GT Borla Mufflers on V6 Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
GT Borla Mufflers on V6 Question

I have a quick question and I've been looking around on the internet but can't find a straight answer. I understand the pipe size is different for v6 and GT so I would have to get it welded to fit but I wanted to know would a GT set of Borla axle backs on a v6 sound the same as a set of v6 Borla axle backs?
5oh.its.not is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know that shops can weld them to fit, but then you have to cut them off it you ever change the exhaust.
Massery94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I don't know of anyone that has done that, the GT500 a/b from FRPP sound good on the 3.7 and they are supposed to Borla made, but to Ford Specs.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It will sound different. Borla makes these specific to the car to make the sound they advertise
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They probably have different setups internally for the 5.0 and 3.7

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Hmm, really?

Mine were for a GT. Shop cut and welded. Sound great!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
He didn't ask if they would sound okay, asked if they sound different. They will. If you watch any videos on the R&D of a borla set up you will see how specific they tune the mufflers to that car. I have GT500 ataks on my car right now and I had the regular GT ataks before. The GT500 ones are a bit quieter than the GT ATAKs. My guess is this is because they designed this muffler for the GT500 that has no resonators and is FI and prob tends to be a bit louder. Does it sound good? Yeah, it's great. Does it sound different? Absolutely.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've never heard another Cyclone with S-Types in person. So I have nothing to which I can compare.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
It will sound different. Borla makes these specific to the car to make the sound they advertise
If they still sound good then that's okay. I figured they would probably sound a little different knowing they are specific to gt. But I didn't really know if they will still sound good
5oh.its.not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Absolutely, they would most likely sound different, maybe same type of tone but louder due to higher flow spec that a more powerful engine requires. I just recently had installed GT500 Magnaflow Street axlebacks for a quad tip setup on my car. It turned out a bit louder than I expected, especially the drone. Many videos I have seen of Magnaflow Streets made for the v6 showed it to be really mild.

I really love exhaust note my car now has, but I have to question whether I can handle the loud drone above 65mph for the life of this car, if I keep it for many years.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
Absolutely, they would most likely sound different, maybe same type of tone but louder due to higher flow spec that a more powerful engine requires. I just recently had installed GT500 Magnaflow Street axlebacks for a quad tip setup on my car. It turned out a bit louder than I expected, especially the drone. Many videos I have seen of Magnaflow Streets made for the v6 showed it to be really mild.

I really love exhaust note my car now has, but I have to question whether I can handle the loud drone above 65mph for the life of this car, if I keep it for many years.
Have you considered adding a J-pipe?
See...
"J-Pipe" Drone Solution
and
https://www.reddit.com/r/FocusST/com...or_tube_aka_j/
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Neat! So it didn't change the tone at all, just eliminates the drone above a certain rpm based on the pipes' length? Does it also have to be approximately the same diameter as the pipe it's being welded to or is slightly smaller works just as well?
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang