Best performance exhaust setup that's not too loud? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Best performance exhaust setup that's not too loud?

Looking to get some gains from the exhaust without being extremely loud / excessive drone.
Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Are you looking for a full exhaust or just a catback? Also I would stay away from axlebacks if you want performance gains, they are just for sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post

Looking to get some gains from the exhaust without being extremely loud / excessive drone.
What do you have for a car?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2012 Mustang V6 manual stock exhaust
Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferr View Post
Are you looking for a full exhaust or just a catback? Also I would stay away from axlebacks if you want performance gains, they are just for sound.

Really looking for more of a performance gain rather than anything else.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
2012 Mustang V6 manual stock exhaust

If you want full exhaust then I'd stick with the H pipe style and shorty headers as they tend to be less raspy then a long tube + x pipe set up. However shorties don't give you much peak hp gain, if anything they will lower it very slightly but they will give your car a good boost of power in the low-mid range. Also an x pipe will give you more power but if you're worried about it being too loud you might want to stick with a H pipe.

Ferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of gains would I be looking at with each setup? Is it possible to keep stock mufflers or does it sound like **** / hurt performance?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
What kind of gains would I be looking at with each setup? Is it possible to keep stock mufflers or does it sound like **** / hurt performance?

I have long tube headers with a catted shorty x-pipe and i did an experiment a couple years ago. I ran my Magnaflow competitions (straight pipes) i noticed a loss of low end torque but good high end power. I ran the stock factory mufflers, i noticed a loss of low end torque and high end power plus they sounded like crap. Then i ran my Magnaflow street series mufflers, my low end torque was back and high end power was also back, All my axle back mufflers were louder after i installed my long tubes with a shorty catted x-pipe.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gains are in the header department. Cat back or axle back is irrelevant for gains on their own.

Pick up some shorty headers to stay legal and a set of borla s type axle backs.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
+1 mariusvt

stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

The question you ask doesn't have a right answer you seek. Unfortunately, too loud tends to be subjective. What's too loud to you, may be too quiet for me. The performance gains won't be from the axle backs. Its from removing the cats and replacing the stock manifolds.

I think my set up sounds the best and not too loud! Others will strongly disagree and say their exhaust set up is the best. Best many times is just an opinion with no real right or wrong answer.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Borla S-Type

/thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Long tubes and straight pipes. It actually becomes so loud that it goes to a range that the human ear cant pick up so its not a problem. If you have a dog i recommend you not take them in the car though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Gains are in the header department. Cat back or axle back is irrelevant for gains on their own.

Pick up some shorty headers to stay legal and a set of borla s type axle backs.

Staying "legal" is not a concern in Alabama.

So you're suggesting the gains come from header replacement only?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

More like 80% of your exhaust gains are going to be the front half: headers and cat deletes. Maybe even 90%, because expecting 20% from the catback might be a bit generous. 2.25" pipe can still outflow the engine.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No you can get gains from freeing up any section of the exhaust. However, comparing your entire exhaust upgrade (from the motor back to the tips) to a two liter bottle, the mufflers would be a cap full.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If I tied in shorty headers to the stock exhaust what percentage gain could I expect?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I tied in shorty headers to the stock exhaust what percentage gain could I expect?

Very little. Trying to free up flow pre cats makes no sense.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Got ya. So maybe look at shorty headers and a catless h-pipe?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Probably as good as its going to get while avoiding rasp.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
You'll be able to hear my JBA headers paired with Borla S-Types in a few weeks if you're local to Bham (didn't see town listed).

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
You'll be able to hear my JBA headers paired with Borla S-Types in a few weeks if you're local to Bham (didn't see town listed).

Sent from my #racecar

I live in the Mobile area. Plus you're an Auburn fan so I'd have to fight you. Jk.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The Feds can still get you in Alabama, and it is their Emissions laws that collect large sums of cash.
There are good gains from just Short Tube Headers, I have both OEM cats and Resonators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Very little. Trying to free up flow pre cats makes no sense.
Start at the most restrictive and work out, exhaust manifolds are a good start and not touching the cats leaves it 50 state legal if you go with any that are CARB approved.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Start at the most restrictive and work out, exhaust manifolds are a good start and not touching the cats leaves it 50 state legal if you go with any that are CARB approved.
Fair enough. My only argument would be that the cats are in fact the most restrictive part, which apparently leaves us at a dilemma here.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fair enough. My only argument would be that the cats are in fact the most restrictive part, which apparently leaves us at a dilemma here.
The Dyno next to us dynoed a 2012 V6 from Stock to off road H and they said there was less than 15 HP at the top end and a general loss up to 4500 RPM.
Not worth it to me to loose both HP and Torque where it needs it and get it where my car very rarely sees. He ended up taking it off and selling it from what they said.
They dynoed it with BBK Shorties and the stock Mid pipe and he had better gains, did not give me the exact numbers but said it was over 25 Foot pounds in some areas but was only 4 or 5 at the top end. But as noted already I do not live my life a quarter mile at a time so the low to mid is what I want.
I have not actually seen any of the dyno sheets and am just going off what the guys said at the dyno shop, so it is still hearsay.
They keep telling me to dyno mine but I wont until I replace the stock drive shaft.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Dyno next to us dynoed a 2012 V6 from Stock to off road H and they said there was less than 15 HP at the top end and a general loss up to 4500 RPM.
Not worth it to me to loose both HP and Torque where it needs it and get it where my car very rarely sees. He ended up taking it off and selling it from what they said.
They dynoed it with BBK Shorties and the stock Mid pipe and he had better gains, did not give me the exact numbers but said it was over 25 Foot pounds in some areas but was only 4 or 5 at the top end. But as noted already I do not live my life a quarter mile at a time so the low to mid is what I want.
I have not actually seen any of the dyno sheets and am just going off what the guys said at the dyno shop, so it is still hearsay.
They keep telling me to dyno mine but I wont until I replace the stock drive shaft.
I am not interested in arguing, i'd just like to make that clear .

I believe what you're saying. However, i also believe that their tune was not up to par, there is physically no way removing the cats can have anything but a positive impact on performance. My guess is the cam timing was not optimized, which allowed the exhaust gases to slow (when volume increases velocity decreases), and the loss in velocity is what caused the loss of torque. Torque is directly proportional to how quickly you can get air into, and out of a motor (think stock turbo cars making blistering torque). So I 100% do believe that they saw a loss in performance in the low end, I just don't think the "why" part is correct.

Of course these statements have tons of assumptions, honestly on both my part as well as yours. I'm sure if we wanted we could dig up some dynos and get to the bottom of it, but i doubt either of us cares enough haha. I imagine you are happy with your car and we are happy with ours
Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Of course these statements have tons of assumptions, honestly on both my part as well as yours. I'm sure if we wanted we could dig up some dynos and get to the bottom of it, but i doubt either of us cares enough haha. I imagine you are happy with your car and we are happy with ours
Now these guys can make a WRX move, they definitely know Subies speaking of Boost.
And you are right Volt
Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So this was shortys with the rest stock exhaust?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So this was shortys with the rest stock exhaust?

Yes, stock manual

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Feds can still get you in Alabama, and it is their Emissions laws that collect large sums of cash.

There are good gains from just Short Tube Headers, I have both OEM cats and Resonators.

The Feds can get you? Never once heard of this. How would this happen? I think half of the trucks in Alabama run straight pipes with zero issue.

Also hard to believe just changing to shortys from stock manifolds would make a significant difference. Are the stock manifolds that restrictive? Is the diameter that much greater for the shortys? Just curious.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Feds can get you? Never once heard of this. How would this happen? I think half of the trucks in Alabama run straight pipes with zero issue.

Also hard to believe just changing to shortys from stock manifolds would make a significant difference. Are the stock manifolds that restrictive? Is the diameter that much greater for the shortys? Just curious.

Emissions laws are federal, inspection laws are local. I havent had a car with cats for like 5 years now and have gotten "legal inspections." All they do is plug the OBD in, see that i have no check engine lights and everything checks out. I would fail a visual inspection, but they dont do that here so i dont worry haha.

As far as shorty headers vs stock, its not just diameter, but a combination of a more efficient shape and design. Most of the gains from exhaust come from their ability to scavenge, and one look at the stock shorties should tell you there's virtually none of that going on.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #32
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Corsa

2014 Deep Impact Blue V6
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Would an O/R h-pipe with stock mufflers and headers be a bad idea? I've heard the O/R X-pipe is pretty loud / raspy.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I'm wanting to know that same thing. I've got my stocks but currently running the or h and headers so I'll send you a clip whenever I hook them up in a couple weeks.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang3.7 View Post
I'm wanting to know that same thing. I've got my stocks but currently running the or h and headers so I'll send you a clip whenever I hook them up in a couple weeks.

That'd be great. Thanks man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust