Borla S Types vs ATAKs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Borla S Types vs ATAKs

As promised, here is a side by side comparison video of the two mufflers on our 3.7s. Details are in the body of the video. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/RS1XPdJNzd0

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Car on the right has a deeper note but they both sound good
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Yea. Not a pure comparison. But this can also show that shorties and such can tame ATAKs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So true, ATAK that I have heard in person did sound louder, my car next to S types sounds deeper and about the same volume in person also.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
those atak's sound tame? hahaha they sound as loud as mine, with stock everything.

wait. so is the s type seriously that much deeper than the ataks?? wtf. every video i've heard they sound IDENTICAL to my ataks which is why i haven't been fully serious into buying them, even though ive always wanted s types....but damn those sound better than my ataks

VIG and i were planning to meet up one day hopefully soon to do a comparison video. full stock, just axlebacks, his stingers vs my ataks.

but damn, if stingers really sound that much deeper, i guess i need to sell my ataks...

who around NJ has some good shape s-types they wanna sell?!?! or trade?!?!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
those atak's sound tame? hahaha they sound as loud as mine, with stock everything.

wait. so is the s type seriously that much deeper than the ataks?? wtf. every video i've heard they sound IDENTICAL to my ataks which is why i haven't been fully serious into buying them, even though ive always wanted s types....but damn those sound better than my ataks

VIG and i were planning to meet up one day hopefully soon to do a comparison video. full stock, just axlebacks, his stingers vs my ataks.

but damn, if stingers really sound that much deeper, i guess i need to sell my ataks...

who around NJ has some good shape s-types they wanna sell?!?! or trade?!?!
Yes they do sound deep. But when racing and WOT, the ATAKs will be a little louder/more noticeable.

I did get a lot of people asking about my "5.0" When I had the S Types and the hood vents. LOL

Old 04-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Yes they do sound deep. But when racing and WOT, the ATAKs will be a little louder/more noticeable.

I did get a lot of people asking about my "5.0" When I had the S Types and the hood vents. LOL
man. i always wanted stingers, but Vig got me a good deal on ataks last february so i jumped on them...but after hearing this it still confirms i want stingers. ugh.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 04-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

also i see on your insta you're swapping out..looking to sell stingers?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
man. i always wanted stingers, but Vig got me a good deal on ataks last february so i jumped on them...but after hearing this it still confirms i want stingers. ugh.
So let's say this, when I floor it to take off on a 65 mph road right next to my apt, my wife can hear me all the way to a 1/4 mile away with the ATAKs. WIth the S Types, she would hear me about 1/8 mile away before the sound died off.

So although they are deeper, you gotta ask yourself if you want slightly more loud but still have a moderate deep tone. OR less louder but a more moderate deep tone.

It is always a juggle. It is hard to get both on these V6s. Doubt the V8 guys struggle as much with this

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
also i see on your insta you're swapping out..looking to sell stingers?
The S Types went on the 2011 I used to have. Which is in that video. My wife's parents now have it. I could probably swap the ATAKs out for them anytime I wanted. But I like the ATAKs for now.

Having both at your disposal is nice.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So let's say this, when I floor it to take off on a 65 mph road right next to my apt, my wife can hear me all the way to a 1/4 mile away with the ATAKs. WIth the S Types, she would hear me about 1/8 mile away before the sound died off.

So although they are deeper, you gotta ask yourself if you want slightly more loud but still have a moderate deep tone. OR less louder but a more moderate deep tone.

It is always a juggle. It is hard to get both on these V6s. Doubt the V8 guys struggle as much with this
my answer: i want stingers lol.

sure, being loud is great, but i also drive a lot more conservatively because i'm afraid of getting pulled over here, and i know the second a cop hears me, they're watching me.

honestly, my ataks are loud as hell, but once i hit around 3k rpm's, they go from deep to like kinda farty sounding IMO. can't tell if the stingers do or not, but vig says his don't at all...i want loudness and deepness down low, and when i shift hard and rev high, i don't really need it to be SUPER loud. as it is, i do think my atak's are pretty obnoxiously loud lol

thats a rolling rev...and in those higher rpms its REALLY loud.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
my answer: i want stingers lol.

sure, being loud is great, but i also drive a lot more conservatively because i'm afraid of getting pulled over here, and i know the second a cop hears me, they're watching me.

honestly, my ataks are loud as hell, but once i hit around 3k rpm's, they go from deep to like kinda farty sounding IMO. can't tell if the stingers do or not, but vig says his don't at all...i want loudness and deepness down low, and when i shift hard and rev high, i don't really need it to be SUPER loud. as it is, i do think my atak's are pretty obnoxiously loud lol

thats a rolling rev...and in those higher rpms its REALLY loud.
Well, as mentioned - other supporting mods for the air entering and exiting the car can tame it out a bit. Which it did in my case. It is not a raspy loud or anything anymore.

Now S Types w/ shorties is indeed music to one's ears. I had the S Types before and after I installed shorties and others as well as myself that were there during the install could notice a mild sound change. So I am sure it would be the same with ATAKs.

New shorty headers are cheaper than new Borlas. Just something to consider.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, as mentioned - other supporting mods for the air entering and exiting the car can tame it out a bit. Which it did in my case. It is not a raspy loud or anything anymore.

Now S Types w/ shorties is indeed music to one's ears. I had the S Types before and after I installed shorties and others as well as myself that were there during the install could notice a mild sound change. So I am sure it would be the same with ATAKs.

New shorty headers are cheaper than new Borlas. Just something to consider.
yeah but i'm not mechanically inclined enough to put them on myself lol so it would cost more after labor and stuff.

idk man, i really like how your old stingers sound in that video. damn.

vig got me ataks for 450 used with 8k miles on em so they were already broken in....wish i could find stingers for that price used too lol
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
yeah but i'm not mechanically inclined enough to put them on myself lol so it would cost more after labor and stuff.

idk man, i really like how your old stingers sound in that video. damn.

vig got me ataks for 450 used with 8k miles on em so they were already broken in....wish i could find stingers for that price used too lol
People with Stingers usually don't let them go. There is a reason they get them. That is why I didn't sell mine. I simply "put them up" for now.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I sold my roush axle backs back in December and I'm ready for some new ones. I'm leaning more and more towards the s types. The roush sounded good every once in a while but when you hit 3k rpm, holy crap it was pure rasp. Anyone on here ever heard the borla touring in person?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I sold my roush axle backs back in December and I'm ready for some new ones. I'm leaning more and more towards the s types. The roush sounded good every once in a while but when you hit 3k rpm, holy crap it was pure rasp. Anyone on here ever heard the borla touring in person?
Why do you ask?

There are a few of us with the 3.7L that have them.
Siber Express has his video on here, in a number of places. He has the BBK shorties, cut and clamp X-pipe, and Touring while I have BBK shorties, cut and clamp Max Pro-chamber and Touring.
Stock cats and resonators.

EDIT: I think to get the true sound of any of these it must be under load.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

ugh, i seriously want stingers now but idk if i can justify spending 700 bucks on them when i've already got atak's.

autoanything.com would give me an 8% off for being a new user, bringing it to 698, no tax, and free shipping. bah
Old 04-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

There's a reason why they cost so much. But it is your call as far as budget and such.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

I will say they will sound ricer before you break them in. After 100-200 miles or so, they will start to pick up their real sound.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

yeah which is funny cuz someone wrote that exact thing on am reviews. said he had ataks and wanted these and was surprised when they sounded more rice than his ataks! I was like oh hell no lol. I got my ataks used with 8k miles so they were broken in which was nice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Yea I think all mufflers have a break-in period. Drive them a lot and drive them hard at first. That will get them sounding good after about 200 miles.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear mine all the time, sound pretty good also
Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ugh, i seriously want stingers now but idk if i can justify spending 700 bucks on them when i've already got atak's.

autoanything.com would give me an 8% off for being a new user, bringing it to 698, no tax, and free shipping. bah
You wanna trade your ataks with my s-type with 200 on top? If you really want them that bad..

Sent from my SM-G935P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
You wanna trade your ataks with my s-type with 200 on top? If you really want them that bad..

lol you givin me that 200??? haha if i want em bad enough, i'll do a direct trade or buy them new and keep the atak's.

then i made this video tonight and idk, i remember that i do kinda like being obnoxiously loud sometimes lol
Old 04-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol you givin me that 200??? haha if i want em bad enough, i'll do a direct trade or buy them new and keep the atak's.

then i made this video tonight and idk, i remember that i do kinda like being obnoxiously loud sometimes lol
No offense is just that you bought your ataks less than me for 400 and I know they're used, I paid full price for mine and had them now for a year just want to get a little of it back.. Which I doubt lol.. Hey if I were you I would just keep the atak's man they sound good..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

haha yeah I probably will end up keeping them. stingers are sweet though. maybe one day if I see a deal for a used broken in set I'll pick em up, but my ataks aren't bad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Those sound really good but I see you have more than just the axle backs which I'm guessing affects the sound. I don't really want to mess with the exhaust anymore than axle backs though.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Why do you ask?

There are a few of us with the 3.7L that have them.
Siber Express has his video on here, in a number of places. He has the BBK shorties, cut and clamp X-pipe, and Touring while I have BBK shorties, cut and clamp Max Pro-chamber and Touring.
Stock cats and resonators.

EDIT: I think to get the true sound of any of these it must be under load.
Yeah, I'd like to hear a video of them under load. I don't think you get a true sound of what they really sound like when your driving with them vs when you rev them.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Those sound really good but I see you have more than just the axle backs which I'm guessing affects the sound. I don't really want to mess with the exhaust anymore than axle backs though.
The Sound I have with the headers and Tourings is closer to the S-types.
The Headers although time consuming to install are actually easy and don't screw with anything else on the rest of the exhaust.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was really wanting to get the s-types, but someone in the area was selling a set of Borla Tourings for $250 so that is what I got. They are obviously not as loud as the s-types or ataks but they can still get pretty loud at WOT. They are just more tame the rest of the time.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlanders View Post
I was really wanting to get the s-types, but someone in the area was selling a set of Borla Tourings for $250 so that is what I got. They are obviously not as loud as the s-types or ataks but they can still get pretty loud at WOT. They are just more tame the rest of the time.
You can always poke holes in the over axle pipes to get that REAL muscle car sound.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
If I ever put an axle back on mine, that's exactly how I'd want it to sound. Just can't bring myself to drop $7-800 on a set of mufflers, love the Borla Touring's, perfect for that adult sound.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If I ever put an axle back on mine, that's exactly how I'd want it to sound. Just can't bring myself to drop $7-800 on a set of mufflers, love the Borla Touring's, perfect for that adult sound.
It was tough trust me to put the money out on a set of mufflers, but I worked long and hard to get it to sound that way, I was hearing youtube videos in my sleep
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I have a bunch of videos of my stypes on YouTube if you guys wanna check it out.. I also had my touring in there before I switched to 's types... My set up is Mac shorty headers, x pipe with cats and the stypes.. It's Pinoy_stang..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Well I ordered my borla s type axle backs from am just now. Hoping they get here by Monday so I can install them before I go back to work next week. Birthday is tomorrow and the wife said to order them so I didn't hesitate. Lol
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Borlas came in today and I'm very pleased with the sound. Huge difference from the roush axle backs I had. These seem about 10 times quieter. Quiet on cruise and sound great when stepping on the gas. Those roush had a horrible drone when cruising.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang