Does this look like Heat Damage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Question Does this look like Heat Damage?

Anyone else having problems with their 500 Shaker System? Specifically the screen for the radio.

This looks like heat damage on the inside. I thought maybe when I took it to a carwash they sprayed something that dripped onto the screen and dried. But after pulling the entire radio out. no way could that be from a quick spray wash.

Not sure on whether to replace the stock radio or put in this, which I saw on the net....

iDatalink MaestroRR and MUS1 along with a Kenwood iDatalink ...

How to remove stereo 2011-2014 Mustang - Ask.com YouTube Search

Thoughts from any of you will be greatly appreciated......
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I don't see any photo of yours to know exactly what you mean but my 2014 base stereo display screen was deteriorating..like a coating was peeling off and looked splotchy. I had it replaced under warranty last month.. A surprise to my service advisor that Ford approved it because she said most are denied and blamed on owner using a harsh chemical to clean the screen.
I never used anything to wipe mine and think it is temperature related....cold...I'm in North NH and during this Winter, it gradually went from perfect to really bad looking.
I have seen replacement base screens new on eBay for less than $40 also if that's what you're referring to and can't get Ford to take responsibility.
If you end up putting in something different, please post your results and "how to" with pics for us to consider doing also
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I don't see any photo of yours to know exactly what you mean but my 2014 base stereo display screen was deteriorating..like a coating was peeling off and looked splotchy. I had it replaced under warranty last month.. A surprise to my service advisor that Ford approved it because she said most are denied and blamed on owner using a harsh chemical to clean the screen.
I never used anything to wipe mine and think it is temperature related....cold...I'm in North NH and during this Winter, it gradually went from perfect to really bad looking.
I have seen replacement base screens new on eBay for less than $40 also if that's what you're referring to and can't get Ford to take responsibility.
If you end up putting in something different, please post your results and "how to" with pics for us to consider doing also
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately I have a little over 12, 000 miles but my warranty ran out back in July of 2015. Not temperature related as cold. My car was in my heated garage and has been during each winter. It showed up about mid March.

Thanks for your response.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately I have a little over 12, 000 miles but my warranty ran out back in July of 2015. Not temperature related as cold. My car was in my heated garage and has been during each winter. It showed up about mid March.

Thanks for your response.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos....****, I knew I was forgetting something.

[IMG]C:\Mustang Photos\101MSDCF\DSC00302.JPG[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Mustang Photos\101MSDCF\DSC00303.JPG[/IMG]
Old 05-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I think it's just lousy quality tint from the factory. Mine's starting to show some crazing, but not bad enough to warrant replacing yet.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Is this what yours is doing?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos....****, I knew I was forgetting something.

[IMG]C:\Mustang Photos\101MSDCF\DSC00302.JPG[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Mustang Photos\101MSDCF\DSC00303.JPG[/IMG]
Your pics aren't working but I'm curious on tis topic so I hope you post some pics!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post

Jesus, that's bad.

Had an 11 with 60k miles and besides minor scratches, nothing like that ever happened. Always parked outside until around 50k, just used a sun shield and had dark *** tint.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Jesus, that's bad.

Had an 11 with 60k miles and besides minor scratches, nothing like that ever happened. Always parked outside until around 50k, just used a sun shield and had dark *** tint.
That picture was taken when the car was less than 18 months old and had less than 15,000 miles..

I had to fight with Ford over getting it replaced.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That picture was taken when the car was less than 18 months old and had less than 15,000 miles..

I had to fight with Ford over getting it replaced.
That was from heat alone?? Dang, I'd be fuming.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
That was from heat alone?? Dang, I'd be fuming.
It was not from heat damage on my car, it's simply Ford quality at its best. It started happening a few months after I took delivery of the car and got progressively worse until Ford finally replaced it nearly a year later, after several trips to various dealerships. If it wasn't for several other members on this forum having the issue and Ford replacing those and my being able to show them (the dealership) it never would have been replaced. Ford sucks.

Issues like these (and getting them fixed) are why I'm glad I no longer have my car and will never buy another new Ford.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's it.

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------
That's what mine looks like.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

That's kinda what mine looks like now. 😞

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Built Ford tough. ROFLMAO
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Lightbulb Pictures, I Hope...

Hope this does the trick. I am about ready to strangle someone. There is no reason except for shoddy work and materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00306.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	741.7 KB
ID:	201002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00307.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	606.7 KB
ID:	201003  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00305.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	714.8 KB
ID:	201004  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mine has like little black spots on the Grey dash not on the radio. Told my dealership about it and they said they couldn't do anything about it and told me not to use armor all even tho I had not used any. It seems that the dash paint isn't made very well.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I used a rubbing compound on Mine, cleaned it right up...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Cyclone View Post
I used a rubbing compound on Mine, cleaned it right up...

---------------------------------------------------------
I'll try some polishing compound first. The sales manager gave me the run around. Of course the plate only is not sold. Any on E-Bay have been sold as spare parts. New radio, $302.27.

Time to look at another system.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I remember seeing posts on how to replace it with glass. Try a Google for something along that line.

Eclypse, I want a yellow one.....
Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Try your local junk yard. They r pretty cheap. I remember when I wanted to get a gt navigation system I tried a local junkyard and they would sell me the whole system for 500 so just the radio faceplate for a regular non touch screen radio should be pretty cheap of course you probably can't test it so it's a risk.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

3.7 cyclone did you use rubbing compound on radio or the dash
Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
On mine its the glass itself.
When I removed the display to look at it closer I could see that the tint/film they used had worn off.
My only explanation is it seems to not take well to cleaning products and just makes a mess of the glass.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
On mine its the glass itself.
When I removed the display to look at it closer I could see that the tint/film they used had worn off.
My only explanation is it seems to not take well to cleaning products and just makes a mess of the glass.

Sent from the future.
That's kind of what U suspected as well. I use meguiars exreme shine on mine... But I always buff it with a dry cloth after.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
3.7 cyclone did you use rubbing compound on radio or the dash
On my display it had a weathered look like someone had washed it and the spots stayed, on mine I just buffed it put with ultimate compound, some of the pics posted here were way worse.

16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Mine was the actual plastic. No amount of rubbing/buffing would have fixed it. In fact, my dealer tried and made it much worse.

Also, mine had never seen any cleaning compound. All I did was wipe it down with a microfiber and mine went to ****.

It's the plastic and the tinting Ford uses.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine was the actual plastic. No amount of rubbing/buffing would have fixed it. In fact, my dealer tried and made it much worse.

Also, mine had never seen any cleaning compound. All I did was wipe it down with a microfiber and mine went to ****.

It's the plastic and the tinting Ford uses.
Sounds like just another cheap part the snuck by "quality control". Problem is that all car companies have parts like these. I watched a episode on velocity where a farrari had buttons on the interior that turn to soft mush over time. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Sounds like just another cheap part the snuck by "quality control". Problem is that all car companies have parts like these. I watched a episode on velocity where a farrari had buttons on the interior that turn to soft mush over time. Go figure.
I think it's a bit more than that with these cars. It certainly was with my car.

I suppose that's what happens when you build a car and source parts based on price, quality be damned.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think it's a bit more than that with these cars. It certainly was with my car.

I suppose that's what happens when you build a car and source parts based on price, quality be damned.
Cars in the mustangs category all do that. But I completely understand your view since you got a dud.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE....on Heat Damage....

Going to the STEALERSHIP was a waste of time. THEIR A**HOLES are so tight, they probably can't fart.

Their solution buy another unit for $300+.

My solution:

How to remove stereo 2011-2014 Mustang - Ask.com YouTube Search

$789.56 + $50 per hour, 2-2.5 hours, $125 for install.

I will post some pictures when I get it installed on 5/25 (One Week from today).
Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Hope this does the trick. I am about ready to strangle someone. There is no reason except for shoddy work and materials.
The Chinese kids that are assembling those units are probably doing their best to do a good job, but the factory owners are likely providing them with inferior quality materials.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang