Tuning advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tuning advice

Okay so I'm really looking forward on tuning the 3.7 but I hear dyno tune is the best then I hear that a sct handheld tune is the same can somebody please explain the difference and if there is a difference in power between dyno tune and a handheld tune
3.7 silvrbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno tune will get the most power

But unless you have quite a few mods it would be best to just get a SCT tune with either a bama or MPT tune pre-loaded...

Instagram: @Alpha3.7
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 AM   #3

Region: California
dyno will get u best results in most cases because they can adjsut while having the car there ... i have. abama tune and they work great u can also data log ur car n send it to bama so they can fine tune it and u get free tunes for life so to me that be best way to go upose to paying just once for a dyno

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
kenneth0384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My 2014 DIB has a 93 SCT "canned" tune I enjoy, but MPT has the "Lock" on these 3.7 Cyclone motors as far as tunes go. Call em, they are good people.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bama deff the way to go, as already said the lifetime tunes is awesome to have, and the guys over at Bama are great and very helpful.
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna tell you exactly what I'm working on doing. I'm gonna buy the bama tuner which comes with 2 free tunes and then updated tunes for life. The Bama tuner is just a SCT tuner with bama's logo on it so I will probably also pick up the MPT ghost cam tune eventually. But if you're between a SCT and a Bama, then just go with a Bama to get more bang for your buck.

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7 silvrbullet View Post
Okay so I'm really looking forward on tuning the 3.7 but I hear dyno tune is the best then I hear that a sct handheld tune is the same can somebody please explain the difference and if there is a difference in power between dyno tune and a handheld tune
Don't waste you're money on a dyno tune for a N/A build. All the tuning companies can dial in a tune by data logging. OP, take it from a guy that has Bama, MPT and Steeda tunes. Start out with Bama tunes, (there awesome) get used to it and then jump up to MPT tune.

I love my Bama tune but MPT has the lock down on the 3.7. Bama tunes have always been awesome for me, MPT is just a bit more awesome. Again, my recommendation based on first hand knowledge, start out with Bama, down the road spend the extra $75 and get a MPT tune.

Forget about a dyno tune, no need for a N/A build.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You're confused on the concept.

The SCT is the device that puts the tune on the car, nothing more. The way of getting those tunes are either email or dyno. Email and dyno tunes are the exact same thing, 100% the exact same. The tuner is looking at the datalogs and making adjustments, there is nothing different - This coming from someone who has experience writing tunes for cars both on the dyno and via email.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

The SCT is the device that puts the tune on the car, nothing more. The way of getting those tunes are either email or dyno. Email and dyno tunes are the exact same thing, 100% the exact same. The tuner is looking at the datalogs and making adjustments, there is nothing different - This coming from someone who has experience writing tunes for cars both on the dyno and via email.
^^^^You know, this guy is 100% correct. Data logging is dyno tuning. Making adjustments based on the cars data.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So don't waste your money and time to go get your car dyno'd. The tuner does that for you.

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
Old 04-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Unless you go the forced induction route, emailing tunes and data logs will work for you.

Just make sure to actually data log so they can dial it in for your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
So I'm gonna be data logging soon myself.
With a AT anyone know abt what the MPH will be in 3rd at redline?
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It'll be the same for a manual with the same gear ratio, what is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How's this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gears vs speed.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	200446
manual and auto not the same gears.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Attachment 200446
manual and auto not the same gears.
Nice chart.
You got one for an AT?
I assume MT82 is the stick...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

3rd is 1.52 in the 6r80 vs 1.66 in the MT82, which means it will be topping out at about 142 assuming you still have the 2.73s. Hell, 2nd gear in a 2.73 auto goes to almost 100, the 2.73s are just crazy long gears.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
3rd is 1.52 in the 6r80 vs 1.66 in the MT82, which means it will be topping out at about 142 assuming you still have the 2.73s. Hell, 2nd gear in a 2.73 auto goes to almost 100, the 2.73s are just crazy long gears.
I have the PP auto which I think is 3.55 or something. So you telling me to data log my V6 as instructed from 2k to redline I'll have to find a place to do close to or over 100mph and hope I don't get carried away and blow a drive shaft if I decide to go 120+ Lol
Already got nailed for 104 in my dodge ram. Can't afford another $307 just to get a tune...

Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Take a couple buddies for some weekend track fun. If there is one near you anyway

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
Old 04-29-2016, 11:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
I have the PP auto which I think is 3.55 or something. So you telling me to data log my V6 as instructed from 2k to redline I'll have to find a place to do close to or over 100mph and hope I don't get carried away and blow a drive shaft if I decide to go 120+ Lol
Already got nailed for 104 in my dodge ram. Can't afford another $307 just to get a tune...
Its a 3.31, so that brings it to 116 or 118 give or take. Still pretty damn fast, but much more manageable. You can try to get it in at a drag strip, but i'm not certain you'll have enough room, and some are pretty strict about still accelerating past the "finish line."
Old 04-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its a 3.31, so that brings it to 116 or 118 give or take. Still pretty damn fast, but much more manageable. You can try to get it in at a drag strip, but i'm not certain you'll have enough room, and some are pretty strict about still accelerating past the "finish line."
Well the data log requires a 2k rolling to wot to redline in 3rd gear log so I guess it'll be a early morning run... real early...

Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Just put a really short tire on... like a really short tire, 25" or so lol, that'll bring that top speed down
Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:

This is absolutely not true. The SCT has tuning capabilities on it's own. Made a HUGE duffirence on my Stang just doing the 91 octane tune. The shifts are MUCH firmer and the transmission finds the right gear quicker as well.

My advice us start with the SCT alone and once you get enough mods installed, give MPT a call for a custom tune.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
This is absolutely not true. The SCT has tuning capabilities on it's own. Made a HUGE duffirence on my Stang just doing the 91 octane tune. The shifts are MUCH firmer and the transmission finds the right gear quicker as well.

My advice us start with the SCT alone and once you get enough mods installed, give MPT a call for a custom tune.
Unless I turbo or SC down the road I'm pretty much finished with my drive train mods. This is my DD so going radical isn't practical at his point.

I have contacted MPT already and just playing the waiting game now for a 93 octane street tune. If they tell me to data log I will I'm just trying to prepare myself for whats involved. With a stock DS 130+ mph isn't going to happen and I have no intention on replacing it any time soon... Well unless I find a deal...

Old 04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Unless I turbo or SC down the road I'm pretty much finished with my drive train mods. This is my DD so going radical isn't practical at his point.

I have contacted MPT already and just playing the waiting game now for a 93 octane street tune. If they tell me to data log I will I'm just trying to prepare myself for whats involved. With a stock DS 130+ mph isn't going to happen and I have no intention on replacing it any time soon... Well unless I find a deal...
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm cool with just my SCT tune for now but if I cime across an extra $100 I'll try the MPT tune down the road.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, just double checking that chart for the manual, I found the speeds are a bit high.
For 3rd gear auto (1.52), with 3.31 rear end and at 7000 RPM, comes out to about 112 MPH (That's with 27" diameter tires.)

The on-line calculator pretty much agrees with the long hand formula below.

MPH = (Engine RPM x tire circumference in feet) / (Rear Gear Ratio x Trans. Gear Ratio x 88)

Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually, just double checking that chart for the manual, I found the speeds are a bit high.
For 3rd gear auto (1.52), with 3.31 rear end and with speed at 7000 RPM, comes out to about 112 MPH (That's with 27" diameter tires.)

The on-line calculator pretty much agrees with the long hand formula below.

MPH = (Engine RPM x tire circumference in feet) / (Rear Gear Ratio x Trans. Gear Ratio x 88)

Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator
I believe the factory tire height is 28", so that would explain the difference. Thanks for pointing this out though, certainly brings things down to more... "manageable" speeds haha.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe the factory tire height is 28", so that would explain the difference. Thanks for pointing this out though, certainly brings things down to more... "manageable" speeds haha.
Factory tire on a '14 V6 PP is a 255/40r19 - 27" dia.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Factory tire on a '14 V6 PP is a 255/40r19 - 27" dia.
Derp, i forgot he had the PP, our base model had 28"s. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Buy yourself a good tuner like Diablosport. Something with good support if you need additional help. Your going to need a tuner anyway when you start doing serious upgrades like gears and tire sizes etc.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. If or when I do data log I'll take note and see how close it figures out...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang