squeaky clutch pedal out of the blue! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
squeaky clutch pedal out of the blue!

so legit out of nowhere this morning my clutch pedal is creaking. right in that area of play before there's any resistance there's an annoying creak. what could this be? is there something I could just lube up to get it to shut up? ahh! squeaky clutches are my nemesis. my old 01 Frontier squeaked and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mine has just started doing something similar. Its like a squeak/creek sound. Would love to find a simple fix also.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do you guys still have the clutch assist spring? its greased, so you may have just worn the grease off somehow.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Do you guys still have the clutch assist spring? its greased, so you may have just worn the grease off somehow.
yes as far as i know i've never removed it. where is it actually? inside the car somewhere? i've heard of this spring but wasn't sure if it was easily accessible.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I had the squeaky clutch pedal a few years ago. I bought white lithium grease and sprayed it up all over where everything connects for a few days in a row and pumped the pedal about 300 times. That fixed it.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
yes as far as i know i've never removed it. where is it actually? inside the car somewhere? i've heard of this spring but wasn't sure if it was easily accessible.
Look at the pedal against the firewall. Cant miss it.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

cool, thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check it out this weekend.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

after reading up on the new steeda spring and talking to a few members, i've actually decided to buy that one and swap it out. seems like it'll help with how it feels too!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Keep in mind the spring in the 3.7 is much lighter than the GT spring. Id be surprised if it is lighter than the OEM spring in the 3.7 clutch, for us the 35 lb/in spring they offer for the 15+ cars would be a better match. Unfortunately Steeda claims the 15+ and 11-14 springs are not compatible.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

so did I just waste 18 dollars?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Just send it back and leave the spring off.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yes. Just send it back and leave the spring off.
For me, without the spring ID get a little sinking overnight in the clutch (about 1/4") so I put the spring back in to keep the pedal up.

But the spring is very light in the 3.7, I could compress it enough by hand to remove or reinstall.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

then i read stories of people saying it's not good to run at no spring, because that could potentially have the slave cylinder fail and whatnot. eh whatever, for 17 bucks shipped, i'll give it a whirl. i honestly didn't know there was a difference between the GT clutch spring and the V6 clutch spring.....which i don't understand why because i was under the assumption it's the exact same clutch?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The gts have a heavier clutch, so Ford put a bigger spring in to make it easier.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

oh wow. I always thought it was the same clutch. maybe I was just thinking transmission. oh well, I wrote to steeda to ask them, bc i mean they claim this benefits the v6 and the v8 so i wanna see their response.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

so i can barely fit under the car lol but i got in there to see, and the spring inside looks NOTHING like the GT spring. it's thin and only looks like 4 coils, compared to the thick GT one and the steeda one being like 5 coils.

before i even do anything, is this worth it? or should i just send it back? i wrote to steeda and they never responded, but they claim this is for the v6 too. but what's the point in putting it in the v6 if the stock spring is already rated lighter than the steeda one??

*edit* ok yeah, it's 100% impossible for me to get under there. i can't even get vice grips to compress these springs. unlike the GT, there's only 4 coils on this that are much thinner than the 5 coil ones on the GT, so i can't even get the vice grips to compress 2 of the middle pieces. let alone, i can barely fit and see under there. on top of it, after reading here and elsewhere, despite the fact steeda is advertising this for all mustangs, it seems clear they're only really appealing to the 5.0, making this a waste of money for the 3.7. going to try to get my money back on this one.

oh and on top of it, now it sounds like something under the hood area is creaking when i press my clutch. so not only is it just the inside pedal squeaking now, something under the hood is creaky as hell and i can definitely hear it in my garage now. greaaaaaaat. reminds me of my 2001 frontier which had the creakiest, most horrible sounding clutch ever. awesome. cars only 2 years old and already creaks like my old 10+ year old frontier which had almost 200k miles.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was able to compress and pop the spring out by hand. There's no way the steeda spring is lighter than the stocker.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

but that's the thing... isn't the whole point of this spring to get a lighter one compared to the heavy one? so if the steeda isn't lighter, i'm not going to bother. also I can't compress it by hand and take it out. I can't even successfully get vice grips to compress it. I can barely fit under there so maybe that's why

Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
You are high maintenance buddy 😉
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

ok so update....here's a video of how bad/annoying it's gotten:

makes me wanna hang myself!

so i shot up there with white lithium grease when i changed to the steeda spring (which is a waste of money bc it does absolutely NOTHING!) and nothing happened. still sounds like ***.

anyone have any other ideas? this is seriously getting me so annoyed.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That would drive me absolutely nuts!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

lmao believe me, it does. this is a 2 year old car and it already squeaks like a 15year old truck.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
more grease....
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
lmao believe me, it does. this is a 2 year old car and it already squeaks like a 15year old truck.
My 25 year old truck doesn't sound like that!

More grease...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

grease where though, that's the problem. I can barely get my *** down there to even see this bc there's no room. I have no idea where to put it.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Try to lubricate the pivot points of the clutch pedal assembly.
If you have a small mirror handy, you can use it, along with a light, to look up under the dashboard and see what parts may need to be lubricated.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I also have a noise coming from the clutch pedal, when I start the car every time and as soon as i leave and go around 1,800 rpms it will clunk. Happens one time only and that's when I first drive it. Wonder what that could be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang