Airaid Cold Intake Concern - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I planned on going the Airraid tube with AFE drop in, but scored a used Airraid intake for $150. Definitely worth it for sound. At $300, well, there's a reason I hadn't gotten one yet.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Everyone is talking down any gains with CAI's then they turn around and buy them as people sell them for cheap $$.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Everyone is talking down any gains with CAI's then they turn around and buy them as people sell them for cheap $$.
I'd gladly throw $150 at intake mods. Beyond that...probably not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwest61 View Post
The Airaid cold intake I installed in my 2013 V6 coupe last year is of the type that it is not enclosed on top. When I clean my vehicle at a local car wash using the high pressure wand water sometimes collects in the bottom of the air box. I am not sure in the water is getting there from the gap between the hood and driver side front fender or from the box air opening. My main concern is that someday (if it has not already happened) water will be pulled into the engine. Is such concern warranted? Would the dry Airaid filter prevent such from happening? I have seen Cold Intake systems that are enclosed on top, should I consider replacing mine with such type?
You have nothing to worry about, if it were really an issue, you'd hear about it a lot more...

Quote:
Without a vent in the hood, I doubt the water is getting in through the hood area. More likely you are spraying it in through the OE air inlet which connects to the Airaid box the same way as it connected to the OE box.
In other words I'm guessing you'd have water in an OE closed box too, if it was so equipped.
Simply try covering the box on top, with whatever, and see if you still get water in it.
I agree with this, likely coming in through the grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Although I live in Oregon we have a lot more rain than Colorado....and again I never take mine to a car wash I do it the ole fashion way....buy hand.
I had an open Airaid on my 14 TrakPak and only collected a very small amount of water on really rainy days driving on the freeway. Like was said, the system will not allow any water to enter the motor and it would take a lot of water to cause any issues....A Lot of Water!
50+ years ago we would run a very small amount of water through the motor to clean out the carbon....water unless it's enough to cause a hydraulic lock will not harm the motor.....
Exactly. like was established, the "air pickup" is at the very top of the grille. You would have to be in water at least up to that point, and then the "air pickup" ramps upwards towards the air box and THEN the air filter sits a few inches above the bottom of the airbox ... your car would literally have to be under water before sucking in enough water to lock the motor was a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
A little water being sucked into the engine will not hurt it. I remember my father telling me that WWII fighter planes had water injection for a quick boost of horsepower. I can also remember one way to get rid of carbon buildup in old engines was to pour a little water down the carburetor while the car was running. I don't thinh there is anything to worry about.
Water / meth injection was first utilized on those engines. Not really an apples / apples comparison, as the water was used as a chemical intercooler (those engines were supercharged) and the alcohol was added to keep the water from freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
The problem isn't getting a little water in the engine. It's when the MAF Sensor gets a good amount of moisture on it, it will not read the airflow right and it will throw a Wrench light. Which then will cause the car to stutter and sometimes shut off.
Correct, that is a very valid concern. That being said though, the filter would have to be absolutely soaking wet to cause that issue, and as i pointed out above (and hell, i've been wrong before) i think its very hard for the filter to see that much moisture.

Quote:
The testing we did showed the stock air box lacked airflow but kept temps a few degrees cooler. I'd say it works pretty damn well for a factory setup, but i certainly wouldnt say its the best. The $$/performance is up to the individual though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #40
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I've read the V8's have no real performance gain it's another of those sound improvement/bling gains only.

looking for a v8 at a good price
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I've read the V8's have no real performance gain it's another of those sound improvement/bling gains only.

looking for a v8 at a good price
Got one for ya at a steal. $50,000 no questions asked.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #42
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I meant good for me....
Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #44
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You have nothing to worry about, if it were really an issue, you'd hear about it a lot more...

I agree with this, likely coming in through the grille.

Exactly. like was established, the "air pickup" is at the very top of the grille. You would have to be in water at least up to that point, and then the "air pickup" ramps upwards towards the air box and THEN the air filter sits a few inches above the bottom of the airbox ... your car would literally have to be under water before sucking in enough water to lock the motor was a problem.

Water / meth injection was first utilized on those engines. Not really an apples / apples comparison, as the water was used as a chemical intercooler (those engines were supercharged) and the alcohol was added to keep the water from freezing.

Correct, that is a very valid concern. That being said though, the filter would have to be absolutely soaking wet to cause that issue, and as i pointed out above (and hell, i've been wrong before) i think its very hard for the filter to see that much moisture.

The testing we did showed the stock air box lacked airflow but kept temps a few degrees cooler. I'd say it works pretty damn well for a factory setup, but i certainly wouldnt say its the best. The $$/performance is up to the individual though.
You keep it up with all that knowledge and this is gonna be happening...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13087400_10209478452546013_6606577727553076001_n.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	200384  

Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So with a tune is the CAI advantageous over the stock with modular intake tube? For instance the Steeda and JLT you need a tune.
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would say yes, as long as it requires a tune. Otherwise you're just buying a different tube with a cone filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
So with a tune is the CAI advantageous over the stock with modular intake tube? For instance the Steeda and JLT you need a tune.
Again, the reason the Steeda requires a tune is because it changes the MAF diameter, and the tune must be adjusted so the car can calculate fueling properly.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Without the tune the motor will have a tendency to go lean on one bank of the other.......on a Coyote anyway......I have been there and done that.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
I would say yes, as long as it requires a tune. Otherwise you're just buying a different tube with a cone filter.

So with full bolt-on you should see an advantage with the Steeda CAI and tune vs. stock air box with modular tube.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yes, because there is more air going to the engine.

If you don't tune it, you'll run lean and have less power as a result.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Without the tune the motor will have a tendency to go lean on one bank of the other.......on a Coyote anyway......I have been there and done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Yes, because there is more air going to the engine.

If you don't tune it, you'll run lean and have less power as a result.

The only reason one would need to adjust the tune for an intake is if the MAF diameter changes... the point of a MAF is to account for the mass of air coming in, it can compensate for increased rates of flow. If you needed a tune every time your flow rate changed then you would have to get another tune every time the weather changed from hot to cold.

I know i have probably posted this picture a dozen times, but this is what a MAF curve looks like. You can see it is Logarithmic to compensate for vast changes in airflow, from daily driving, to large amounts of air at WOT. Just changing airflow will not cause a tune to run lean. It just wont.

Now, all that being said, i am by no means suggesting you do not get a tune. You should still get a tune, i am just trying to clear up some confusion, it is perfectly safe to add an intake with the same MAF diameter as stock without a tune.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
So with full bolt-on you should see an advantage with the Steeda CAI and tune vs. stock air box with modular tube.
I think what you are trying to ask is there an advantage to have Steeda CAI with Tune vs. the stock air box with modular tube "and a tune"?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think what you are trying to ask is there an advantage to have Steeda CAI with Tune vs. the stock air box with modular tube "and a tune"?
Correct
Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I was gonna see if AM would datalog with a friend of mine to see if this air induction setup was beneficial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b9483903e7969a7d5538c8fed963bc0d.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	200509  

Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I was gonna see if AM would datalog with a friend of mine to see if this air induction setup was beneficial.
Now is that still considered a cold air intake, even when the sun is shining on it?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Now is that still considered a cold air intake, even when the sun is shining on it?
It better! With the AM discount it came out to $8,732.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Last time i cleaned my engine bay I just put a plastic bag from a grocery store over my intake and anything else that doesn't like being wet and just made an effort to not spray water directly at the intake. I've never noticed water at the bottom of my airbox from normal exterior washes though, I have a JLT CAI on my 2011 V6.
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang