What are the must have mods for a 2014 Mustang V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What are the must have mods for a 2014 Mustang V6?

I have had my 'stang for about two years now, and I love her so. It's pretty much a bare bones stock 2.73 gear Mustang V6 (2014) that has served me well. I am finally thinking about some mods for this bad girl. Here's what I'm thinking...

3.55 Gears
Lower Control Arms
Cold Air Intake
Tune
Zinc Coated Rotors
Aluminum DriveShaft
Ambient Lighting Kit

Wha... that's like upwards of 2 Grand right there, and I'm not even including installation. Please let me know what the must haves are or should I just continue driving that stock 'stang like a boss?

Let me know, fellas

EDIT: It's an automatic
Joh113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
A 2 cylinder upgrade. I kid I kid! Not sure what a must have upgrade is. That's going to be up to you and how you plan on driving your stang. I hear gears will wake up your car but I also hear a lot of complaints about noise after installation.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
No exhaust? I got the magna flow mufflers and they sound amazing. Most would agree that a cold air intake is useless as you have one on the car already. And the lower control arms would make minimal difference on a stock car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

^ Well the Lower Control Arms are for the 3.55 gears
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
As far as must have mods go, here's what I would recommend for your V6, in this exact order:

1. Air Filter - All you need is a K&N drop in air filter. The other aftermarket cold air intakes will only yield marginal results, unless you are making big power; power you will not achieve with your V6. http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-dro...lter-2010.html

2. 3.73 gears + tune - This will make the biggest difference of all mods... other than forced induction. Mustang 3.73 Gears and BAMA X4 Tuner

3. Mufflers - I recommend Borla or Flowmaster street mufflers.

4. Wheels + Tires - AM has a great selection of wheels and tires. I recommend Mickey Thomson tires.

5. Coil Over Suspension - This will drastically change the appearance of your car, if you are looking for a more aggressive look. You'll also need some necessary additional parts to assist with the alignment of your car if you go this route. http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach...over-1112.html

Depending on how hard you drive, you may want some Lower Control Arms. I don't think they are really necessary for a V6, but that's your call to make, as you can determine if your rear end is moving around on you or not. http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-p...ling-arms.html

Of course you can throw on some cosmetic mods, but I'm not going to tell you what looks good from an aesthetic point of view... that's another call for you to make.

This list here will help transform your ride into a head turner... with the power to back up the looks - at least for a V6.

Best of luck, and happy modding!
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Supporter

Region: Texas
My IF V6 list:
Coil overs
Pads/Rotors, DOT4 fluid SS brake lines
SS clutch line/ DOT4 fluid
LCA and UCA (with relo brackets and CC plates)
Adjustable panhard bar Front LCA brace with trans cooler
Front and Rear chassis brace
Front and rear sway bar (maybe Watts Link....)
Sub frame connectors (weld in)
K&N Drop in filter
shorty headers (ceramic coated)
Wheels and tires (SVE 19x9.5 (MT or Nitto 555 275/35/19)
Alum. Driveeshaft
MGW (if manual car)
Driveshaft loop
3.73 rear end
Turbo kit if wallet/wife lets you....

Iv'e been called over the top before but the way I look at it is that if the car is in the air you might as well do as much as you can. Just don't have any left over bolts when your done.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just don't have any left over bolts when your done.
LOL
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

btw It's an Automatic...
Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What benifits does the k&n dropn in filter have that makes it worth upgrading over the stock air filter?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
What benifits does the k&n dropn in filter have that makes it worth upgrading over the stock air filter?
Better air flow. The K&N is less restrictive.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^ Will the Lower Control Arms be required if I do a gear change? I've heard that you need it if change change gears.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Better air flow. The K&N is less restrictive.
The k&n is junk IMO. If you're spending the money on an air filter go with the afe, more surface area and dry flow so no oil to get on the maf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh113 View Post
^ Will the Lower Control Arms be required if I do a gear change? I've heard that you need it if change change gears.
Required? No, but it definitely helps to solidify the rear end and improve traction. I can't say enough good things about the bmr tca032 lcas. $90 and shave 5lbs off the lcas from stock.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would strongly recommend getting aftermarket LCA's if you plan on getting 3:73 gears along with a performance tune of course. You will find yourself getting wheel hop if not when you decide to nail it from a dead stop.

Some on here may disagree about needing LCA's because it's a V6 but I say poppycock. The amount of engine cylinders is irrelevant in this particular case. My 3.7 has 3:73 gears and purchased aftermarket LCA's because of wheel hop issues when nailing it from a dead stop.

Perhaps my crappy 300 rwhp has something to do with the wheel hop but none the less glad I did LCA's. Their not much money.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

According to Ford Performance, who helped K&N design the filter (same one used for the 5.0 BTW), a 7HP gain is expected over stock. Some like to trash K&N because a few people have over oiled their filter and gunked up the intake and MAF sensor. I've used oiled filters for 2 years and have no oil in my intake or MAF. You definitely need an Oil Catch Can, an Aluminum D/S and better gears, I'm going with FRPP 3.55's and a Torsen Differential as well as LCA's. A Tuner provides the biggest boost in performance, I use Steeda tunes, a lot of folks use Bama or Lund, MPT is considered the best by a lot of modders. What are you planning for? Just daily driver or street & strip?
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If you're spending the money on an air filter go with the afe, more surface area and dry flow so no oil to get on the maf.

+1

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How does that bad boy feel with 3.73? Also, is yours an auto or manual?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Be careful not to sacrifice filtration for the sake of a few ponies. Check specs on filters.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How does that bad boy feel with 3.73? Also, is yours an auto or manual?
Mine is an automatic and its a different pony with the 3:73 gears compared when I had 2:73 gears. The off line down low pull is far better. It really helps for the lack of torque the 3.7 has. You will not regret 3:73 gears at least with an automatic. I can't speak for manuals about this.

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well if you care about warranty (assuming you have one) then, in my opinion, a good start would be:

Coilovers
Panhard bar
Exhaust (ABs) - (Borla S-Types get my vote here)

That alone will bring you to around $2-$2.2k for parts at the most, assuming you don't get racing coilovers.

The coilovers will get rid of that 4x4 look and your handling will be a night and day difference and the exhaust will make it sound more like a muscle car and less like a minivan.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #20
Supporter

I'll agree that the K&N is oily from the factory. May take apart my throttle body this weekend to clean it up and get a few pics if I have time.

If you have a warranty still then I would wait. Allows you to save some spare cash up for parts. I got the K&N because I don't like open filters so the simple fact hat it's enclosed is a plus for me. It's only over oiled once which can be fixed pretty easily. It's pricey but the warranty is pretty good.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Well if you care about warranty (assuming you have one) then, in my opinion, a good start would be:

Coilovers
Panhard bar
Exhaust (ABs) - (Borla S-Types get my vote here)

That alone will bring you to around $2-$2.2k for parts at the most, assuming you don't get racing coilovers.

The coilovers will get rid of that 4x4 look and your handling will be a night and day difference and the exhaust will make it sound more like a muscle car and less like a minivan.
I would agree with that if someone is that concerned about possible warranty claims. If one is like me and the vast majority on here, we don't give a rats hoot that much about the factory warranty and we mod away. I've been tuned since 5k miles on her. Ba ha ha ha

Just a near stock 3.7
Old 05-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

Get a Bama tune.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
I'll agree that the K&N is oily from the factory. May take apart my throttle body this weekend to clean it up and get a few pics if I have time.

If you have a warranty still then I would wait. Allows you to save some spare cash up for parts. I got the K&N because I don't like open filters so the simple fact hat it's enclosed is a plus for me. It's only over oiled once which can be fixed pretty easily. It's pricey but the warranty is pretty good.
The K&N is actually approved by Ford, so no warranty issues because of that, well, that is as long as its oiled. Warranty could be jeopardized with an un-oiled filter. Other mods, in order to affect warranty, has to be the cause of the issue to be a problem. As long as everything is bolt-on you're OK. Now you may have to try a different dealer, some are more open to modification than others, but Ford's own directive to tech's say as long as mods, including tune, are not the cause it's still covered under warranty.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would agree with that if someone is that concerned about possible warranty claims. If one is like me and the vast majority on here, we don't give a rats hoot that much about the factory warranty and we mod away. I've been tuned since 5k miles on her. Ba ha ha ha

Just a near stock 3.7
If my mustang wasn't my DD I would have kissed that warranty goodbye a long time ago, but alas it is my DD and I have 3 years left on my warranty and 2 years left on the loan (0% APR ). Once the warranty is up, or I feel like I'm in a good financial position to purchase a new DD, it's going to be 100% go-fast parts on my shopping list.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #25
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
The K&N is actually approved by Ford, so no warranty issues because of that, well, that is as long as its oiled. Warranty could be jeopardized with an un-oiled filter. Other mods, in order to affect warranty, has to be the cause of the issue to be a problem. As long as everything is bolt-on you're OK. Now you may have to try a different dealer, some are more open to modification than others, but Ford's own directive to tech's say as long as mods, including tune, are not the cause it's still covered under warranty.

I'm know that it's approved by Ford but, it is over oiled from the factory or at least mine was. When I pulled mine out of the box it was dang near dripping. I had to blow some off with the air compressor.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I just laid mine on a stack of paper towels
Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I much prefer the dry media of aem (k&n owned) and afe.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My 2013 Performance Pack equipped Mustang came with GT500 LCA's and it still wheel hopped like crazy. UPR's Double Adjustable Upper Control Arm is what fixed the problem.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
I'm know that it's approved by Ford but, it is over oiled from the factory or at least mine was. When I pulled mine out of the box it was dang near dripping. I had to blow some off with the air compressor.

Just a suggestion. Never use compressed air on air filter media. Very easy to ruin a perfectly good filter. Most if not all manufactures will say stay away from compressed air on air filter media
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Just a suggestion. Never use compressed air on air filter media. Very easy to ruin a perfectly good filter. Most if not all manufactures will say stay away from compressed air on air filter media
Or use common sense when using it.
On second thought, if in doubt, don't use it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Almost everything you see or hear about is basically snake oil or results in minor gains. It makes you feel great, but it doesn't really add a lot to the car itself. Here is what you need to focus on with the 3.7:

1: (if you have manual) - fixing the shifter. Many ways to do this. Get control back and stop getting locked out of shifts. This has to be top on your list.

2: Gears.

3: Tires. The car is set up with 18" rims in mind. Get a set of take-offs from a new 16. You should be nearly ready for tires at this point, anyways. The stock energy-saving low rolling resistance tires that came on the 3.7s are also junk when it comes to handling.

4: Suspension. When I see someone in a Corolla pull away from me on a mountain road, you know that the car isn't designed for turns. It does the job adequately enough, but suspension and tires are what keeps you from flying off the road.

Basically, better power delivery, tires, and suspension. There's no point in adding power if you can't control it and you're all over the road.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
Almost everything you see or hear about is basically snake oil or results in minor gains. It makes you feel great, but it doesn't really add a lot to the car itself. Here is what you need to focus on with the 3.7:

1: (if you have manual) - fixing the shifter. Many ways to do this. Get control back and stop getting locked out of shifts. This has to be top on your list.

2: Gears.

3: Tires. The car is set up with 18" rims in mind. Get a set of take-offs from a new 16. You should be nearly ready for tires at this point, anyways. The stock energy-saving low rolling resistance tires that came on the 3.7s are also junk when it comes to handling.

4: Suspension. When I see someone in a Corolla pull away from me on a mountain road, you know that the car isn't designed for turns. It does the job adequately enough, but suspension and tires are what keeps you from flying off the road.

Basically, better power delivery, tires, and suspension. There's no point in adding power if you can't control it and you're all over the road.
You didn't mention tuners. Tuners are snake oil?
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Cosmetic mods I love are the MMD painted hood scoop and the Foose rear lower valance (makes the back end look so much better).

Performance mods, well a SCT tune with or without a custom tune is pretty much essential. This will make the biggest impact. Then axle backs (sound) and shorties (sound and power).

Side note: If you have an automatic I would drop the pan and replace the filter and add Royal Purple ATF, but that's not really a "mod". Mine shifts so much quieter and cleaner now and I had a considerable amount of break-in sludge on my magnet.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Coyote engine 😛

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Tuning your engine is a minor thing compared to handling and gears, especially on the 3.7.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2014 mustang