughing. Lol.
Ahh good times.

Sent from the future.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, and thanks to the brutal adaptive learning you never know what to expect. Some days it responds quick and tight and the next day it's confused and cant figure out the gear it wants.

The sas part is that I read these trannys can handle up to 8 pounds of boost with no worries, so I just dont get why Ford dumbed them down so much with their tune and crappy adaptive learning.

If I was the CEO Id say give the auto owners two choices... "Normal" mode and "aggressive"... Then rip out the normal button, cuz nobody wants to drive a Mustang that way.
They're apparently very strong and reliable for the most part, it was just frustrating as hell when I ran it hard, which I like to do more often than not.
Completely different from the Fords I've driven in the past.

Sent from the future.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude you should have seen me trying to leave the dealer, took about 8 minutes and about 15 stalls lol.
Just imagine the manager and sales people seeing you off with your new car and this bozo can't even get it out of the dealers parking lot!
At the time I remember my 6 year old in the back seat saying "Daddy I think your car is broken" and we all just started laughing. Lol.
Ahh good times.

Sent from the future.
That's awesome! Lol I drove a stick for a good 15 years... If I didnt get the deal of the century on my Stang I would have held out for a manual.

I will figure out how to rip out that adaptive learning someday. There must be a way to kill it without the fuse!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They're apparently very strong and reliable for the most part, it was just frustrating as hell when I ran it hard, which I like to do more often than not.
Completely different from the Fords I've driven in the past.

Sent from the future.
Yup, it doubles down way too much. If yhe driver punches it going under 40 mph, just drop it in 2nd... Feels like I have a commodore 64 running the show under my car.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
One thing about your car. The number of V6 models with the FP6 package *and* manual is literally something like 1 in 1000. Don't modify it cosmetically if you can help it.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
One thing about your car. The number of V6 models with the FP6 package *and* manual is literally something like 1 in 1000. Don't modify it cosmetically if you can help it.
Except for vinyl right? White, metallic silver, gun metal or matte black all look damn good on the DIBs.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The drivetrain, suspension, and so on are all fine to lightly mod for better performance. Leave the package bits alone if you can. Given most owner's desire to franken-ize their Mustangs over the years, clean examples of special package cars are extremely rare after 15-20 years.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Great find. Now go to one of these Ford websites where you can enter your VIN & see how it left the factory (& the day it was built). window sticker.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Hey you can do that?!
Anyone have any links?

Sent from the future.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

As far as mods go I'm not sure about how much I'll really be able to do as opposed to what I really want. I'm still a college student so at times money can be tight..

JOberlander is that really true about the FP6 package? I would have thought that there would be a lot more of these in manuals. If so then that makes me feel like I got a even better deal than before.

2014 DIB V6 manual. FP6 Tech package.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang