Who all still has their stock drive shaft? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Who all still has their stock drive shaft?

Who all still has their stock drive shaft? Do you plan on upgrading?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I do and probably not. Don't drive fast enough to need to.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I do and it is on my list of things to do.
2012MCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I do and probably not. Don't drive fast enough to need to.

Any other mods?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I have the stock driveshaft and I won't be changing.

I thought about it for a while but after hearing about how most people (except maybe 2) say they don't feel any difference at all, and most people (except maybe 2) complain of noise. Whether it be from amplified gear noise or clunks.

If I were doing more driving north of 135 I would, but I just don't have a need for it.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
same as vig. stock here, would prefer LESS noise from the shaft. we already get that noise from it being a 2 piece, so whatever.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I do and will not be changing. As others have stated, I don't track my Mustang nor drive fast enough to need it. Also concerned about noise.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Driveshaft upgrades are generally reserved for serious performance. Unless you plan on tracking your car or you just beat the living **** out of it on a daily basis, the stock driveshaft will do.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Driveshaft upgrades are generally reserved for serious performance. Unless you plan on tracking your car or you just beat the living **** out of it on a daily basis, the stock driveshaft will do.
For serious performance, what does that even mean? Most 3.7 enthusiasts get the one piece. It's a good upgrade for people who do gear swaps 3:55 or 3.73 gears and like to travel at higher speeds.

The 3.7 driveshaft and 5.0 driveshaft are different even though they are both two piece. Glad I got my one piece driveshaft!

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I love my one piece i got from AM, great upgrade to have
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheela View Post
I love my one piece i got from AM, great upgrade to have
This guys knows what's up^

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-08-2016, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
For serious performance, what does that even mean? Most 3.7 enthusiasts get the one piece. It's a good upgrade for people who do gear swaps 3:55 or 3.73 gears and like to travel at higher speeds.

The 3.7 driveshaft and 5.0 driveshaft are different even though they are both two piece. Glad I got my one piece driveshaft!

Just a near stock 3.7
The 5.0 has a true 2 piece DS and it's really 2 separate drive shafts with 2 sets of universal joints and a support bearing in the middle. The 3.7 DS just has a joint in the middle so the shaft can change length and the aluminum ones have a joint on the end too. A true one piece DS without that joint would bind up every time you went over a bump. I do agree the stock one is junk however, that middle joint is the pits. I just wish the aluminum ones were not so expensive, similar shafts for other cars are far less.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
The 5.0 has a true 2 piece DS and it's really 2 separate drive shafts with 2 sets of universal joints and a support bearing in the middle. The 3.7 DS just has a joint in the middle so the shaft can change length and the aluminum ones have a joint on the end too. A true one piece DS without that joint would bind up every time you went over a bump. I do agree the stock one is junk however, that middle joint is the pits. I just wish the aluminum ones were not so expensive, similar shafts for other cars are far less.
Look for a used one to save money

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-08-2016, 05:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I still have my factory driveshaft. Its under my house waiting for reinstall, when i sell or trade in my Mustang.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
oem on mine, I've done suspension but till I find a used one near me...meh.

It would have to be a great price I have fun with my car but I prefer zipping down curvy roads more than just going fast in a straight line
Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would think the chances of finding a used one is low.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I was going to trade my car in awhile back and sold my headers and axle exchange driveshaft. Both parts are greatly missed and will be replaced if I decide to start modding again! The noise was minimum with the driveshaft I get more noise from my shifter bracket.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

After i installed my aluminum driveshaft i noticed less noise and vibration. I took my wife for a ride (without telling her what i had noticed) and she noticed less noise and vibration too. Much smoother over all, than the factory driveshaft.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
I would think the chances of finding a used one is low.

I just bought a used Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft for $450 on friday. I also saw a used Axle Exchange one going for around $600 two weeks ago. They are out there, but they are not near as common as a used exhaust would be.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
we have 3.55s and a 27" tire on our 2014 and granted i think Valerie drives like a grandma, we have still tracked the car quite a few times on the stock shaft and no failures yet. We could be knocking on death's door as far as the driveshaft is concerned, but my question is when was the last time someone actually broke one?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
we have 3.55s and a 27" tire on our 2014 and granted i think Valerie drives like a grandma, we have still tracked the car quite a few times on the stock shaft and no failures yet. We could be knocking on death's door as far as the driveshaft is concerned, but my question is when was the last time someone actually broke one?
Excellent question, I believe that the majority of 3.7 enthusiasts who are performance inspired just put on the one piece aluminum driveshaft and don't want to take a chance and find out. These are the 3.7 owners who want to drive their pony far more aggressive than the average V6 owner.

You ask a great question and have no idea. The person who owns a 3.7 that isn't driving 130 MPH with 3:73 gears will be 100% safe with the stock driveshaft. Those people will most likely never see triple digits anyway.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would like to add that I believe some driveshafts are worse than others. The main problem is that the slip joint is at the middle of the DS, as opposed to being located near one end like almost any other DS. When the driveshaft gets to a certain speed, the slip joint stops rotating around the centerline of the driveshaft, and instead the slop allows the slip joint to move slightly off center, and begin to rotate somewhat around the centerline of the DS instead... picture a jump rope, and you will get an idea of what is happening. As the clearance in the slip joint increases, the greater the tendency for the slip joint to transition to the "jump rope" mode, and the greater the vibration. Since there is most certainly a tolerance on both parts of the slip joint, those that are on the tighter end of the tolerance stack-up tend to be less prone to high speed vibration, and those that are on the looser end of the tolerance stack-up are more prone to high speed vibration. Mine must have been a bit looser from the factory, since it started to vibrate well below the speed limiter.

The GT driveshaft is a different design, and not subject to the "jump-rope" problem.

I certainly recognize that it is up to the individual to make the choice about their driveshaft, taking into account their mods and how they drive the car. In my case, the vibration alone was worrisome, and the new DS was worth every penny for my peace of mind and comfort on roadtrips. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary. Your money, your decision...
Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #23

Region: Montana
I just upgraded to the one piece driveshaft, but have had the stock one and running 4.10 gears for a year
Will03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:40 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

You guys with the factory driveshaft, just get a driveshaft safety loop and call it a day I have one with my aluminum driveshaft, just for double safety
Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
You guys with the factory driveshaft, just get a driveshaft safety loop and call it a day I have one with my aluminum driveshaft, just for double safety

So if it pops loose it won't don't much damage with the loop?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's the idea.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
So if it pops loose it won't don't AS much damage with the loop?

fixed that for ya!

it can still do a good bit of damage but hopefully it won't pole vault your car.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep. If the driveshaft snaps, it will keep it safely in the loop
Old 05-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I am still with stock DS. I do consider upgrading to one piece, not much for performance but for smoothness and quiet running. So far I only get mixed opinions regarding the quietness.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I have upgraded muffler bearings on order and plan on doing the one piece driveshaft right after that. Both upgrades promise more noise and no performance gain -- can't wait!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Muffler bearings are on my wish list. My wife told me if i was good for the rest of the year i 'might' get a chrome plated vapor lock for Christmas.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Just a near stock 3.7
Been running 3.73s for 2 years on the stock ds, for a daily the stock one will do just fine even with 3.55s or 3.73s.
The majority of people that have done the one piece complain of excess noise and no performance gain, which I already have lol.
For someone who will see the track with their car I can understand the need to go with a one piece, but for the majority that do not the stock one will do just fine.
I might not be an enthusiast but I do have my fair share of mods.

When I Pro charge that's a different story as my car will be getting its fair share of the track time, not only a one piece but suspension mods and brakes.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang