Looking to purchase 2012+ Mustang V6, help me out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Looking to purchase 2012+ Mustang V6, help me out

I'm looking to purchase a 2012+ Mustang v6. Looking for something sporty that has good mpg. I travel a lot of highway miles. I was looking at Civic SIs, GLIs, etc. Seems like the Mustang v6 may give a little more pep and still gets good mpg. What are some things I should know about buying 2012+ Mustang v6? Any particular year I should avoid?
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
The good part is if you get 2012 and up, you are good. Now some things you want to ask yourself when shopping is, Will you be modding it later down the line? As in, heavy modding (Exhaust, differential gears, wheels, cosmetics, etc). If so, I would try to opt out of getting any appearance packages or the performance package.

1 Thing that is nice to have is the Tech Package at a minimum. Because hands free calling is actually a legal thing in some cities. Plus it gives you fog lights and a power driver seat. Which is convenient and nice.

The reason I say opt out of the Performance Package is - it mainly gives you wheels and 3.31 differential gears. But if you plan on changing these later to say different wheels and 3.55/3.73 gears, then you just added $2,000 to your finance which you did not need. Plus interest accrues on that. Now that package does give a few other things but they are minor and mainly fluff.

The Pony Package is really not needed. Because the same thing applies for the wheels and such.

The Mustang Club of America one is one that is sorta tempting. Because it does hold special value as a Mustang owner and for the community (or used to...).

The FP6 package is OK but sorta the same thing as the Pony Package - you might change the wheels and such out later.

Now one of the last things is Base over Premium. All a premium model will give you is more fancy stuff on the interior side. Like Leather Seats, Premium Cluster, Shaker 500 sound system, Ambient lighting, etc.

The Premium package is about the only other one I would consider along with the Tech Package if you will be modding. Because I did a full Base to Premium conversion myself and it was a headache. So if you REALLY want these features, I suggest you get them on the car already. Not saying it is impossible to add them, which it definitely is not. But it takes a good amount of searching and researching to find and install everything correctly.

As far as Auto Vs. Manual as well as car color. These are personal preferences which will only appeal to you.

Please, please, please do not get a car that is already heavily modded. Because you will not know how well of a job the previous person did with installing stuff and what they may have messed up when they did install everything. Try to find yourself an unmolested 3.7.

Because the fun of owning a Mustang, is modding it yourself!

Please test drive each car you are interested in a few times. Test it on bumps, turns, hard stops, acceleration, etc. Look under the hood and inspect it. Check the tire treads. Ask for a carfax report.

Never decide on a car the same day! Give yourself a few days to a week to ponder it. Because we all make rash decisions when we are "in the moment". As you might find something better as soon as you leave the dealership. Also, the more you resist (if they know you wanna buy), the better deal you can get on a car. (In most cases)

Heck, I resisted till I was ready to get up and walk out. The dealer ended up giving me the car with no money down and paid the first 2 payments on my 2014. So I had plenty of money to mod in the upcoming months. On top of them knocking $3,000 off the car's value.

When I arrived at the dealership the day I got my 2014. The first thing the sales guy said to me was "Thanks for stopping by. To be honest, I have had a really bad month with sales. I really hope we can interest you in a car."

After hearing that, I knew I could get a good deal on my car.

Hope this helps!
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The body style and engine you are looking for is actually 2011-2014. Or a 2015/16 if you are looking at new.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Great info. Thanks.

I'm just looking at the base. Not sure if I will ever mod. This will be more of a commuter. I would like the gigs though. Are they tough to install?

What is the overall reliability of the drivetrain and car? Any known issues?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
Great info. Thanks.

I'm just looking at the base. Not sure if I will ever mod. This will be more of a commuter. I would like the gigs though. Are they tough to install?

If you take care of your car and keep up with maintenance, you will usually not run into any crazy issues. The 1 thing I can think of off the top of my head, is the Coolant/water pump. Ask your dealer if the coolant has been serviced recently and if the check valve was installed. Otherwise, you will get a nasty leak.

The other thing was an Airbag recall for the driver side. May wanna ask about that also.

As far as difficulty to install stuff, I cannot answer this specifically. It would be best to check youtube for how-to videos. We also have a few good topics on this forum. May require a little searching but there is good info on the interwebs.

Most products usually come with install instructions also.

The easiest and biggest bang for your buck mod is typically a tune. Which you can get a tuner device w/ tunes from Steeda, American Muscle, or MPT.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I also want to add if you will be doing heavy commuting and highway driving with the car, leave the differential gears alone. Stick with 2.73 or 3.31 (if your car has the performance package). Otherwise your MPGs will suffer the shorter gear you go - 3.73, 4.10, etc.

With all my mods, I get about 19-19.5 AVG combined MPGs. Which is not the greatest. lol
Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Here are a few I found in your area. The 3.7s seem a bit more pricey in your area. But you may be able to negotiate these down. Always look up cars on Blue Book and NADA to see what they are REALLY worth. This might help you leverage a better price. (not always)

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Ford Mustang in Coupe, Mobile AL: 36606 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Ford Mustang in Coupe, Mobile AL: 36606 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2012 Ford Mustang in Coupe, Mobile AL: 36608 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Ford Mustang in Premium, Mobile AL: 36608 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Ford Mustang in Premium, Mobile AL: 36608 Details - Coupe - Autotrader

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Looking at a base model 2014 with 12k miles for 16k. How's that sound?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Were there issues with the 2011s?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of mpgs is everyone getting?
Old 04-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Looking at a base model 2014 with 12k miles for 16k. How's that sound?
Is it online for us to review?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Same Airbag and coolant issue I believe. 2011 is a solid car also. It has the 3.7 engine. It does lack a few features that newer cars have however. Like the ability to change your steering feel. You cannot change it to Sport or anything like you can in the newer models.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are worried about any reliability issues and are a commuter, get a 2012-2014 automatic. First year run of anything is never the best year to get and the autos are much better built than the sticks, just as fast and if you get stuck in traffic you aren't dealing with a clutch every 3 seconds.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

There is also a 2012 v6 manual with 54k for 12k. It's red. Really hate red...feel like I'll get pulled over 75 times per day.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Is there a price range you are trying to stick to?

Old 04-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
No more or less issues than the 12-14. As a rule, I've always avoided the first year run of a new engine, especially when it's a completely new design. If you're really worried though, buy certified used. Adds a little to the price, but it also typically adds a 100K powertrain warranty. I scooped up my 2011 V6 for next to nothing certified used. If anything breaks, not my problem.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Like Mugeismo said see if you can't get certified so it's warrantied. I got my 2011 V6 with 35,000 miles for $13,000 and the dealer threw in a 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. Also if the only reason you're against red is fear of being pulled over in the almost 3 months I've had mine I've never been stopped and my insurance said my rate would be the same no matter what color I got. I've also had a couple cops admire my car and give me compliments

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a 2012+ Mustang v6. Looking for something sporty that has good mpg. I travel a lot of highway miles. I was looking at Civic SIs, GLIs, etc. Seems like the Mustang v6 may give a little more pep and still gets good mpg. What are some things I should know about buying 2012+ Mustang v6? Any particular year I should avoid?

If your friends drive Civic's and GTI's etc., you 'might' feel like an outcast. Mustangs are in a world of their own. I 'never' call my Mustang a car, its a Mustang. Just something to think about
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #19

Region: California
I just bought a V6 2013 Premium

as the title says and I am so happy I did. Love that car - plush feel and very powerful. Looks bad *** in black on black.
Davo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Get a 2014. It will be easier to find low miles and you can get all the bells and whistles, not to mention it is the LAST year that the Mustang looked that good.

Oh, and make sure you get a performance package. The suspension and 3.31 gears alone make it feel like a completely different ride. I test drove a base Stang and it was a bouncy slow pile of crap versus the loaded Pony I ended up with. Seriously night and day.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Like Mugeismo said see if you can't get certified so it's warrantied. I got my 2011 V6 with 35,000 miles for $13,000 and the dealer threw in a 6 year 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty. Also if the only reason you're against red is fear of being pulled over in the almost 3 months I've had mine I've never been stopped and my insurance said my rate would be the same no matter what color I got. I've also had a couple cops admire my car and give me compliments

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yeah, I heard the "cop magnet" crap too when I first got mine. I have a shiny bright blue coat with metallic racing stripes and I drive like a ****** 90% of the time and I have yet to get pulled over.

In fact, When I had a very minor fender scrape in a parking lot the cops spent most of the time admiring my Stang and seeing how much I would sell it for. lol
Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
It is really good to see so much support for fellow member here.. Glad to be a part of such forum....
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Great info. Thanks.

If your on this website , you will mod. The reliability of the cars are great. Since your looking at used, go with the 2012 5.0. Forget the 3.7, its not the muscle car.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If your on this website , you will mod. The reliability of the cars are great. Since your looking at used, go with the 2012 5.0. Forget the 3.7, its not the muscle car.

Just a near stock 3.7
Ouch
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Just a near stock 3.7
The truth hurts!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
The truth hurts!
Everyone knows a real mustang has a V8 in it. We may be cylinder racist but the truth is the truth. 😜😉

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Everyone knows a real mustang has a V8 in it. We may be cylinder racist but the truth is the truth. 😜😉

Just a near stock 3.7
Oh I know. I wish they all came with a V8!!!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh I know. I wish they all came with a V8!!!
They should only come with the V8 engine.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
They should only come with the V8 engine.

Just a near stock 3.7
It's all good though. With my tune and gears I am roastin V8s all day

Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
mine is only the V6 but at least it is the fastest color...Race Red ftw!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's all good though. With my tune and gears I am roastin V8s all day

No way man. No way. I say liar liar oil filter on fire. Nothing roasts V8's. I can roast them but with my antenna delete it really pulls like a beast.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
mine is only the V6 but at least it is the fastest color...Race Red ftw!
That's different. Everyone knows red cars are faster anyway.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
That's different. Everyone knows red cars are faster anyway.

Just a near stock 3.7
This is very true. If your car is Race Red, the 5.0 can't even leave the starting line on the 1/4 mile till you are halfway down.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is very true. If your car is Race Red, the 5.0 can't even leave the starting line on the 1/4 mile till you are halfway down.
But you look way cooler driving the V8. V8 or go home

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to mention in my 2012 V6 MT with 3.31 gears I get 22-24 mixed hwy 70-80 and semi-rural. It is a bit of a dissapointment but fun per gallon is huge. If you go MT you really want 3.31 gears for the fun factor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 mustang