Is CQuartz finest worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2016, 02:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Is CQuartz finest worth it?

It's going to cost roughly $800
Joh113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 04:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
80 dollars, maybe. 800 dollars, no
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

^ Lol Okay, but any more information will be really useful. That includes prep work btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In the 1970's it was a big thing for 'dealers' to seal the paint and charge a couple hundred dollars added to the window sticker. The dealer would tell people "you will never have to wax your car again". That was bull crap.

I still have never found a wax that will last more than three or four months, 40 years later. Just saying.......
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

^ Alright interesting. Hmm... It's actually not the dealership, but another guy who does some detailing work on my car. I am considering a "coating". I guess he says that is beyond just a wax and sealant. I have to do some paint work on the car, and then I will be either getting the coating with the prep work or just a wash and wax (synthetic sealant). He seems like a nice guy and gets great reviews and always does a good job. He says that the Cquartz stuff will last forever. I'm confused now, but I'm glad for your input. Maybe I will just do the wash and wax or something and continue doing that 2-3 times a year. He also says that I can take it to a touchless wash, and it should be fine. Is this true? Also, is a touchless wash bad for your care even with sealant?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I actually only go to a touch-less car wash if I go to a car wash. It is easier to get the underside at least rinsed off before taking it home to do a complete detail.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The cq is good stuff but unless they've improved the formula I believe they were only saying up to 2 years before recoating.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Its probably good stuff. Nothing last forever. If you live in a place where you can't wax your car without getting into trouble, it might be worth a try. I'll just keep on waxing my Mustang 4 times per year for around $12
Old 05-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The application process doesnt seem too terrible and a bottle is like $54, $800 for an application is way too much.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Duragloss 111. I've tried everything and nothing comes close to the wet look gloss that this stuff provides. Plus it has no abrasive cutting action so if you're like me and you polish your car often, it will not thin your clear coat.

That Q stuff seems like a little fishy. I just found places that charge over $2k for it, and the pics I saw, well my car after the 111 looks as good or better.

If you're looking for swirl marks or coat correction then that's a different story, but even that shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred bucks.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. David Young, what kind of wax do you get for $12?

Also, here is the break down. $350 for prep work which basically gets the car into brand new condition. My car is already in pretty good condition, but i recently drove it on a really long road trip with little wax protection. I got bugs everywhere and they left some etch marks. The car also has some common blemishes that happen if you do not polish your car for two years.

Anyway, $350 for that and then $450 for the CQuartz. I'm not sure which he uses, but he said that it will last forever because it is very thick. Also, I just read on CQuartz website that the warranty is 2 years, but it could last longer; however, they do imply that it does not last forever.

I'm not sure what I should do now. I booked an appointment for some work. I can change it to anything else as it is still a week away. Let me know, guys.

EDIT: i just wanted to add that my main motivation is to avoid polishing. I have waxed the car regularly over the last couple years. I don't really polish, which I should, because like I said, it does have some blemishes as every car will get over the years. Also, I've heard that if not done properly waxing can also cause some scratches so with all that in mind, I thought maybe I could just do the coating. Keep in mind, I just moved to an apartment so I can't wash it like I used to.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Liquid Turtle Wax 'Ice'. I even use it on the black plastic body parts. The easiest wax i've ever used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	201007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	201008  

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Liquid Turtle Wax 'Ice'. I even use it on the black plastic body parts. The easiest wax i've ever used.
I've tried many and found Liquid Turtle Wax 'Ice' to be a good all-around product.

OP...Ask your detailer about Opti-Coat Pro (7 year warranty)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
there is not a wax coating that is worth $800....even bikini wax ain't worth that much.

3 in a row for Ice, I admit it's not an incredible wax but with the acres of black plastic my 2012 had and being able to apply it w/o staining = thumbs up!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I have Ice and I like it for the same reason... I can use it on my vinyl with no worries. I still like to polish with the duragloss and becareful not to touch the trim or vinyl. Then I Ice it with the spray Ice to maintain.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
there is not a wax coating that is worth $800....even bikini wax ain't worth that much.

3 in a row for Ice, I admit it's not an incredible wax but with the acres of black plastic my 2012 had and being able to apply it w/o staining = thumbs up!
Well, like I said part of it is the prep work. $450 is still a lot though. I only want it if it lasts forever as the guy is telling me. Mainly, because I live in an apartment.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Opti coat or Ceramic Pro. Those are legit and actually work. Its like $80 for the product, and applies like wax. It sheets water like no other and you won't swirl the paint at all.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I can do it myself?
Old 05-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh113 View Post
I can do it myself?
You can, but usually have a pro do it. You want the car to have a full polish before hand to get rid of ALL swirl marks on the car.

HID end all thread
Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

^ Yeah I agree, but doesn't it cost like around $800 as I am debating.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

It shouldn't cost that much. You might be thinking of something that is spray applicated. My friend details and does Ceramic Pro on cars, he doesn't charge even 1/4 of that. So i'm doing both my cars this summer.

HID end all thread
Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm nice. I'll have to find someone cheaper then. How much should the prep work cost and how much should the application cost (maybe I can get the product myself and give it to whoever applies it so it saves me some $$ there)?

My guy is charging me $350 for prep work $450 for CQuartz application without me bringing him the product. He says it will last forever, but people say it only lasts a couple years.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Like everything, it will wear off after time. Even regular clear coat wears off over time. So i wouldn't expect it to last forever. But the amount of protection you get from something like this is worth it.

HID end all thread
Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Alright how much should I expect it to cost? $200 for application or $150?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
In the 1970's it was a big thing for 'dealers' to seal the paint and charge a couple hundred dollars added to the window sticker. The dealer would tell people "you will never have to wax your car again". That was bull crap.

I still have never found a wax that will last more than three or four months, 40 years later. Just saying.......
Collinite 845 will

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh113 View Post
It's going to cost roughly $800
Go buy the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating kit. $150 for kit. Do it yourself and save big money. The coating lasts 3 years of paint protection. Autogeek sells the kit. Its easy to apply.

Just a near stock 3.7
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang