Another engine swap thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Another engine swap thread

So I know this topic has been talked about many times before but my situation is a little different. So my friend got into a car accident and totaled his '08 GT. Everything except the radiator is still perfectly fine. So I was thinking about taking everything necessary to make it run from his car and putting it into my '14. I went and talked to a very reputable guy and said between joining the military and given him about 7-8 months to work on it while I'm training he can do it for 3 grand and could take more off if he's able to sell my stock stuff to other people. I'm tempted as hell to do it but what would be a reasonable price for all the parts because he's put a good amount of money into the engine, tranny, and exhaust. And if any of you can think of a reason why it wouldn't work because the guy said he would have no problem to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There is a crazy amount of stuff that you would never account for from the start that would make the price why more than what you are planning....

Set a side that this is a headache of a task and the costs... But why would you want to swap to a 4.6 that has the same HP as you current engine?

Instagram: @Alpha3.7
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Sell the engine and buy a supercharger or turbocharger for your car. You can make more power without building the engine, just won't sound as nice.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
An engine from a GT500, Maybe. From a 08 GT, No.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Buy the engine cheap, resell it at a higher price of possible. Sell your car and buy an 11+ GT, if you have enough equity in it to make it work doing this. Or just buy and sell the engine, install a procharger for your '14 v6.

The computer integrations on these new cars make it extremely hard to do a viable engine swap.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
A 5.0 hell yes. But why swap it just to have equal power? Hell your car actually might be a tad slower after all of that.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015v6beast View Post
But if your paying 3k and offer the guy 1,000, you might as well supercharge your v6 and be done with. My dealer said the roush top charger and tune makes crazy power and keeps your warranty. The guys here think the roush won't fit, but my dealer seems to think otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I'm not trying to come off as rude but just do a quick Google search and you will see that the roush supercharger only fits on the v8. Either your dealer thinks you have a v8 or he's just not informed. The only supercharger that is made for the sixxers is a procharger.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My friends 4.6 has so much done to it he's pushing over 400 to the wheels so it's a lot faster then mine and everything I would need is on the car and the guy doing it would have both vehicles at his disposal. And he said because he'll have enough time to part out my old stuff I could very possibly pay nothing for the swap including ECU, sensors, ignition

Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelendez13 View Post
My friends 4.6 has so much done to it he's pushing over 400 to the wheels so it's a lot faster then mine and everything I would need is on the car and the guy doing it would have both vehicles at his disposal. And he said because he'll have enough time to part out my old stuff I could very possibly pay nothing for the swap including ECU, sensors, ignition

Ok that makes a whole lot more sense, I thought you were swapping because you just wanted to say you have a v8.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Ok that makes a whole lot more sense, I thought you were swapping because you just wanted to say you have a v8.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

There is that also 😎

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Since you can get both vehicles, part the 3v GT out, sell your V6 and buy a 2011+ GT.

It will be faster and easier. Not to mention, coyote's can make decent power and all 4.6's are turds when built NA.

Also, 400+whp from a 3v 4.6 without forced induction, while not impossible, is extremely rare and even then, still a turd.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015v6beast View Post
Why are they turds? My dads 4.6 is wicked fast. He did a cai headers and tune and it's way faster than my 15v6

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I was wondering the same thing cause his is nicely built and probably last longer then mine

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My next question for this topic is when I find some insurance what would I have to classify this as a '14 or an '08

Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
They go by VIN, you have to let them know of the swap if you want any non stock V6 parts to be covered.

Otherwise, you wreck it, and they give you whatever your V6 is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The person doing the swap informed me of an insurance company called Grundy that covers a stated value of your car. They started off as a company for just race cars but now they do daily drivers as well, but I've never heard of them

Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Going into the military. Word of advice, put your real nice 14 V6 in a safe place while you are at training and don't add an engine build to the list of **** you are going to be going through over the next months. Been there done, that have the T-shirt.

What you are doing is 1- a downgrade and 2- just really not very smart with this big of a life change coming up. Also being car poor as an E-1 through E-3 is no fun at all.

Hopefully you are going in Air Force and going in aircrew or Air Traffic Control. If I could do it all over again I'd be a loadmaster or flight engineer no questions asked. Fly all over the world, very often double your paycheck each month and tax free=you'll have the money to buy pretty much whatever. 22 year old dude over at the tanker squadron just bought a Hellcat. And he's kinda stupid for doing that too vs investing the money. Lots of loads I know have basically just invested all of their per-diem money over the course of 10-15 years and are going to be millionaires at their 20 year retirement mark.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It's not really a downgrade with the swap given how much faster and value it's worth then mine as it sits and no I'm doing army intelligence that requires top secret clearance and starting out at an E-3. Also they gave me a nice bonus for signing up for the mos I picked. And they'll have my car during the time that I am training and once I get my first station I'll pick my car up.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Putting a older engine in a newer car doesn't make since to me. I agree with the folks above, if you are getting a bonus, store your car while in basic and intel school, save up a bit and trade it in for a 15 or 16 GT by then you should be able to get a killed deal on one have more HP, IRS, Warranty and nicer interior! But what do us old guys know!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's your money and car. But most of us see this as a big downgrade by swapping in an older non-crate engine. It would just be easier and cost effective to procharge it for the same amount of power
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Doing to much swapping on a 2014 will kill the resale value. Better plan to hold it for some time before you decide to spend that much, which will not add any value to your car. You could also get close to 400 HP with some mods on your own V/6 which probably has less miles on it than the 2008 motor.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
It's not really a downgrade with the swap given how much faster and value it's worth then mine as it sits
It's not worth more than yours.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

My car has 65000 miles on it already the other only has 68000 on it and when I looked up my KBB value it was at about 15 grand my friend got a check from the insurance for $16,500. So only a few thousand miles more and got more out of it. But I probably should just wait to get a 5.0 but I personally hate the 15 and up body styles. They just don't look that good to me, I like the 05-14 ones the most

Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
My car has 65000 miles on it already the other only has 68000 on it and when I looked up my KBB value it was at about 15 grand my friend got a check from the insurance for $16,500. So only a few thousand miles more and got more out of it. But I probably should just wait to get a 5.0 but I personally hate the 15 and up body styles. They just don't look that good to me, I like the 05-14 ones the most

What I meant to say is that your car will not increase in value because you're dropping a 4.6 motor in it. It'll actually hurt it if you were ever going to try and sell it. That's what I meant when I said it's not worth more.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yes agree with the body style, that is why I have a 14, but putting a older engine in yours would be a down grade and would make the value go down in my book. Pro-charge yours or get a nice used 11-14 GT then you are starting at 400 HP!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed, I hate the 15+ body but just get a 14gt.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
First let me ask you how much more you owe on your 14. If you don't owe any money on it then do what you want. If you do owe money on it and do this swap it will worth next to nothing...I can't think of anyone in their right mind (don't mean to be mean, just expressing my opinion) will want to buy a 14 Mustang with an 2008 4.6l motor. If you want to do a swap buy a cheap FoxBody and put the 4.6 in that.
Again, I'm not trying to be mean but this swap just doesn't make a lick of sense!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its a downgrade dude. The Cyclone is a better engine than the 3V. If you want it to be a 400hp car for less money and a much better option just turbocharge what you have. Just because your buddies 3V makes 400hp or whatever.

In most states putting an older motor in a newer vehicle is illegal. You are going to have a ****ton of modifications electronics wise among other things lining up properly. Its going to cost you double what you think.

Like I said, been there, done that, tried to do the whole fast car thing on an E-3 salary and I had a pretty nice bonus too. Its not a good idea. Car poor at that age sucks. I'm sure you're not going to listen, I wouldn't have at that age either but I look back now and I wish I could go back and slap my 19 yr old self in the side of the head and ask wtf I was doing. Advice from a guy with 12+ years in the military now. 25% of your base pay into the Thrift Savings Plan from day 1, invest your entire bonus and don't try to get a crazy nice car right away. You already have a way nicer car than most guys your age are going to have and the 11-14 V6 is no slouch with bolt ons and a tune.

Also you may get stationed overseas somewhere and you may or may not be able to take the car and even if you can, it might not be practical.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
First let me ask you how much more you owe on your 14. If you don't owe any money on it then do what you want. If you do owe money on it and do this swap it will worth next to nothing...I can't think of anyone in their right mind (don't mean to be mean, just expressing my opinion) will want to buy a 14 Mustang with an 2008 4.6l motor. If you want to do a swap buy a cheap FoxBody and put the 4.6 in that.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean but this swap just doesn't make a lick of sense!

I second this if you want this swap just pick up a roller from Craigslist you can find them cheap!!!

Instagram: @Alpha3.7
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang