I need some Opinions, Please and Thanks! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation I need some Opinions, Please and Thanks!

I'm sure a lot of you are tired of seeing threads started by me. Believe me - I am too! Especially since most of my threads end up leading to no where. Haha. I apologize for that!

Ok I got to know this dude here in Houston, whom is a part time mechanic (his brother owns the mechanic shop he works at) and a full time student.

He owns a 2012 5.0, hes doing a custom Twin Turbo install with a wet Nitrous kit.

He made an ad on Craigs asking if anyone with a 2011-2014 Mustang and the 2.73's rear end to do a straight swap for his rear end with 3.31's.

Both of our cars are under 30k miles so to me the parts should be in about the same shape but I have no clue exactly without physically seeing the parts myself. Even if I did I wouldnt even know what to check for.

Now I have a few concerns, he did state that he has done this type of swap before with his brother but not with these generations (2011-2014) of Mustangs but prior generations. He has done quite of few things with his 5.0 besides doing the custom TT install and nitrous. Suspension parts, etc.

Oh and also...he does NOT want to do this swap for free he wants $150 to do the labor. I wouldnt do anything but sit back and watch.

He advised that he would complete the swap on my car first so that I could test everything out before parting ways with each other.

What does everyone think? $150 for a rear end swap seems like an amazing deal to me but I cant get past the whole, Under the table type of job. So no warranty, receipts, etc.

I may have just answered my own question but I wanted to read everyone else's opinion.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

That's the thing with these types of jobs, these "side" items will usually cost a lot less, but are always an "at your own risk" sort of thing. I would personally stick with getting gears done professionally. Especially with gears, warranty goes a VERY long way.

Unless someone else has a different thought, I would say no.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Kev....I mean ZombieSlayer!

I feel the same way man but I just cant put myself up for a $1000+ bill. For me I would rather save that $1000 towards a down payment on a C5 or 5.0.

I dont know haha. As usual.

Still would like to hear more people though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I mean......for $150, it really isn't that bad. But PLEASE PLEASE test drive it first and check everything. High acceleration, slowing down, etc. Make sure the rear isn't clunking. I would really watch what he does during the work.

Probably take his car for a test drive also before the work just to make sure the back end is not making any funny noise.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Now see that was my initial response to the guy.

"Could I drive your car so that I can see/feel what your rear end is like" and.....of course his car was in the garage fully dismantled from front to back....so needless to say it was not operational at all for me to test drive but he "assured" me everything is fine with his car that he just needs the longer gears for the power hes going to be putting down.

I dont know if I dont do this, no biggie just means I am stopping there with modding my car. Just to expensive to get my base V6 to the level that I want it at.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

If you are not happy, will he put back your original rear axle?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I did not ask him with those exact words but thats why I mentioned he would complete my rear end first so that I could test everything out.

Now I just assuming that means if I dont like the outcome of the swap that he would reverse the deal but I am not too sure on that. I will ask him exactly that so that I can get a better understanding of what he means by me "testing" everything first.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
Well I did not ask him with those exact words but thats why I mentioned he would complete my rear end first so that I could test everything out.

Now I just assuming that means if I dont like the outcome of the swap that he would reverse the deal but I am not too sure on that. I will ask him exactly that so that I can get a better understanding of what he means by me "testing" everything first.
Ok. If not, then definitely NO. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for opinion Kevin it does help!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
My opinion is this for what it is worth,
Go to American Muscle:
2010-2014 Mustang Gears | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping

Get the gears you want (BRAND NEW)
Find an experienced shop that does a lot of gear changes to do the swap
Sell your gears to him to defray the cost.

A lot of shops just can't swap gears correctly and you end up with a clunk, whiny noisy rear gear set. Then they try to say it is because of the low ratio and can't be silenced. (BULL CRAP)
I have run a 4.57 9 inch rear in my 65 Hi-Pro Mustang with "NO" noise at all.
If it makes noise - It ain't in right.
Plus, I would never ever put in used gears.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My opinion is this for what it is worth,
Go to American Muscle:
2010-2014 Mustang Gears | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping

Get the gears you want (BRAND NEW)
Find an experienced shop that does a lot of gear changes to do the swap
Sell your gears to him to defray the cost.

A lot of shops just can't swap gears correctly and you end up with a clunk, whiny noisy rear gear set. Then they try to say it is because of the low ratio and can't be silenced. (BULL CRAP)
I have run a 4.57 9 inch rear in my 65 Hi-Pro Mustang with "NO" noise at all.
If it makes noise - It ain't in right.
Plus, I would never ever put in used gears.
Ronnie
Ronnie! What's been happening for you?! Don't see you around much anymore.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Keven,
I've been on here being my normal PITA self,
Are you going up to the American Muscle show in August?
It is gonna be bigger then last years 3,500 to 4,000 Mustangs.
Registration is already open.
If ya can't get off work, I can call ya in sick. Ha! Ha!
Ronnie
Old 04-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Hi Keven,
I've been on here being my normal PITA self,
Are you going up to the American Muscle show in August?
It is gonna be bigger then last years 3,500 to 4,000 Mustangs.
Registration is already open.
If ya can't get off work, I can call ya in sick. Ha! Ha!
Ronnie
I wish man! Not sure if I can go. The thing that hits me each time, is my wife's bday falls in May, then her moms, then their family usually plans a trip and wants everyone to go, etc. That's why I got my mod splurge out last month. Then I have a medical procedure in July for $1,000. :/

I was going to try and squeek in some ported manifolds this month, but funds are rapidly becoming tight and I may have to call it off. Time will tell.

For a trip to Florida, me and my wife spent 1200. I expect the same or a tad more for the AM trip as we will have to stop midway at a hotel. So we will see if 1500 or so can be saved by then.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I hope your Medical procedure turns out OK,
It will take you three or four motel nights from Texas, 1-up/ 1-there & 1 back
From where I live I stop overnight on the way up and again on the way back, I stay at the event two nights Friday and Saturday after the show. With my medical problems I can't really drive safely to far after being at the show all day.
I have a "BEST WESTERN" M/C card that I use for everything I buy including paying my bills and get enough points to almost pay for my Best Western Motels.
If it was not for that ,I could not afford to go.
I'm just praying that my cancer is still in remission and can hit the road in August. I go in for a check up May 5th. to see about that.
Ronnie
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
It will take you three or four motel nights from Texas,
From where I live I stop overnight on the way up and again on the way back, I stay at the event two nights Friday and Saturday after the show. With my medical problems I can't really drive safely to far after being at the show all day.
I have a "BEST WESTERN" M/C card that I use for everything I buy including paying my bills and get enough points to almost pay for my Best Western Motels.
I'm just praying that my cancer is still in remission and can hit the road in August. I go in for a check up May 5th. to see about that.
Ronnie

Best of luck Ronnie and I hope everything turns out ok. I am sure Mario will be more than supportive for you.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I really don't think I would want to go without him, He is one good Corgi and he does force me to stop at a lot of rest areas to walk around.
He forces me to pace myself and not get overly exhausted and ruin my day.
Ronnie
Old 04-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So the answer is NO from you two.

Oh well Mila will stay the way she sits then.

Thanks Guys,
Sam

Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
So the answer is NO from you two.

Oh well Mila will stay the way she sits then.

Thanks Guys,
Sam
Well I say if you can easily afford the cost of the new gears/bearings with full warranty, go for it. Especially if you would prefer a different gear ratio, if you had to choose.
But otherwise, if you would prefer the 3.31, try to get him to guaranty that his rear end will not have any noise when install in your car. That should be a reasonable request since you were not able to test drive his car.
Worse comes to worse, $150 is not a bad gamble.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I doubt you will have any recourse if the gear swap does not go as planned. If a month down the road you have problems you may end up buying a new set of gears and paying to have them installed. If you are willing to take this risk go for it; I would not.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
If those gears are stock in his car, and it has around 30k I don't see how you can lose. Differentials are not easily broken, and if the gears are stock I doubt they make noise. I don't see why you wouldn't do this, but if you have to sit around and ask that's about the only reason.

If I was that guy with the add and you were coming at me with all this uncertainty id tell you NM and find the next guy.

You don't need a warranty on this kind of thing man. Just make sure they are torquing all the bolts correctly. It's like 190 foot lbs (don't quote me). But the swap itself is so easy a caveman could do it.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for all the comments guys, I really do appreciate it.

But I guess (Just like oxford5pointoh pointed out) since I asked him about guaranteeing the work and if something were to go wrong would he reverse the deal....I got the cold shoulder.

Oh well I just was trying to make myself feel better about this deal but mainly cause of the wife and her concerns I started asking all those questions.

To me they are good questions but I guess the dude did not want to bothered by it.

I was trying to help him out and vice versa with this swap. All is good I guess this thread can be closed now!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Probably busted something and trying to dump it on someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Probably busted something and trying to dump it on someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I highly doubt it. He was looking to do the swap and not have to constantly reassure someone it is fine is my guess. Not everyone is out to eff someone over guys. I'm sure he just moved on to the next guy who was good with the "risk" and realized the deal he was getting.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
It will take you three or four motel nights from Texas, 1-up/ 1-there & 1 back
Ronnie
Good luck Ronnie, even though we don't see eye to eye on some things I hope you get the a okay from the doc's and can make it to the AM show!
Nothing more important the good health!

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thank you FastFord,
If everybody totally agreed on things, This Forum would sure be boring.
Are you going to come to the American Muscle Show in August?
If you do I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
Ronnie
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Thank you FastFord,
If everybody totally agreed on things, This Forum would sure be boring.
Are you going to come to the American Muscle Show in August?
If you do I'll buy you a cup of coffee.
Ronnie
I'm gonna try really hard this year to get down and meet some of u guys. It looks like a really awesome show and I've never been to just a Mustang show before.
How bout you by that coffee after I buy us a round lol!

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I can't drink alcohol any more because of medication, I'll take a coke.
Make your reservation at the Best Western now, If you can't make it in August, You can always cancel.
You will have a great drive down from Canada,
My drive up from Florida is nice until I hit Richmond Virginia, Then it sucks with the amount of traffic.
Just be sure to register for the show before registration closes or you will have to be in the spectator lot. That is a show on it's own.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang