Driveshaft Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Driveshaft Issues

After putting in 3.55 ford racing gears in i seem to be getting a slight vibration rumble noise underneath floorboards area at highway speeds 70-80 u can almost hear the driveshaft turning .At around town speed its' fine.The gear guy said the gear install is went good no problems he took it for a test drive not on highway though said gears sounded real good .So i'm leaning toward the terrible ford driveshaft being it's spinning much faster at high speeds ..Any ones else experience this problem at highway speeds ?
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Driveshaft Issues

I'm interested in this...Im looking at upgrading to 3.55 gears and now wondering if I should do the Drive shaft first!

Instagram: @Alpha3.7
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The factory V6 shaft is only marginally balanced and widely believed to be a piece of junk. A one piece shaft should fix the vibration, but you'll prob get more rear end noise (I did).

Dynamat in rear seat and trunk area will help a little.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If i would known this was going to happen i would of never put them in .Was planing on taking it to VA tomorrow don't trust it with the noise it's making
Old 05-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea with the smaller gears i don't think the 2 piece can't handle them did you have the same problem? Im thinking i might just put the 2.73s back in call it a day instead of spending 700 plus of the shaft ..Live and learn i quess
Old 05-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So since you upgraded to 3.55s this is happening? I'm considering a gears upgrade but maybe I should wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Manual? If so it's the dual mass flywheel, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Going from 2.73's to 3.55's will mean that the driveshaft is spinning 30% faster at any given speed. At 70 MPH, the driveshaft is now spinning as fast as it used to spin at 91 miles per hour. Did you ever notice any driveshaft noise or vibration with the old gears at 90-100 MPH?

My car has 3.31's, and the stock driveshaft started vibrating noticeably at 100... enough vibration that it really bothered me. I put an Axle Exchange driveshaft in and everything is smooth.

Keep the gears. Swap the driveshaft. I know it's expensive, but you will love the result.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
Going from 2.73's to 3.55's will mean that the driveshaft is spinning 30% faster at any given speed. At 70 MPH, the driveshaft is now spinning as fast as it used to spin at 91 miles per hour. Did you ever notice any driveshaft noise or vibration with the old gears at 90-100 MPH?

My car has 3.31's, and the stock driveshaft started vibrating noticeably at 100... enough vibration that it really bothered me. I put an Axle Exchange driveshaft in and everything is smooth.

Keep the gears. Swap the driveshaft. I know it's expensive, but you will love the result.

What is the math that you are using to make the gear / speed calculation?

Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Manual? If so it's the dual mass flywheel, I wouldn't worry about it.
My dual mass flywheel only vibrates in a very specific circumstance - when the car is decelerating with the engine between about 2700 - 3000 RPM's. Push in the clutch or accelerate and it immediately stops vibrating. That vibration is very distinctive, too... the shifter is vibrating side to side. The driveshaft vibration coincided with a particular speed of the car, as opposed to a particular engine RPM. It also felt much different, more of a humming or buzzing throughout the car.

Just my experience, though... would be interested to hear other people's experiences.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
What is the math that you are using to make the gear / speed calculation?

3.55 / 2.73 = 1.300, which means that the driveshaft is spinning 30% faster (or 130%, however you prefer to phrase it) at any given speed. Conversely, it also means that for a given driveshaft RPM, the car would be going 30% faster with 2.73's. So, if the driveshaft vibrates at 70 with 3.55's, then 70 x 1.300 = 91 mph for the same driveshaft rpm with 2.73's.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 05-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So 3.73s at 70mph would be spinning 95.6 mph?
At what speed do the 2 piece DS become an issue?

Old 05-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, the driveshaft RPM at 70 MPH w/ 3.73 gears would be equivalent to the driveshaft RPM at 95.6 MPH with 2.73 gears.

But, there isn't any hard and fast rule about where the driveshaft has issues. I stated earlier that mine started vibrating right at 100 MPH, so with 3:31 gears I believe that would correspond to the driveshaft spinning at about 4300 RPM. The speed at which it would fail would probably be considerably higher. Most documented stock driveshaft failures happened after the speed limiter was changed or removed (my car would only go 113 MPH from the factory).
Old 05-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

So that puts you at 115 and the "danger zone" at 85 mpg with 3.73s. That sucks.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My personal belief is that if a person is going to 1) drive fast, 2) add HP or 3) change gears, the driveshaft should be the very first purchase. But, that is just my opinion, and you know what they say about those...

My car is basically stock with the exception of the driveshaft. I drive at *ahem* "enthusiastic" speeds often enough that the vibration was irritating and made me worry about the integrity of the driveshaft. After my first long road trip, I was ready to spend the $700 for a new driveshaft. The peace of mind was worth every penny.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

With the 2.73 i had no problem with the shaft had it up to 95-100 a few times smooth as silk .Before i buy a new shaft i going to talk to guy who install them to open it back up and recheck them .I had a 09 v6 before i bought this and i was very impressed that this was so much quieter and smooth compared to the 09 Thats what i want ...Sorry for the rant but i'm kicking myself now for doing the gear switch just to get to a 95-100 a little faster
Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

One thing you might try is taking the shaft loose from the rear flange and rotating it 90 degrees at a time. Sounds silly, but sometimes there is j-u-s-t enough difference in the various relative positions to make it go out of balance. I'm sure he had the ds unbolted from the flange to make the change, it is possible that it didn't get put back in the same position. It is one of those things that shouldn't make a difference, but sometimes it does...
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
After putting in 3.55 ford racing gears in i seem to be getting a slight vibration rumble noise underneath floorboards area at highway speeds 70-80 u can almost hear the driveshaft turning .At around town speed its' fine.The gear guy said the gear install is went good no problems he took it for a test drive not on highway though said gears sounded real good .So i'm leaning toward the terrible ford driveshaft being it's spinning much faster at high speeds ..Any ones else experience this problem at highway speeds ?
This sounds familiar... The feeling that I don't want to experience again.. Pls don't drive it in a long trip or youll get stuck somewhere, sorry didn't mean to scare you but just looking out for your safety..

Same situation as yours I have to leave in a couple of days for the American muscle show last year, upgraded my gears for 373, to make the story short I had that same vibrations and end up twisting my stock driveshaft driving only as high as 90 mph, I got stuck in the hi way good thing I was close to the shop and was able to tow it back.. Good thing one good member here was able to lend me his stock driveshaft and was all good and was able to see the show.. When I got back I upgraded my driveshaft with an aftermarket one and so far so good.. Knock on wood............

Sent from my SM-G935P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
This sounds familiar... The feeling that I don't want to experience again.. Pls don't drive it in a long trip or youll get stuck somewhere, sorry didn't mean to scare you but just looking out for your safety..

Same situation as yours I have to leave in a couple of days for the American muscle show last year, upgraded my gears for 373, to make the story short I had that same vibrations and end up twisting my stock driveshaft driving only as high as 90 mph, I got stuck in the hi way good thing I was close to the shop and was able to tow it back.. Good thing one good member here was able to lend me his stock driveshaft and was all good and was able to see the show.. When I got back I upgraded my driveshaft with an aftermarket one and so far so good.. Knock on wood............

What year is your car? It sheared at only 90 mph?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
What year is your car? It sheared at only 90 mph?

2013.. Yup..

Old 05-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to take it to Va but i don't trust it so it' sitting in my garage till i get back. I think the gears are bad so i'm seriously thinking about just taking to a dealer putting 2.73s back in and keeping it stock..I know it's going to cost but least it will be done right ..Expensive lesson learned for sure.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. Guess that changes my mod order quite a bit. Not worth the risk.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
I was going to take it to Va but i don't trust it so it' sitting in my garage till i get back. I think the gears are bad so i'm seriously thinking about just taking to a dealer putting 2.73s back in and keeping it stock..I know it's going to cost but least it will be done right ..Expensive lesson learned for sure.

You might as well buy the driveshaft if you're gonna throw the same amount of $ away to return to stock.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
You might as well buy the driveshaft if you're gonna throw the same amount of $ away to return to stock.

This ^ once you have a good driveshaft you'll be able to keep your gears..

Old 05-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

This^
2.73s are just terrible in the 3.7 and suck all the fun factor out of our cars!
Just buy the the one piece and be done with it.
Its probably around the same cost and you get to keep your fun factor and get rid of a piece of junk at the same time.
Even if your car is stock the oem ds is still terrible especially if you have a manual.
The clunk and clanks from that thing is reason enough to get rid of it.
I have 3.73s and there is no way I'd track my car with with my oem ds, its going shorty anyways because of a wonderful pro charger that has my name on it 😁.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Unless your dealer does gears regularly, Is suggest finding a driveline shop to do the work.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Talk to the service mgr he said they have one guy there who just does mostly gear swaps told me they will be done right ..hes booked up to the last week in may so the car sit till then I will be going back to the 2.73s because of the shaft issues with the smaller gears as i put enough money in this car i dont want to invest 700 more for a shaft Ill leave the speed thing for you younger guys lol
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well at least go to 3.31s, that's what the pp came with.
I'd rather sell my car then go back to 2.73s but that's just me.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
There's no reason you should be concerned about lower gears and the driveshaft, especially at reasonable speeds. Sounds like you just have a bad install.

+1 to selling the car before I'd ever put 2.73 back in.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I heard the ds got upgraded in the late 2013s. Maybe I just got a super car but my manual 3.7 was smooth as silk at very "enthusiastic" speeds and is still smooth with the 3:55s. Even though I haven't gone as fast as I did with the 2:73s, I've gone much faster than 100 and I feel absolutely no vibrations. Just my 2cents

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I agree the 2.73s are slow that why i wanted to go with the 3.55s but after going through this i realized this really isn't worth it to me as i don't race it also with the 3.55s your putting that much more stress on the shaft and i'm sure i would be buying a new shaft for it sooner or later. In the mean time my car sit in my garage till the last part of may tiill i can get in the dealership to get it fixed so i'm done with the need for speed thing
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I heard the ds got upgraded in the late 2013s. Maybe I just got a super car but my manual 3.7 was smooth as silk at very "enthusiastic" speeds and is still smooth with the 3:55s. Even though I haven't gone as fast as I did with the 2:73s, I've gone much faster than 100 and I feel absolutely no vibrations. Just my 2cents
I've also read that the DS was changed somehow in 2013, although I haven't seen any definitive evidence (such as different part #'s or side-by-side comparison pics). I don't know exactly what (if anything) was changed, but the stock DS in my 2014 still had the same basic problem: The slip joint is in the middle of the driveshaft, instead of at the end like almost any other driveshaft, including the aftermarket replacements. The fact that Ford still delivered my car with a 113 MPH speed limiter speaks volumes about how much confidence they had in the driveshaft.

I also think that some stock driveshafts are much less prone to vibration than others, due to the tolerance stack-up on the mating parts of the slip joints. The vibration issue is less of a problem with static or dynamic balance, and more of a problem with slop in the slip joint. I won't repost my whole dissertation here, but you can read my thoughts one what is happening in my post which is currently at the end of this thread: Who all still has their stock drive shaft?

So, the guys that got a car with a tighter slip joint will have a driveshaft that should be able to spin up to a much higher speed without vibration, and should be less prone to failure. And I can understand why anyone with a good driveshaft that doesn't vibrate wouldn't want to spend the bucks to replace it, either.

The good thing is that we have had a number of people share their experience with the driveshaft issue. There should be enough information and input here that everyone can evaluate their own car and situation, and make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to replace their driveshaft.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I've also read that the DS was changed somehow in 2013, although I haven't seen any definitive evidence (such as different part #'s or side-by-side comparison pics). I don't know exactly what (if anything) was changed, but the stock DS in my 2014 still had the same basic problem: The slip joint is in the middle of the driveshaft, instead of at the end like almost any other driveshaft, including the aftermarket replacements. The fact that Ford still delivered my car with a 113 MPH speed limiter speaks volumes about how much confidence they had in the driveshaft.

I also think that some stock driveshafts are much less prone to vibration than others, due to the tolerance stack-up on the mating parts of the slip joints. The vibration issue is less of a problem with static or dynamic balance, and more of a problem with slop in the slip joint. I won't repost my whole dissertation here, but you can read my thoughts one what is happening in my post which is currently at the end of this thread: Who all still has their stock drive shaft?

So, the guys that got a car with a tighter slip joint will have a driveshaft that should be able to spin up to a much higher speed without vibration, and should be less prone to failure. And I can understand why anyone with a good driveshaft that doesn't vibrate wouldn't want to spend the bucks to replace it, either.

The good thing is that we have had a number of people share their experience with the driveshaft issue. There should be enough information and input here that everyone can evaluate their own car and situation, and make an informed decision as to whether or not they want to replace their driveshaft.

Yep what he said, I'm 99% sure I'm one of those guys with a good driveshaft. But believe as soon as I notice a vibration at high speeds that'll be the first thing to change.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Factory speed limiters are based on the speed ratings of the tire BTW. And since i doubt each v6 gets it own special flash (save for the PP to compensate for the 3.31) that means everyone gets the same tune as the base base base model v6 with the worst tires.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Factory speed limiters are based on the speed ratings of the tire BTW. And since i doubt each v6 gets it own special flash (save for the PP to compensate for the 3.31) that means everyone gets the same tune as the base base base model v6 with the worst tires.
OK, but what is the speed rating of the base tire? From what I have seen, the 2011 V6 base tire had an "H" speed rating of 130 MPH. Other packages had higher rated tires. 113 MPH seems low for an "H" rated tire.

Since the Performance Package already gets its own special flash, and comes with "Y" rated tires (186 MPH), it is a bit frustrating that they wouldn't raise the speed limiter while they were at it. Unless, there is another reason for the limiter to be set that low...

But, I will be the first to acknowledge that I don't have any inside information as to if Ford set the V6's limiter to 113 MPH because of tire speed ratings or driveshaft limitations. All we can really say is that the GT got a 155 MPH limiter, and it came with better tires and a different driveshaft.

Regardless, it is what it is. For those who want to go faster, the aftermarket is prepared to sell better tires, better driveshafts, and custom tunes to remove the limiter...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang