Fuel Tank Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Fuel Tank Question

So now that I have had my Mustang for a couple months I have noticed a pattern.

Our manuals state that our V6 Mustangs have a fuel tank capacity of 16 gallons. I've read multiple threads about how the MPG from the cars computer are usually off by about 2 or 3. If I take my mileage and divide by 16 then the MPG are correct with what my car is reading BUT when my car tells me I have 2 miles till empty and I fill up my car it ALWAYS only takes 14.4 gallons to fill it up no matter what techniques I use. When I divide my mileage by around that 14.4 I get 2 or 3 MPG higher than what the computer is telling me.

So my questions are:
Did Ford lie to us and this tank only holds 14.4 while they advertise 16 or does the car simply tell us we are running out of gas when in reality we have about 2 gallons left so that people don't get stranded on the side of the road and fill up sooner that they need to?

Or is just my Mustang messed up? haha
parkerbickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's an iffy question. A lot of variables. Your computer calibration could be off or your gauge could be the slightest bit off. Apples to oranges but I have the 2015 T150 transit van with ecoboost. I've driven 15 miles past the '0 miles to empty' warning on the display. Another guy I was taking to has the same van. He ran out of gas about the thickness of the needle ABOVE the redline. I wish I could help you but that's the best I can offer. Good luck with it tho

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
That is why you don't try to use what you think is in the tank or how much it holds. That really doesn't matter.
Fill tank, record odometer reading, fill tank again and divide the number of miles traveled between fills by the number of gallons it took to refill it.
Example: traveled 300 miles and took 12 gallons = 300 miles divided by 12 gal = 25 mpg.
To reduce possible error due to potential difference in refill levels, track miles and gallons used for a number of refills. Only the first and the last gas fill need to be full fill ups.

EDIT: They can't tell you exactly when it's going to run out as that is not an exact point. Slight gauge discrepancy, sloshing of the gas, angle of the car, etc.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Supporter

Region: Texas
I have a 2 gallon portable gas tank in the back of my car.... Hasn't been used, yet. I keep $20 in the manual too in case I forget my wallet.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've never been one to test it (though I got really close tonight lol) was just some pondering. As I said Ford states it's a 16 Gallon but tonight I pulled into the gas station with 2 miles left till empty and it only filled to 14.7 until it was full.

I know my brothers Chevy Silverado 2500HD can go about 20-30 miles past when it tells him he has 0 left.

Someday I might have to load a 2 gallon canister in the truck and test out when it dies on me, assuming the Mustang isnt one of those cars where after it runs out of gas you have to wait 30 minutes before it can start again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel Tank Question

Unless you need the lack of weight due to an empty tank it really not good to get real low. It's the fuel in the tank that keeps the pump cool

stang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
two words: split tank.

with the split tank there are 1-2 gallons per side that don't get used in the real world. I tend to get 1-2 mpg more using math than what the car tells me. The math is a more accurate measure. Yes they do try and scare (or caution depending on how you want to read it) folks into filling up early. I normally fill when it hits 50 miles remaining so as not to have to look at the light and info center msgs.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A few years ago someone ran their Mustang out of gas until the engine died. I can't remember exactly the numbers but it was something like 50 miles more after the display said 0 miles to empty.

Members of the Forum told him "he was going to burn up his fuel pump" because the gas keeps it cool.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe that 1.5 gallons doesn't empty so the fuel pump won't burn out. Usually I fill it up with 5-10 miles left but last night my girlfriend wanted to take a surprise trip to Wendy's I didn't plan for so that's why it got so close.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You won't burn it out over night. The same way you don't burn through brakes in a day. The life of the fuel pump does get shorter, as with anything else that is improperly cooled.

I use an app called Gas Manager just to see where I'm at, mainly to see the amount of money it burns though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
I use an app called Gas Manager just to see where I'm at, mainly to see the amount of money it burns though.
An app is a good idea... I use Fuelly to do the same thing. Nice to be able to see gas mileage per tank, per year, or overall.

This is the link to my Mustang on Fuelly: Dave (Ford Mustang) | Fuelly
Old 05-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
two words: split tank.

with the split tank there are 1-2 gallons per side that don't get used in the real world.
Wow, I didn't know that about the tank. That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info!
CyberCarnage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Maybe that 1.5 gallons doesn't empty so the fuel pump won't burn out. Usually I fill it up with 5-10 miles left but last night my girlfriend wanted to take a surprise trip to Wendy's I didn't plan for so that's why it got so close.

I believe the pump sits in a "bucket" in the bottom of the tank so it stays immersed as long as possible.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCarnage12 View Post
Wow, I didn't know that about the tank. That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info!
And there are 2 fuel pumps, not just one, the lift pump just puts it on the other side. My IRS 93 Thunderbird had a hose that ran under the drive shaft to do the same thing
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
My IRS 93 Thunderbird had a hose that ran under the drive shaft to do the same thing
What could possibly go wrong with that? 😨
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
What could possibly go wrong with that? 😨
As long as the universals were good nothing, it also had a factory drive shaft loop
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
A few years ago someone ran their Mustang out of gas until the engine died. I can't remember exactly the numbers but it was something like 50 miles more after the display said 0 miles to empty.

Members of the Forum told him "he was going to burn up his fuel pump" because the gas keeps it cool.
This. It's my understanding that most car companies set it so you think you have only 5 miles left to empty while in reality you have a couple gallons left. I believe it is so morons don't end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
been there, done that (more than once)
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine has about 1-2 gallons left when at zero.

Here's a link to mine on Fuelly. What's interesting is how consistent the V6s are in MPG.

Speedy Frog (Ford Mustang) | Fuelly

Los Angeles commuting with a manual. Wouldn't have it any other way The best econobox destroyer out there. Fast, great features, and stable like no Corolla or Civic at higher speeds. And 25mpg combined.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
This. It's my understanding that most car companies set it so you think you have only 5 miles left to empty while in reality you have a couple gallons left. I believe it is so morons don't end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Either that or it's to get morons stuck past the middle of nowhere.

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Mine has about 1-2 gallons left when at zero.

What's interesting is how consistent the V6s are in MPG.
Los Angeles commuting with a manual. Wouldn't have it any other way The best econobox destroyer out there. Fast, great features, and stable like no Corolla or Civic at higher speeds. And 25mpg combined.
Wish I could get that good of mpg on mine. I can get about 28 on the highway if I try but with all my aggressive city driving I stay at about 18-19mpg average on mine
CyberCarnage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The trick I found was to drive it in city traffic like an old (non-diesel) Mercedes. That is, start in first, gently get it to second, and then to third in about 5-6 seconds. THEN hit the gas once it's in third and let it take off. You should end up going exactly the speed of the rest of traffic until you hit 25 or so and then you launch ahead. Keeping it in third al the time for city driving hardly makes a difference, IME, for MPG.

The thing sucks down gas like there's no tomorrow if you hit it hard in first or second. And let it warm up in the morning a bit by driving it gently as well. It takes about 2-3 miles for it to get to operating speed and for the startup mode ( it runs rich ike the choke is on ) to disengage.

Also, drive like a truck driver. Maintain your speed and shift as few times as possible. Don't care about maintaining a fixed distance to the car ahead. Use the brakes to shave off speed as is reasonable and never jam them to a last minute stop ( ie - try to use your gears and momentum as efficiently as possible as you KNOW you can launch into that gap if you have to ). 20-22mpg city is easy to do with a little bit of care. Add in some 26-30 highway and you've got 25 combined.

I did notice that 91 octane fuel does also lower the spread as the car is adjusting compression less and having a bit mre power. That is, I saw a 4-6mpg swing between my worst and best driving with 87 and a 2-3mpg swing with premium. And a 1mpg overall increase. The price where it makes sense to always use premium was calculated out to be about $2.30 a gallon or more. Which is all the time in California
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCarnage12 View Post
Wish I could get that good of mpg on mine. I can get about 28 on the highway if I try but with all my aggressive city driving I stay at about 18-19mpg average on mine
Thats not as bad as you think, esp since your driving hard. My wifes infiniti v6 285hp and she gets 15 in the city driving normal.

Heck I had a 4 banger kizashi for a few years and it only got 19 in the city... But I drive aggressive too. Lol
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang