Exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Exhaust question

Ok...i know I'm gonna get slammed for this one lol....

It's there any way to tone down the Roush axle back exhaust a bit? It's good and loud, but I'm sure my neighbors and especially my wife would appreciate it being little quieter. I leave for work at 4am so I am usually the only one up but not now lol

I love the deep tone but it gets so loud that I have to drive it like I'm afraid to give it gas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cause if I can't find solution, I'm gonna have to go back to stock.

Thanx
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm afraid your probably stuck with them being loud. Those things are pretty much just a straight pipe. You could add some resonators into the exhaust to tone down the rasp you get above 3k rpm but I don't think it tones down the loudness much. Those things are downright loud. Lol
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What about those silencers I've seen online? They say they drop 1-3 db and some say 7db. Didn't know if anyone has tried them and if so do they work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Never heard of them but best of luck.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
This isn't me trying to be mean or anything. Just thinking out loud to the community that does stuff to make their exhaust crazy loud and raspy then asks others why is it like this.

I don't understand why people buy Roush or Pypes. By the time they figure out that it is too loud, then the effort and research they put in to tame the sound + As well as shop labor and additional exhaust components if purchased (resonaters, glass packs, shorty headers, etc) - They could have just spent a little more initially and got quality mufflers that didn't sound like s***.

I know this probably isn't helpful but it is something that has always bugged me. There are about a million threads, youtube videos, and reviews that say things like Roush mufflers being too loud, Too much drone, Too much Rasp, etc. Then later down the road the people add Longtubes or an X pipe then just seem baffled by the outcome of the car sounding like a ricer.

But to answer your question, getting resonators added or getting shorty headers will help tame the sound some. More time and $$$ though!

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Research it's only as good what you find... All the videos and such read said no drone, not too loud etc. So I went with these. Honestly they sound good... Just too loud for me. Might have a date with my ramps.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I just did the most basic of searches and checked AM's reviews and found these (not bashing AM, they are just my go-to vendor so I always check their reviews. Sorry Alex!!!)...

I could probably dig a little more but this only took me all of less than 1 minute.

Even vendors suggest spending more money to fix this. Which is a waste if the initial purchase was a good quality/sounding muffler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	200372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	200373  

Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Put a set of 18" glass pack on, quiets it right down, so much so they came off my car the next day! I have Roush with shorties.
Pm me if your interested in them.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Put a set of 18" glass pack on, quiets it right down, so much so they came off my car the next day! I have Roush with shorties.
Pm me if your interested.

Sent from the future.
That would be the only way I could see Roush mufflers being on the v6 and to me, sounding good (with the shorty headers but stock midpipe).

But question - how is the drone on them? The 2011 I had w/ 3.31s had hella drone between 2200-3200 RPM in 5th or 6th when I installed the Trident ABs. And those are about the same as Roush.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
18 months of reading forums, listening to videos and comparing what other people have done on forums I found out some things that helped and used it to my advantage.
BTW if I am paying the money for anyone's exhaust, I do not want to have to pay more to make it right, that means fit or sound.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust