Deep Exhaust on a Budget - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Deep Exhaust on a Budget

Wanting to start doing research on a good exhaust setup for 2013 V6 and wanted to know what is the best route to go for a deep tone and little to no rasp. So far in mind I want to get shorty headers, offroad h pipe, and a simple muffler delete. If you know any good routes to take with what parts please let me know. Ive heard shorties give a deeper tone than long tube but that could be wrong, and x pipes rasp. Sorry for another exhaust post, I know they are everywhere
5oh.its.not is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^rasp city
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah don't do a muffler delete...
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Don't do offroad anything......

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Mac mufflers and mac headers are a decent combo on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^rasp city
What do you think is a good setup to go with?
Old 04-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Gotta pay to play.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Once you go off road anything you just brought the worst case Rasp in the world, and then to add muffler deletes also, so not only do you have rasp you have drone. The louder the 3.7 is the crappier it sounds IMO.
You want to stay away from rasp keep the stock cats and resonators.
BTW Short tube headers, stock cats and resonators, true X-Pipe and Borla Touring, no Rasp, drone or anything else that would annoy the crap out of me.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Gotta pay to play.

Yes indeed. I thought I paid too much when I bought my roush axle backs used for $300. Those were horrible after a while so I just purchased borla s-types and those are definitely too expensive. After doing tons of research and my mustang being too quiet I decided I would have to pay the price and buy them.
Cooolbreeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

BTW, you want deep, Short Tube headers Borla S-Types or FRPP Sports, and if you want a little lower the FRPP cut and Clamp X-Pipe but leave the Cats and Resonators alone if you don't want the bad part of being loud, IE the Rasp and Drone.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If you want deep, no rasp or burble, and don't care about it being on the quiet side unless you step on it, get Magnaflow Streets.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imfuqnchris View Post
offroad h pipe, and a simple muffler delete
If you're wanting to minimize rasp, this is the opposite of what you want to do. Keep the cats, or at least stick with high-flows. Also, go with a chambered muffler.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
If you want deep, no rasp or burble, and don't care about it being on the quiet side unless you step on it, get Magnaflow Streets.

Yea I was looking at magnaflow competition axle backs for a while because I don't mind loud but I heard they give a lot of drone then I saw the streets where pretty quiet, but if I get shorty headers I may go with the magnaflow streets.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I too am looking at a tone change for my 2012 V6. I'm looking at doing an axle back swap to Cherry Bomb glass packs. Used CB's in my youth on several of my hot rods and liked the tone they gave. It varies depending on which model but the also give sound samples on their website.

I will say that going magnaflow or thrustmaster or borla etc etc etc will give a great sound (and I know this will stir debate) but Cherry Bombs can do the same for several hundred dollars less! Priced some yesterday on their site for 30-100 dollars each. They are a long time company started in 1968 so they do have a good reputation and history in hot rods.
ajkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yea I was looking at magnaflow competition axle backs for a while because I don't mind loud but I heard they give a lot of drone then I saw the streets where pretty quiet, but if I get shorty headers I may go with the magnaflow streets.
I have the Magnaflow Competition mufflers on my V6 and absolutely love the deep V8 sound they produce, and with no drone.

Fantastic deep sound, no drone.

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
I have the Magna flow Competition mufflers on my V6 and absolutely love the deep V8 sound they produce, and with no drone.

Fantastic deep sound, no drone.

Sweet, yea I think I'm going to get the magnaflow comp's as much as I want to get the borla s types. I like the deep note the comp's give. Maybe later get some headers or better h pipe
Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Mac mufflers and mac headers are a decent combo on a budget.

Just put on Mac's, after hearing them you can't go wrong!
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynes World View Post
Just put on Mac's, after hearing them you can't go wrong!
Yea I saw the macs a while ago and thought they sounded great but then saw a bunch of posts saying they drone. I may go with those
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I saw the macs a while ago and thought they sounded great but then saw a bunch of posts saying they drone. I may go with those
It took me almost 2 years to decide on the Mufflers on my car, I have listened to almost every you tube video out there. Truthfully what sounds good to me or anyone else might not sound good to you and vice versa.
My Exhaust was done to add low end power while staying 49 state smog legal (I don't ever plan on moving back to California), the mufflers were added just to make it sound better after all the rest was done.
You need to listen to what you like and if possible hear it at a show or cruise. Everyone is going to tell you what sounds good to them, not you
Old 04-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
It took me almost 2 years to decide on the Mufflers on my car, I have listened to almost every you tube video out there. Truthfully what sounds good to me or anyone else might not sound good to you and vice versa.
My Exhaust was done to add low end power while staying 49 state smog legal (I don't ever plan on moving back to California), the mufflers were added just to make it sound better after all the rest was done.
You need to listen to what you like and if possible hear it at a show or cruise. Everyone is going to tell you what sounds good to them, not you
yea I've been doing lots of research from exterior mods to exhaust and I am set on the borla s types because they sound great and have no drone. I think the magnaflow sound great but the comp's can drone badly people say but then some say they don't drone at all.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yea I've been doing lots of research from exterior mods to exhaust and I am set on the borla s types because they sound great and have no drone. I think the magnaflow sound great but the comp's can drone badly people say but then some say they don't drone at all.
I have been told mine sounds like the S-Types with my Short tubes and the Borla Touring and have heard the S-types with short tubes and it really was a deep sound
Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Magnaflow 'had' two different muffler systems called 'competition' at one time. My 'competition' axlebacks that are straight pipes with Magnaflow tips are 'now' called 'race'.

This is why there is some confusion over why some people say the competitions drone, and some people say they don't
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Gotta pay to play.

This 100%.

If you're going to do it, do it once and do it right. The best deep sounding ABs would be FRPP or Borla S-types, hands down in my opinion. If you can find a set of used ones you'll be able to save some cash, but those are the best at the moment for the V6's.

If you have to wait a little longer to get them I would wait, it's worth it.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
This 100%.

If you're going to do it, do it once and do it right. The best deep sounding ABs would be FRPP or Borla S-types, hands down in my opinion. If you can find a set of used ones you'll be able to save some cash, but those are the best at the moment for the V6's.

Definitely worth it.

When it comes to cars, you can only have 2 of the following and you won't have the other:

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Old 04-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
This 100%.

Okay thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to look for a used set of borla s types, or the frpp because I like the sound of those too. If anyone has the frpp can you tell me if they drone at all? I don't feel like they would though.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Whatever you do dont buy these!! Headache and drone city at any speed. Had them with the Mac shorties and stock midpipe. Stayed on my car for one whole day.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #27

Just go Flowmasters with stock exhaust. For what you'll pay for shorties and an install the power increase is minimal. Deep tone and the cats and resonator should keep the stuff you don't want to a minimum.

Inexpensive set up and install at a muffler shop.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
Just go Flowmasters with stock exhaust. For what you'll pay for shorties and an install the power increase is minimal. Deep tone and the cats and resonator should keep the stuff you don't want to a minimum.

Inexpensive set up and install at a muffler shop.

The flow masters force II?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oh.its.not View Post
The flow masters force II?
Usually I'd say a 40 Series. Might want to call them to see what they recommend.

There are some axle-back kits out there, but IMO they're expensive for what you get. Flowmasters will probably run about $70-80 per muffler and a shop can weld them into your existing pipes for less than $100. If you like the sound of other mufflers, same choice and roughly sale cost.

Unless you're going to mod the car and want loudness, probably the best way to go for now. Just take the time to research it up so you're happy with it in the end.

SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust