the other side of tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
the other side of tunes

I'm not going to ask who or which tuner is the best for our 3.7. I've read every post I could find and have made up my mind who will get my business. I already have SCT 4 tuner I'm just trying to get more info on the factory warranty issue before pulling the trigger.

I've read several posts abt having a tune being a non-issue when certain dealer repair work was needed. I understand you take a chance. After 25k miles I figure any obvious issues would have surfaced by now.

What I haven't read much of was the nightmare stories. I'd like to hear the other side of tunes and dealers, the ones that used a tune as an excuse not to cover or void your factory warranty.
Anyone?
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Best thing you can do is talk to your dealer about it, some are more lenient than others. But for me, I've had my Bama tune for about 30k and MPT for 5k and no issues here.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Getting the tranny replaced with the tune still on and a big MPT decal on the dash
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
With a procharger supercharger, BBK shorties, flowmaster, and hundreds of other mods, for never having been to the dealership since my purchase, they honored their power train warranty and my water pump was replaced at no cost (well, small cost for removal of modified parts).
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
what Chris said....talk to your dealer. Some ain't cool, others are fair. Also if you don't like one dealer try another. I will caution they won't put it in writing. I get my oil filters from where I would bring it in for wtty service. I say "hi" to both service and sales....sales helped me out one time when I needed a friend.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
With a procharger supercharger, BBK shorties, flowmaster, and hundreds of other mods, for never having been to the dealership since my purchase, they honored their power train warranty and my water pump was replaced at no cost (well, small cost for removal of modified parts).
Yeah remember reading your post and was blown away by the cooperation from your dealer...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

Old 04-18-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Talk to your dealer like others have said & also tell them whom you are tuning with ... the name can go a long way.

Also, when you tune ... make sure you get this ... it will save you headaches down the road:

Steeda Billet OBD II Port Cover - Made in USA 555-1260 | Free Shipping!

Happy to help if you are going with Steeda

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Talk to your dealer like others have said & also tell them whom you are tuning with ... the name can go a long way.

Also, when you tune ... make sure you get this ... it will save you headaches down the road:

Steeda Billet OBD II Port Cover - Made in USA 555-1260 | Free Shipping!

Happy to help if you are going with Steeda

Best Regards,

TJ
LOL About that port cover, in the copy it says that a dealer overwriting your tune would render your tuner "useless". Can't you just return to stock and reload your tune if that happens?
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
LOL About that port cover, in the copy it says that a dealer overwriting your tune would render your tuner "useless". Can't you just return to stock and reload your tune if that happens?
If only it was that simple ...

Steeda writes your custom tune around your processor code.

Once you load your Steeda tune onto your device (then onto your car) ... the SCT device automatically stores the factory tune.

Yes, now your factory Ford strategy is stored on the device and you can re-load your factory tune back on the vehicle at any time. Note, if you have mods that require a tune ... they will also have to be removed if you are running your factory tune.

When the dealer flashes your computer with the new strategy ... without your knowledge ... your car will no longer have the original factory program and your Steeda tunes will no longer work -- you will have to remove any mods that are tune specific.

Also the factory tune saved in the device is no longer able to be used because it now contains the old strategy.

You will essentially have to get the SCT unlocked since it has all the previous codes stored from your car.

I think I explained that the best I could

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
If you have a tune and start to feel symptoms of an issue you can go back to stock and if you can get 100 miles before service, chances are they will never know. They would have to send your ecu to Ford to find out if you had a tune. That's unlikely to happen unless you have a major engine or tranny failure.

I was paranoid too but I couldnt take my sluggish auto anymore.

Also, I will always go back to stock before taking my car in for anything to avoid the above issue. Make sure you use your SCT software to back-up your stock tune to your computer as well.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
At my Ford dealer I talked to different supervisors before biting the bullet and they all agreed that you only lose warranty on whatever is affected by the tune. I've taking the car in for work on the rear axle and other minor issues and they know I have a tune but have never denied me service.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
If you have a tune and start to feel symptoms of an issue you can go back to stock and if you can get 100 miles before service, chances are they will never know. They would have to send your ecu to Ford to find out if you had a tune. That's unlikely to happen unless you have a major engine or tranny failure.

I was paranoid too but I couldnt take my sluggish auto anymore.

Also, I will always go back to stock before taking my car in for anything to avoid the above issue. Make sure you use your SCT software to back-up your stock tune to your computer as well.
Well that is good news... At 60 miles a day a hundred is nothing...
That is the first time I've heard that. I hope it's true.
Best news I've had all day thanks... Have a drink on me!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Well that is good news... At 60 miles a day a hundred is nothing...
That is the first time I've heard that. I hope it's true.
Best news I've had all day thanks... Have a drink on me!
That's what I found through my research pre-tune anyway. When I was a service writer my techs confirmed that not only will they not see a flash over 100 miles, but unless they notice a bunch of mods hanging off your car, they rarely check. This is for minor stuff like a water pump, etc. though.

The only thing I worry about is something happening where I cant return to stock. But thats the risk we all take.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure my shorty's and airaid tube with the stock box wouldn't qualify as an excessive amount.

If I remember correctly back a few years ago the ecu would reset based on the number of ignition on recorded. I guess now days it records everything and is in a loop after a 100 mile distance.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well after talking with a good friend from the long horn state whose wife is a highly respected service writer that had filled me in on the loop holes regarding tunes, I loaded my first purchased tune the other day and I'm blown away on the pleasure in driving.

I Absolutely hated the shift points and lack of speed in going from gear to gear. Reminded me of the old pickup truck with a 3 speed on the floor. With a 93 performance street tune the shifts are precise and predictable. Like many before me have reported the surging is gone & throttle response is quick & without hesitation.

Also to answer my own posted question and anyone else curious abt a tune in sport mode with an AT the improvement follow you over. In other words if you wanna manually shift it it hits just as hard as in D. If you hit the back roads every now and then you'll appreciate the quickness of the shifts.

Mine is a daily driver and I rack up 60-70 miles a day. I average 75-85 mph on the highway and even with the occasional testing the rpm range my mpg judging by the on board monitor went from 23.6 to 23.8 in the first 100 miles since the tune. I wasn't expecting an improvement at all.

Took the wife for her first drive since the install and she noticed the difference by the time it shifted to 3rd out of the driveway.
I don't care who you chose a tune from, any of the top dogs are well worth it. IMHO

Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well ... whom did you go with?

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bama 93oct ftw, I been rocking it for the last 40k miles(going to hit 90k tomorrow!) And I have the same daily commute as you, I do about 74miles a day, a solid 70mph to work and aggressive thru rush hour home and I still avg 25.5 with all my mods. It is amazing the shift point differences v stock, could never drive mine not tuned ever again.
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You never realize how slow our V6's are, until you have ran a tune
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

What can go wrong with the tune that'll mess up your car

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
What can go wrong with the tune that'll mess up your car

You just have to make sure you back up your stock tune to a computer and do NOT update your tuner unless you return your car to stock tune first. Otherwise I havent seen any issues. Actually I have seen a couple idle issues but those are correctable by the company that writes the tune.

But the key is the first part I wrote.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Now as far as removing cats my dealer does not recommended that at all. And that will cause problems even with a tune is that true?

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not at all.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Now as far as removing cats my dealer does not recommended that at all. And that will cause problems even with a tune is that true?

I've never heard of anyone having issues after getting rid of their cats. It allows the engine to breath easier which is better for the car. However deleting your cats is illegal in most if not every state I believe, since it makes your car pollute more. That's the only issue I know of when deleting your cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well after drawing from a hat sorta I went with MPT for my performance tune. Right out of the box I have zero issues with any aspect of the tune. Other than the obvious shift improvement under normal everyday driving in stop n go traffic you or no one else would know a difference. But be the first in line at the light change and everyone will take note when you wanna put some distance between you and the guy behind you.

I plan on getting an economy tune in the near future for those road trips. I can always reload once I get there. From my research it seems like in most areas tune programmers have their specialty. Some are known for out right performance others for reliability and some it seems are generic across the board tunes.

My car will see very little if any Christmas trees in it's future. This tune was for my enjoyment on the streets. My economy tune more than likely I'll be getting from someone other than MPT.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Well after drawing from a hat sorta I went with MPT for my performance tune. Right out of the box I have zero issues with any aspect of the tune. Other than the obvious shift improvement under normal everyday driving in stop n go traffic you or no one else would know a difference. But be the first in line at the light change and everyone will take note when you wanna put some distance between you and the guy behind you.

I plan on getting an economy tune in the near future for those road trips. I can always reload once I get there. From my research it seems like in most areas tune programmers have their specialty. Some are known for out right performance others for reliability and some it seems are generic across the board tunes.

My car will see very little if any Christmas trees in it's future. This tune was for my enjoyment on the streets. My economy tune more than likely I'll be getting from someone other than MPT.

I think SCT makes an economy tune.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang