Tune question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Elizabethtown
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 108
Tune question

I'm posting here so I get response from folks with V6.

I have MPT Ghost Cam tune for awhile. In the last couple months I've added shorties, 80mm throttle body, and ported manifold intake(upper and lower).

Each time I added a part I asked if I needed to update tune and told no. AM updated their tune and I can really feel the difference. Am I wrong to think the last 3 mods should require update to MPT Tune? Appreciate any advice.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Catonsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 690
Shorties not really, TB probably not but the Ported IM's should have resulted in a tune update from MPT.
__________________
2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
TRMN8ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Region: California
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by raykrieg View Post
I'm posting here so I get response from folks with V6.

I have MPT Ghost Cam tune for awhile. In the last couple months I've added shorties, 80mm throttle body, and ported manifold intake(upper and lower).

Each time I added a part I asked if I needed to update tune and told no. AM updated their tune and I can really feel the difference. Am I wrong to think the last 3 mods should require update to MPT Tune? Appreciate any advice.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bottom line is, all three of those mods allow more air into your engine. With more air, more fuel must be burned. I would say you absolutely should have been retuned...
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
PaPa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Rocky Point
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 224
Mpt updated my tunes when I went from 68mm Tb. To an 80mm. Just an FYI.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Elizabethtown
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 108
MPT response was "Usually ported manifolds do not change airflow enough to require a tune change on our end"

Your thinking is what I thought as well.

On a positive note--AM tune is very smooth and probably the best I've had. With the ported intakes you can really feel the difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 572
80mm TB requires new tune.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Bottom line is, all three of those mods allow more air into your engine. With more air, more fuel must be burned. I would say you absolutely should have been retuned...
The air is still being read by a the maf. Strictly changes in air flow do not require a retune, the purpose of a maf is to account of different quantities of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Mpt updated my tunes when I went from 68mm Tb. To an 80mm. Just an FYI.
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yes, they should do some manner of load scaling to compensate for the larger throttle body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykrieg View Post
MPT response was "Usually ported manifolds do not change airflow enough to require a tune change on our end"

Your thinking is what I thought as well.

On a positive note--AM tune is very smooth and probably the best I've had. With the ported intakes you can really feel the difference.
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Again, if its not a super huge change in airflow its not an issue. Maybe the cam timing could be adjusted 1 or 2 degrees, but its not going to be a huge difference either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
80mm TB requires new tune.
Yup. I imagine the car will drive just fine without one, but i would imagine the throttle being twitchy as well.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Elizabethtown
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 108
Today I received an email that stated "Not sure how you interpreted my previous email in that manner. I said “usually” they do not require any changes, and sent you a link to datalogging instructions. If you record a log, and it shows adjustments are needed, we can update your tune. Simple as that."

I like MPT just frustrated now.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 572
I was thinking that MPT would like to see how your engine is running. I've always had a good experience with this company.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Elizabethtown
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 108
Me too; that's the frustrating part


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hybrid tune vs. race tune 13 stang22 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 37 03-30-2013 09:38 PM
to tune or not to tune.... rebeltx 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 24 01-02-2013 11:46 AM
Bama tune or lund tune or steeda tune Mustang32Bill 2011-2014 Mustang GT 89 11-12-2012 11:45 AM
Question on installing Bama tune if previous tune already loaded on car ljn21 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 08-01-2012 11:08 AM
To tune or not to tune? grossnickle6612 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 10 08-24-2011 10:27 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:04 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.