Concerns over 2011+ MT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Concerns over 2011+ MT

Should I be concerned about the MT on the 2011+, specifically 2012 V6 base? Supposed to pick one up tomorrow.
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Just feel how good the clutch is and how smooth it shifts. Also, check how will the car picks up and goes after shifting. To make sure the power is transferring OK through the drivetrain.

Good thing is, transmission fluid is easy to change on these manual transmissions.

You could also get stuff in the future to improve your shifting experience. Like short throw shift, shifter bracket/hanger, and transmission bushing insert. All are fairly easy to install and are relatively cheap vs. some of the other mods.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
Should I be concerned about the MT on the 2011+, specifically 2012 V6 base? Supposed to pick one up tomorrow.
My son got one about 15 months ago, he does have the Barton Short shifter but he's not had any problems out of his transmission.
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
No don't let that deter you. The MT-82 has some problems but it's not that bad. Some simple mods can get it working pretty well like others have said. If you are going to be racing you might want an MGW but should be ok otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a 14 and put in a Barton shifter bracket and have not had any troubles with shifting. I feel like the high rpm "issues" kind of get blown out of proportion. Do some people have issues especially in high HP applications? Yes, but for how the majority of people use the car it will be fine. Just like the 10 bolt rear end in the 4th gen f bodies. Go on a forum and you would think that driving the car down a street would blow the rear end when in reality unless your doing clutch drops at 5 k you'll be fine.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I had nothing but issues out of my 2014 3.7 with the MT82.

I had issues with my car popping out of gear, the clutch pedal sticking to the floor when over 5,500 rpm, cold shift issues to the point that I couldn't get the car in gear for at least 10 - 15 minutes if it sat out overnight in freezing conditions and a few other minor things. Such as slamming on the brakes and pushing in the clutch would cause both to momentarily fail and Ford did not care ... at all.

These issues first appeared within the first 2,000 miles on the car. Dealerships were unable/unwilling to fix issue. I sold the car with around 24,000 miles on it and within a few months of selling it, the new owner had to replace the clutch and transmission and then in January, had to replace the transmission again due to bad synchros.

So in my experience, the MT82 is garbage.

As for the 10 bolt failing in a 4th gen F-body. It is that bad at least in my experience. Given my car makes 588 whp and over 650 rwtq with an initial spike over 700 wtq (nitrous), my Fbody isn't exactly stock. I'm on my 5th or 6th stock rear end, half of them at near stock power levels and all but one of them have failed while I was simply driving down the road with no noises before exploding. Only one of the rear ends I blew up had ever seen a sticky tire and it lasted for less than a single pass at the drag strip, which ended up being a 10.512 @ 130.18 with a 1.491 60'.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
All the reasons given for why the MT82 sucks:

-Chinese transmission
-Limp noodle shift linkage
-Casting burrs on shift linkage
-Wobbly rubber trans mount
-Issues with the hydraulic clutch assembly

Fixes... assist spring delete, full blown solid shifter (MGW race spec), whiteline trans mount insert, don't buy a MT82 equipped car that has ANY issues on the test drive.

Or... buy an auto as the 6R80 is one of the best transmissions Ford ever made. Probably THE best honestly... and now the 10 speed version is releasing.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
All the reasons given for why the MT82 sucks:

-Chinese transmission
-Limp noodle shift linkage
-Casting burrs on shift linkage
-Wobbly rubber trans mount
-Issues with the hydraulic clutch assembly

Fixes... assist spring delete, full blown solid shifter (MGW race spec), whiteline trans mount insert, don't buy a MT82 equipped car that has ANY issues on the test drive.

Or... buy an auto as the 6R80 is one of the best transmissions Ford ever made. Probably THE best honestly... and now the 10 speed version is releasing.
All valid complaints except the First One......It's a FORD Transmission manufactured in China.......under FORD QC.......that does not constitute a PROBLEM!!

Mine is PERFECT after making upgrades to MGW Shifter, SS Clutch Hose and BG Sycro Shift II fluid.....slicker than any Tremec I ever had!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
All valid complaints except the First One......It's a FORD Transmission manufactured in China.......under FORD QC.......that does not constitute a PROBLEM!!

Mine is PERFECT after making upgrades to MGW Shifter, SS Clutch Hose and BG Sycro Shift II fluid.....slicker than any Tremec I ever had!!
Don't underestimate the ability of chinese manufacturing to have a lot more QC issues than normal. Buddy of mine from HS has done inspections of factorys "under supervision" and he said the first thing they did on every visit was open up all the closets to find the child workers.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine has been perfect also, RP along with shifter bracket go a long way.
That being said both transmission have had their share of issues, and if you dont tune the auto along with a good tq converter its a slow slush box.
So is the MT-82 a track ready transmission from the factory without some tinkering, no, but neither is the auto. In fact anyone who has tracked their auto will probably agree, it needs work to make it "great"
Fact is that you can make the MT 82 a damn good transmission with about $200 of changes where the auto needs a $400 tuner plus a tq converter to make it "great"
Op don't worry about the MT-82.
Just realized this is almost a year old thread lol.

LG G4
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Wasn't the 2011 GT the first year with the MT82 gear box??
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

The V6 and the V8 both have the MT82 although the GT is a little more robust.

As far as the auto being track ready... all you need is a tune. Lot of ppl run the stock converter with great results although an aftermarket unit will really really wake it up.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I have 17K on my MT82 and no issues really. When it's cold out, shifting may be a little grouchy but no big deal. I would like to upgrade to a short throw shifter with the better bushing.

How often do you guys change your manual trans fluid? what is a good lube to use other than factory? I think RedLine and RoyalPurple have good stuff.... no?
CycloneS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I replaced my Oem dual clutch fluid to RP four years ago, haven't changed it since.
Red line, Amsoil are also great choices.

LG G4
Old 03-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
2013 black MT. Just crossed over 20k miles. I've owned it about 6 months now.

MT is a bit clunky at times. Wanting to put in a Barton to help with gear lockouts. Nothing like Running first up to 6k and then second being locked out. Heart skips a beat while trying to correct the backend and dealing with Trans lockout haha.

Only issue I have with mine is the infamous 17 MPG I get on average *Scolds foot*
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

The bracket was night and day, lock out was happening far to often at 6-7k shifts with the stock piece of ****.

LG G4
Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
The bracket was night and day, lock out was happening far to often at 6-7k shifts with the stock piece of ****.

LG G4
Did you look at the stock one? Who decided to put that piece of c**p in there? When I seen the ziptie holding it together the first time I was like "what a **** repair!" And was blown away to see that's factory O.o
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I know. Its really pathedic and should be the first thing that gets replaced along with the fluid a close second.

LG G4
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Wasn't the 2011 GT the first year with the MT82 gear box??

Yes. That's when the engine changed from 4.6L to 5.0L and the trans went from 5 speed to 6

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get the transmission mount insert and Blowfish bracket. The car will sound louder due to the extra noise and vibration being transmitted to the shifter, but... it's a muscle car.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Blowfish bracket not needed with the MGW race spec. I'm surprised with the Race Spec out that the Blowfish bracket is still even a thing TBTH...

Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The MGW is a beter kit, but at almost double the price, I'm not sure it's necessarry for a daily driver.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Nothing is necessary besides a 2003 Hyundai Elantra.........it is what you want that matters

plz excuse typos..sxtng n drving
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just a good quality bracket will do the trick. BUT if I was considering doing more I'd also chose the Mgw. Its an upgraded shifter that comes with the bracket and won't be nearly as noisey as a Blowfish.

LG G4
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The MGW is a beter kit, but at almost double the price, I'm not sure it's necessarry for a daily driver.
Its not an issue of being better, its an issue of if you want to rev it out and want to shift it it either works or doesn't. If you want to spend the money to fix the issue the factory SHOULD have then spend it. Or don't. Your choice.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its not an issue of being better, its an issue of if you want to rev it out and want to shift it it either works or doesn't. If you want to spend the money to fix the issue the factory SHOULD have then spend it. Or don't. Your choice.
Since I don't power-shift the car at 4000+ rpm, or race it, the cheaper option is working perfectly fine. Along with the Steeda transmission insert, the Blowfish is working fantastic. It's a good combo for half the money if you're not driving like a hooligan and just using the car in normal traffic.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol at calling shifting at 7K "driving like a hooligan". Why even have a car like this? I mean I get it is $200 cheaper for the blowfish and the steeda insert and if its working then more power to you, but its not a 100% fix for the factory setup because it retains the OEM multi u joint linkage.

Or just get a 6R80 equipped car which is absolutely fantastic in every way and no worrying about the shifter lol.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Since I don't power-shift the car at 4000+ rpm, or race it, the cheaper option is working perfectly fine. Along with the Steeda transmission insert, the Blowfish is working fantastic. It's a good combo for half the money if you're not driving like a hooligan and just using the car in normal traffic.
I must be a hooligan then lol.
If you really don't push your car to to 65-7k then the cheapest option would be using the Oem stuff, as lockout only happens up there anyways. If your having problems shifting at 4k and below there are other issues at play. The stock slop is fine for normal driving just not us hooligans­čśť

LG G4
Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

6-7K shifts will just end me up in someone's trunk here in Los Angeles. There's no reason to go that fast around town unless you are racing it. And then, you're looking at a completely different setup and a lot of money on mods.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, get on the highway and do a nice long pull or drive out where you can enjoy it IMO. Stop and go traffic around town I'd take my truck even when I had a Mustang that wasn't in pieces all over the garage.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
My name is Mud and I'm a Hooligan
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm more of a "nogoodnik"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang