ATL Auto Sports Rotors and Brakes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
ATL Auto Sports Rotors and Brakes

Has anyone ever used ATL Auto Sports drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes? My breaks are squealing and a local guy recommended these. $182 for all four rotors and brakes. Not incl install.
savage_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Never heard of them. I personally will never get drilled and slotted rotors again. But if it is a bargain buy you are looking for - just be careful. The old saying goes "You get what you pay for."

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

Region: Virginia
How come? I know they are usually recommended for racing which I don't do.
savage_beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've read reviews that claim drilled and slotted rotors has no performance advantage. Looks is a different thing... They look cool...

Zombie is spot on... As I steel guy I guarantee the quality of material is reduced as the cost drops... You want good performance get a good quality rotor...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage_beauty View Post
Has anyone ever used ATL Auto Sports drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic brakes? My breaks are squealing and a local guy recommended these. $182 for all four rotors and brakes. Not incl install.
$182 for 4 rotors and pads ... yikes, no thank you. Just good (name brand) FRONT rotors alone should cost around that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Never heard of them. I personally will never get drilled and slotted rotors again. But if it is a bargain buy you are looking for - just be careful. The old saying goes "You get what you pay for."
Very much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage_beauty View Post
How come? I know they are usually recommended for racing which I don't do.
Quite the contrary, look at any actual racecar and there is no cross drilling or slotting of the rotors, just a premium blank. Its basically a gimmick now, in an interview with Ferrari they were asked why their road cars had drilled rotors and their racecars didnt and their answer was "people think that's what racecars have, so we give it to them." Way back when you needed holes to prevent gassing of the pads, but as pad material and brake cooling technology has increased, the cross drilled holes are now obsolete. Yeah, they look cool, but they serve no purpose, and in a racing environment will crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Zombie is spot on... As I steel guy I guarantee the quality of material is reduced as the cost drops... You want good performance get a good quality rotor...
Its the materials and the machining. Premium rotors are machined with no oils or solvents, which is very hard on the machines and bits, and so production costs go up. Cheap rotors are machined using oils and lubricants so thy can just pump them out, but the oils and other chemicals / solvents will actually seep into the pores of the metal and impact the performance of the rotors in terms of warping / cracking / heat distribution / friction surface ... Just not a very nice combination of things.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Lots of race cars/teams use drilled rotors. Ceramic carbon/carbon rotors are drilled as well. I have used drilled rotors for many years on the street without issue on my truck and cars. Anything can be abused to the point of failure. Who knows, your mileage my vary...quality has got to have a great deal to do with how far you can push the product. But then again, if one is easy on his stuff, anything will last longer.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Keep in mind that this grade of material also needs to warm to a particular temp before it performs well. It is highly unlikely you will ever generate the same amount of heat on the street as on a competitive track.

Another downside is that the materials will wear faster than high grade standard materials.

I learned the hard way what looks good in shows and performs well on the track is not always a good choice for the street. High performance parts are not only more expensive, they can also require a lot more maintainance.

For every benefit in an upgraded part a trade off is made. When you strengthen one part, other parts will show their weaknesses. By the time you have addressed all of the issues it is time to work on the first part again.

Welcome to the world of performance.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So what are some good name quality rotors?

The majority of brake rotors appear to be made in China.

There are some from Europe but I can't seem to find any, other than the following, that are entirely made in the US.

StopTech is the high performance and racing brand from Centric Parts.
StopTech "AeroRotors" are 100% made in the USA, with both casting and machining taking place in California.
StopTech "AeroRotors" are patented "2-piece" hat and rotor assemblies.

I have to assume that all other rotors by Centric Parts or StopTech are not made in the US. Maybe finished and/or drilled but not cast in a US foundry.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So what are some good name quality rotors?

The majority of brake rotors appear to be made in China.

There are some from Europe but I can't seem to find any, other than the following, that are entirely made in the US.

StopTech is the high performance and racing brand from Centric Parts.
StopTech "AeroRotors" are 100% made in the USA, with both casting and machining taking place in California.
StopTech "AeroRotors" are patented "2-piece" hat and rotor assemblies.

I have to assume that all other rotors by Centric Parts or StopTech are not made in the US. Maybe finished and/or drilled but not cast in a US foundry.
Centric, Brembo, OEM, Stoptech, AP racing, DBA ( they've got really interesting internal veins, really been wanting to try some out). There are plenty to choose from, pretty much just any that arent $180 for all 4 rotors and pads... again, just good pads should almost cost that much. I know i go overkill on some things, but still... that's so cheap its scary.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Centric, Brembo, OEM, Stoptech, AP racing, DBA ( they've got really interesting internal veins, really been wanting to try some out). There are plenty to choose from, pretty much just any that arent $180 for all 4 rotors and pads... again, just good pads should almost cost that much. I know i go overkill on some things, but still... that's so cheap its scary.
All great brands.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Cheap pads are so dangerous when even slightly exercised that the EU has adopted a legal standard (R90 spec I think) for road use. EBC says if you're paying less than $60 for pads they likely don't pass R90. Both EBC & StopTech have websites with great info.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang