Should I upgrade my own interior or have someone else do it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Should I upgrade my own interior or have someone else do it?

Hey, y'all! Looking for some advice about some interior upgrades to my new 2012 Mustang!

So the base speaker system is decent, but still really lacking in my opinion. Initially I was pretty gung-ho about installing my own new radio and speakers, along with hardwiring some blue LED underdash lights and dome lights. I started looking into it a bit more and got very intimidated. I'm not very good with wires and technical things, but I also appreciate the feeling of doing something on your own. For example, the computer I am on right now I built myself. It's a good feeling.

But I'm wondering if it's worth it since it's just a one time upgrade? I'm kinda nervous about cosmetic damage to the dash, door panels, etc. if I try to take them off by myself. I'm also worried I might wire something wrong and mess everything up! So I found a good shop locally and thought I might have them do it. Does anyone have experience upgrading their own interior and speaker system? What would you rate the difficulty?

I was looking specifically into getting:
- this JBL subwoofer/amp combo, click here
- these JBL speakers, click here (but I'm not sure if I need two speakers or four)
- this radio system, click here Pumpkin Quad Core 7 inch 2 DIN Universal Android 4.4 Car Stereo Radio HD
- this dash kit, click here ADS MUS1 Radio Installation Kit

But then something I was reading said I needed some sort of Maestro kit to use the dash kit I linked? And I tried to figure out what that was and then got confused. And so then I started worrying about what other wires and parts I may need aside from the things I just linked above, and what if I miswire something, etc.

Any guidance is appreciated!

juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
My Opinion, Even though I have a better than average knowledge of Stereo Equipment and Installation, I still prefer to have a Pro who does that all the time and does pretty good work install my system. Why not place the job on someone who's better at doing it. Doing it yourself, leaves all the blame on you and any repair that needs to be done is also on YOU. Find a good shop and let them do it to your liking. By the way, that's a nice Stereo you picked out.

KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
The Maestro kit is to connect the steering wheel functions to the HU, basically allows them to talk to each other.

If you've never done an install before, I'd recommend you let a shop do it. Unless you don't mind a day committed to getting it to work correctly.

You built your own computer, this isn't much more complicated, just on a larger scale and more time consuming IMO.

Using plastic pry tools and watching YouTube videos would prevent any damage done to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Oxford White 5.0 Premium

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
I have a 14' and I've found the car really easy to tear down. Just get a nice set of plastic pry tools, watch you tube, and take your time. I put new front speakers in and it took about 1/2 hr. When I bought the car they told me the HU was XM ready well it wasn't. They made up for it and cut me a nice check. I purchased another OEM HU off eBay with XM and installed that and the antenna. That took maybe two hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014 V6 Convertible Ruby Red Tint, Borla S-Types
papivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Alaska
If you get an aftermarket head unit it must provide HVAC support built into the radio, the reason is that all the radio and HVAC is all built into one unit from the factory. I replaced all speakers, head unit, added sub and two amps myself. There is a ton of info online.

Sent from my LG-AS811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Pay someone then you can always go back to them if it isn't working like you want it too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang