Installed a GT grille today! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Installed a GT grille today!

so thanks to oxford5pointoh, i'm the owner of a GT style grille without foglights! since my car didn't come stock wtih them at the bottom, i didn't feel like doing a wiring harness or anything, so i just decided i was going to fill the holes with some mesh.

i went to home depot while i anxiously awaited the grille (fedex took 7 days to get it to NJ from CA!) and i bought myself a gutter guard for 2 bucks. it's metal, and it's got a nice mesh look to it. bought myself some black zipties as well.

went home, remembered hey, i have a huge can of plastidip left over from when i tried to plastidip my chrome surround on my grille (and failed mind you..) so why not try it? so for days i just coated the hell out of my gutter guard to make it a nice matte black color.

then when i got the grille today, i fit the mesh up, and i drilled 4 holes: two on the top of the foglight opening, and one on the left/right. can't get it on the bottom because of the weird slope the housing has, but once drilled and with the zipties in, that piece isn't moving at all!

here was the finished product:

so here's before shots of the front end all boring and sedan-looking with that chrome:

so when i yanked my grille out, i didn't want to take the bumper off...so i used some rope and yanked. unfortunately w hen i did that, only the top came off and bottom didn't....so i put the top back in and tried again, yanked hard, and it all came out...which is great, but then i realized all of the clips on the bottom broke off lol WHOOPS. so basically my old chrome surround is useless, but whatever, no biggie. saving the grille though for the pony and incase i ever need the grille itself.
pulled out:

now in hindsight, i probably should have painted those random bolts black, but honestly i didn't even think about it until i saw them in the pics lol..i don't care much anyway, but in the pics it looks kinda funny.

but here she is, finished product, lookin mean!!!

love how it looks! only thing i noticed was the new grille is easier to pull the top clips out than the old grille..oxford mentioned maybe it's because i yanked the grille out rather than pulling the bumper off, so those holes may be a bit stretched.

either way, it didn't help that it was like 40 degrees today when i pulled mine out, which that probably didn't help those clips that broke lol.

the grille looks great and i'm pumped to do my summer photoshoot with it! here's the full imgur album if you wanna see everything full resolution!
http://imgur.com/a/Kkww1
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Looks way better dude! Glad you were able to put my old grille/ wall art to good use!
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Looks way better dude! Glad you were able to put my old grille/ wall art to good use!
you're the man! thanks for the good deal
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I am debating this grille or a cdc one. I have my stock grille hanging on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I am debating this grille or a cdc one. I have my stock grille hanging on the wall.

cdc is nice too, but i honestly like the pony logo up front there. thats why i kept it chrome too; i like that tiny accent to stick out, but i HATED the chrome trim. looks so cheap on a car that should look mean, not like a sedan lol
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I hear ya! That chrome ring is hideous. Makes the Mustang look like it's aiming for a luxury look even though it's not a luxury car.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Dude that is stellar!!!!! Bravo!!!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That Grille look waayyyyyy better!! Good job!
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looks great! Much better than the stock grille.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
love it, and the mesh makes it look mean. Good job!
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys! I'm loving the looks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

here's some new daytime shots i took after work!

damn this grille looks sexy, and my cars dirty as hell! love it.

as usual, for full res pics, goto the album:
GT Grille Install - Album on Imgur
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Looks great! Good job man!

Question please...

Could you have used the stock V6 chrome bezel that surrounds the stock V6 grill? Could your stock V6 chrome surround piece that came on the stock V6 grill be used on the GT grill instead of the black surround piece that came on the GT grill??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
so thanks to oxford5pointoh, i'm the owner of a GT style grille without foglights! since my car didn't come stock wtih them at the bottom, i didn't feel like doing a wiring harness or anything, so i just decided i was going to fill the holes with some mesh.

i went to home depot while i anxiously awaited the grille (fedex took 7 days to get it to NJ from CA!) and i bought myself a gutter guard for 2 bucks. it's metal, and it's got a nice mesh look to it. bought myself some black zipties as well.

went home, remembered hey, i have a huge can of plastidip left over from when i tried to plastidip my chrome surround on my grille (and failed mind you..) so why not try it? so for days i just coated the hell out of my gutter guard to make it a nice matte black color.

then when i got the grille today, i fit the mesh up, and i drilled 4 holes: two on the top of the foglight opening, and one on the left/right. can't get it on the bottom because of the weird slope the housing has, but once drilled and with the zipties in, that piece isn't moving at all!

here was the finished product:

so here's before shots of the front end all boring and sedan-looking with that chrome:

so when i yanked my grille out, i didn't want to take the bumper off...so i used some rope and yanked. unfortunately w hen i did that, only the top came off and bottom didn't....so i put the top back in and tried again, yanked hard, and it all came out...which is great, but then i realized all of the clips on the bottom broke off lol WHOOPS. so basically my old chrome surround is useless, but whatever, no biggie. saving the grille though for the pony and incase i ever need the grille itself.
pulled out:

now in hindsight, i probably should have painted those random bolts black, but honestly i didn't even think about it until i saw them in the pics lol..i don't care much anyway, but in the pics it looks kinda funny.

but here she is, finished product, lookin mean!!!

love how it looks! only thing i noticed was the new grille is easier to pull the top clips out than the old grille..oxford mentioned maybe it's because i yanked the grille out rather than pulling the bumper off, so those holes may be a bit stretched.

either way, it didn't help that it was like 40 degrees today when i pulled mine out, which that probably didn't help those clips that broke lol.

the grille looks great and i'm pumped to do my summer photoshoot with it! here's the full imgur album if you wanna see everything full resolution!
GT Grille Install - Album on Imgur
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

honestly not sure if the chrome can be used. I didn't try. it shouldn't be any different though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Looks great!

MustangmanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang