Driveshaft Issues - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
OK, but what is the speed rating of the base tire? From what I have seen, the 2011 V6 base tire had an "H" speed rating of 130 MPH. Other packages had higher rated tires. 113 MPH seems low for an "H" rated tire.

Since the Performance Package already gets its own special flash, and comes with "Y" rated tires (186 MPH), it is a bit frustrating that they wouldn't raise the speed limiter while they were at it. Unless, there is another reason for the limiter to be set that low...

But, I will be the first to acknowledge that I don't have any inside information as to if Ford set the V6's limiter to 113 MPH because of tire speed ratings or driveshaft limitations. All we can really say is that the GT got a 155 MPH limiter, and it came with better tires and a different driveshaft.

Regardless, it is what it is. For those who want to go faster, the aftermarket is prepared to sell better tires, better driveshafts, and custom tunes to remove the limiter...
You raise a good point. I have always been under the impression that the limiter was based on tires (from something i saw somewhere a long long time ago) but 113 is low for the apparent speed rating of the tires. I would just like to think the rev limiter isnt there to keep the driveshaft from exploding haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The Michelin energy saver tires on any automatic with the 17's are a T rated tire which is a 118 mph limit, so the 113 was likely to ensure the car could get through a 1/4mi but not have anyone right up on the limit of those Michelin's.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
^ That sounds reasonable.

My post was based on tire specs for 2011 base Mustangs that I found online, and the "H" rated tire (non-energy saver) was the only thing I saw listed. It makes sense that Ford would put an energy saver tire on the base autos, since they were being advertised for their fuel economy.

Still, I have to suspect that the limitations of the V6 driveshaft were known to Ford. How (or even if) that figures into their decision to limit all V6 models of the era to 113, I don't know.

I sure wouldn't want that driveshaft behind a Coyote, though...
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would just stick with it u had 4.10 in mine it never broke an I put that 2 piece through its paces, if I was you I'd just get the one piece drive shift with an upper control arm that'd be a nice combo add reliability to your car and better takeoffs

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm going to take the car back to the guy who installed the gears Mon hopefully he can get this solved .I don't believe the problem is with the shaft unless he put it back on wrong as it was was fine before he put the gears in Don't want to spend 700 plus on a shaft .
Gear whine plus the rumble noise at 65 plus has to be the gears
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
The Michelin energy saver tires on any automatic with the 17's are a T rated tire which is a 118 mph limit, so the 113 was likely to ensure the car could get through a 1/4mi but not have anyone right up on the limit of those Michelin's.
From what I've read, Ford tried to use the tire speed rating as a way to avoid admitting they are knowingly using a crap DS. And furthermore, why do they not limit all their vehicles based on tire speed ratings then?

Lets face it, Ford dropped the ball major on our drive shafts. To set a speed limiter to 113 on a Mustang is beyond ridiculous. Camaro V6 does 155 mph. I guess Chevy isn't as "safety conscience" as Ford.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well we just got back from the track this weekend, and i've crunched some numbers.

Valerie has tracked her car with the 3.55s 3 times at the same track. Each day is 4 sessions, and we normally run at least 7, we usually miss one due to weather or just being tired, etc... Its a 20 minute session over a 2.9 mile course and she's turning about 2:30 minute laps. Thats about 8 laps give or take per session, or 56 laps per weekend, and 168 laps total on the 3.55s and stock driveshaft.

Her car will do 125 pretty easily on the front straight, which when calculated back to the 2.73s is the same as doing about 163... So either our driveshaft is going to explode at any second, we got extremely lucky, or they're not quite as bad as we're all thinking...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Well we just got back from the track this weekend, and i've crunched some numbers.

Valerie has tracked her car with the 3.55s 3 times at the same track. Each day is 4 sessions, and we normally run at least 7, we usually miss one due to weather or just being tired, etc... Its a 20 minute session over a 2.9 mile course and she's turning about 2:30 minute laps. Thats about 8 laps give or take per session, or 56 laps per weekend, and 168 laps total on the 3.55s and stock driveshaft.

Her car will do 125 pretty easily on the front straight, which when calculated back to the 2.73s is the same as doing about 163... So either our driveshaft is going to explode at any second, we got extremely lucky, or they're not quite as bad as we're all thinking...
I'm thinking they are not as bad as we think.
I'm running 3.73s and have hit 160kms/h multiple times.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I am leaning towards agreeing with Fast... I'm finding some things that say they can handle the speed but you cant drop your foot off the gas hard, which is what causes the failure. Then I read some stuff that said they tested the 2013+ driveshaft and it held up to nascar standards.

What is boggling is that Ford limits it so low on the a Stang, whether it be V6 or otherwise. Just makes no sense with the competiton being at 155.

This article is an interesting read...

Article
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

I knew I wasn't crazy I do high speed pulls all the time and mine is fine. And I read somewhere that they upgraded the driveshafts on late 13+ models. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

I knew I wasn't crazy I do high speed pulls all the time and mine is fine. And I read somewhere that they upgraded the driveshafts on late 13+ models. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang