What's your favorite mod so far? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What's your favorite mod so far?

I don't have many mods so far but I'd say the Steeda CAI and tune are a huge upgrade. I've noticed a significantly better throttle response and a much quicker ride overall. The CAI sounds great as well. Well worth it.

The best simple mod is a new shift knob. Really like the shift knob over the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Mufflers.

Respect the classics.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Upgrades

I also have the Steeda CAI, with a Custom Tune, excellent Upgrade but another Upgrade I got also blew my mind away, Gear Upgrade. Got 4:10 Gears and they are out of this world.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO View Post
I also have the Steeda CAI, with a Custom Tune, excellent Upgrade but another Upgrade I got also blew my mind away, Gear Upgrade. Got 4:10 Gears and they are out of this world.

Considering the gear upgrade next. Just a much quicker acceleration?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Tune was good. Long tube headers were good. Changed gears from 3.31 to 3.73 was good. I could feel a nice jump in performance with each one. All three of these mods were worth every cent, to me anyway
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Toss up between the Short Tubes and the Tuner
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
suspension was the biggest in both scope/cost/improvement.

SR springs/yellow konis/cc plates/etc the amount it improved handling in the twisties was huge. It still does not have much feel but it is way more planted and doesn't have the delayed body toss I disliked when pushing it with the oem setup. By far my fav modi
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My suspension mod is still in the garage next to the car

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My favorite so far is the magnaflow street catback

Tossing up porting the manifolds or an O/R H pipe next.
2012MCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

My new Exhaust!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The Blowfish Racing rear shifter support bracket and driveshaft loop transformed the feel of the stock shifter in my 2013 Boss. Lots of Steeda goodies waiting to be installed!
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
AMERICAN RACING HEADERS 3 IN. PURE THUNDER CATBACK EXHAUST W/ H-PIPE

From our old friends at AM
ch0wd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Borlas, for sure.

I would've said tune, but I've been too timid to try to re-flash the ECU after my car bricked. Still owe my dad money for having to get keys recoded. And I realize that was likely unnecessary, I probably could've unhooked the battery, but I wasn't in town at the time and my parents just took it in
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I love my hood struts! Well worth the $70.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I love my hood struts! Well worth the $70.

I almost forgot I had hood struts

Grabber Blue
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
MGW short throw shifter.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Favorite mod performance wise were the coilovers. I went from driving a tractor to driving a racecar. Night and day difference.

Favorite mod appearance wise were the SHR Quarter Louvers, definitely worth the money.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My favorite mod was the wallet mod from selling my junk 2014.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The tune!!! Cars a lot faster! Nocked half a second of the quarter mile!

Instagram: @Alpha3.7

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
My favorite mod was the wallet mod from selling my junk 2014.

What was wrong with your 2014?

Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymccrary3 View Post
What was wrong with your 2014?

I bought a Ford.

Seriously, it's well documented on here.

Sold my 2014

Post #29 goes over most of the issue I've had.

Some more history on the car - I custom ordered the car, supposedly it was 1 of 1. I was at the dealer when it was driven off the trailer. Car had .7 miles on it when I took ownership of it.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

1. MGW shifter and Blowfish bracket
2. Borla ABs
3. Shelby Kicker stereo upgrade
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

1. MPT Tune
2. Borla Stingers
3. Roush Upper & Lower Grilles
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

For your first few waves of upgrades, here is what I would recommend in this exact order:

1. 4.10 gears + Tuner (favorite mod): You will need to relearn how to drive your car - that's how much of a difference this will make. This is what I purchased which made a world of difference: Mustang 4.10 Gears and BAMA X4 Tuner

2. Lower Control Arms: An absolute must for keeping the rear end from getting squirrelly and losing power during hard driving. Here is what I have and love them: J&M Extreme Joint Mustang Lower Control Arms

3. Mufflers: Regardless of what you choose, a sick exhaust note brings a whole new level of meaning to your car. My personal recommendation: SUPER 44 SERIES FLOWMASTER DELTA FLOW MUFFLERS

4. Wheels + Tires: I love the way 20x10 wheels look on late model Stangs. There are a lot of great options out there. Go with the largest tire that will fit the wheel and still look good. 275s for 9 inch wide wheels; 305s for 10 inch wide wheels. I personally recommend Mickey Thompson tires, as they are the best value. Period.

5. Coil Over Suspension: Lowering your car will likely make the most noticeable visual difference. Late model Stangs sit too high to begin with, especially the S197s, so this becomes a requirement at some point, in my opinion. *NOTE* There are other necessary required parts to lower your car, other than just the coil overs etc. Panhard bar, relocation brackets, caster camber plates are just a few of the things you will need. Here is a good setup for Coil Overs: Eibach Mustang Pro-Street Coil Over Kit

6. Short Shifter: Don't sell yourself short. Buy a MGW shifter and reap the benefits of having the best Mustang shifter on the planet: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

7. Clutch: By the time you get to this mod, you'll have a significantly better performing vehicle versus a stock setup. Being able to put down the power when you intend to, without any hesitation from the car, is key. Deciding on a clutch essentially comes down to how you want to use your car... Here's a good blend of bite and driveability: Exedy Grooved Mach 500 Stage 3 Mustang Clutch

Now after writing this... I just realized you are driving a V6... This list was intended for a GT, as the 5.0 will be able to utilize these mods much better than a 3.7... I honestly would only recommend items #1, #3, #4, and #5 with a V6 setup, as the other mods I would consider overkill. Regarding item #1, I would advise against 4.10s and go with 3.73s as the shortest set of gears. 4.10s are too much for the V6s in my opinion.

*EDIT* I thought you already had a Steeda CAI... I misread that. Just go with a K&N drop in filter - it's all you need, believe me. You can likely pick one up at your local auto parts store or at AM: http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-dro...lter-2010.html

Happy modding - let the fun begin!
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
For your first few waves of upgrades, here is what I would recommend in this exact order:

1. 4.10 gears + Tuner (favorite mod): You will need to relearn how to drive your car - that's how much of a difference this will make. This is what I purchased which made a world of difference: Mustang 4.10 Gears and BAMA X4 Tuner

2. Lower Control Arms: An absolute must for keeping the rear end from getting squirrelly and losing power during hard driving. Here is what I have and love them: J&M Extreme Joint Mustang Lower Control Arms

3. Mufflers: Regardless of what you choose, a sick exhaust note brings a whole new level of meaning to your car. My personal recommendation: SUPER 44 SERIES FLOWMASTER DELTA FLOW MUFFLERS

4. Wheels + Tires: I love the way 20x10 wheels look on late model Stangs. There are a lot of great options out there. Go with the largest tire that will fit the wheel and still look good. 275s for 9 inch wide wheels; 305s for 10 inch wide wheels. I personally recommend Mickey Thompson tires, as they are the best value. Period.

5. Coil Over Suspension: Lowering your car will likely make the most noticeable visual difference. Late model Stangs sit too high to begin with, especially the S197s, so this becomes a requirement at some point, in my opinion. *NOTE* There are other necessary required parts to lower your car, other than just the coil overs etc. Panhard bar, relocation brackets, caster camber plates are just a few of the things you will need. Here is a good setup for Coil Overs: Eibach Mustang Pro-Street Coil Over Kit

6. Short Shifter: Don't sell yourself short. Buy a MGW shifter and reap the benefits of having the best Mustang shifter on the planet: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

7. Clutch: By the time you get to this mod, you'll have a significantly better performing vehicle versus a stock setup. Being able to put down the power when you intend to, without any hesitation from the car, is key. Deciding on a clutch essentially comes down to how you want to use your car... Here's a good blend of bite and driveability: Exedy Grooved Mach 500 Stage 3 Mustang Clutch

Now after writing this... I just realized you are driving a V6... This list was intended for a GT, as the 5.0 will be able to utilize these mods much better than a 3.7... I honestly would only recommend items #1, #3, #4, and #5 with a V6 setup, as the other mods I would consider overkill. Regarding item #1, I would advise against 4.10s and go with 3.73s as the shortest set of gears. 4.10s are too much for the V6s in my opinion.

*EDIT* I thought you already had a Steeda CAI... I misread that. Just go with a K&N drop in filter - it's all you need, believe me. You can likely pick one up at your local auto parts store or at AM: http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-dro...lter-2010.html

Happy modding - let the fun begin!

So you just put in mufflers then?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
So you just put in mufflers then?

If you just want a louder and more aggressive exhaust note, yes, mufflers are all you need. In your entire exhaust system, the mufflers have the greatest effect of producing or muffling sound. Upgrading your headers and mid pipe / cat back will certainly make a difference, but it is by no means necessary to simply achieve a decent exhaust note.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
My first mod has remained my favorite... love my magnaflow axle backs.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Love my GT500 rims, but a random thing I love is my Ruby Red mirror covers, much better than the stock black plastic (BASE model)

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
bwgraham33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
My first mod has remained my favorite... love my magnaflow axle backs.

I've been looking at these. Just have these or headers and mid pipe too?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
I've been looking at these. Just have these or headers and mid pipe too?

Just these for now. Looking at shorties, but after a good 3k miles with the magnaflows I absolutely love the exhaust note. It's not obnoxious loud, I get zero drone, it's a deeper sound and the down revs are the coolest sound ever. Very easy install and nice fit.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Just these for now. Looking at shorties, but after a good 3k miles with the magnaflows I absolutely love the exhaust note. It's not obnoxious loud, I get zero drone, it's a deeper sound and the down revs are the coolest sound ever. Very easy install and nice fit.
You think it is deep now, put the shorties on, will deepen it even more plus the extra torque and HP are not bad either
Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
You think it is deep now, put the shorties on, will deepen it even more plus the extra torque and HP are not bad either
I hear ya, brother... It's more the torque I want, but the sound I think will be a very nice bonus!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Favorite mod? Probably my latest so far. GT500 Magnaflow Street with GT500 rear valance.

2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
Favorite mod? Probably my latest so far. GT500 Magnaflow Street with GT500 rear valance.

Sick wrap dude. Favorite color right there.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is definitely my Borla Stingers so far.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
EasyGo Smart key push to start

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang