Where do folks like to get OEM body parts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Where do folks like to get OEM body parts?

My trunk lid continues to rust and Ford continues to deny coverage under corrosion warranty. Apparently rusting seam + flaking paint is not enough for them, and it looks like I may once again have to remedy the defect on my own.

Ford sells OEM lids for about $550. Yikes.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
My trunk lid continues to rust and Ford continues to deny coverage under corrosion warranty. Apparently rusting seam + flaking paint is not enough for them, and it looks like I may once again have to remedy the defect on my own.

Ford sells OEM lids for about $550. Yikes.
Is that unpainted?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, that's Tasca/AutoNation/etc. "discount" price for an unpainted OEM hood...NUTS! I think they may be primed black, but that's it.

My decklid is rusting from the seams, so if Ford won't warranty it, it's basically scrap metal. Be nice if the car could withstand water... LOL
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Lol, now I'm starting to understand why some of these mustang owners don't drive their cars in the rain.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
https://www.avis.com/car-rental/reservation/carguide/XB

poor impulse control

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I usually take some tools and a shopping cart and walk around my local Wal Mart parking lot. See how many parts I can snatch up before anyone notices.

Just kidding!!!

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I usually take some tools and a shopping cart and walk around my local Wal Mart parking lot. See how many parts I can snatch up before anyone notices.

Just kidding!!!
I was watching COPS the other night when a guy literally did this at an apartment complex. He stated the car hadn't moved from its spot in 2 weeks and looked abandoned so he thought it was okay to strip the parts he needed off of it lol
parkerbickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
I was watching COPS the other night when a guy literally did this at an apartment complex. He stated the car hadn't moved from its spot in 2 weeks and looked abandoned so he thought it was okay to strip the parts he needed off of it lol
LMAO! In this world, I would not be surprised. In the age of technology, I run into people who don't even know how to power on a computer.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I find great deals at LKQ. All you need are some tools and you're in business. Not sure how close you are to one, but you can google the closest to your location. I found a fender same color as my daughter's '01 GT paid $35 for it and didn't have to paint it.
69ponyxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ponyxprs View Post
I find great deals at LKQ. All you need are some tools and you're in business. Not sure how close you are to one, but you can google the closest to your location. I found a fender same color as my daughter's '01 GT paid $35 for it and didn't have to paint it.
My only worry with this is if the lid has seen any water, it might have the same problem at the seam.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
LKQ? Sorry I'm kinda new around here.
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
its a company that buys up used cars and wrecks to salvage parts for resale.plainfield indiana is the closest one to me.i don't know where the closest one would be to you.hop on the web it should give you all there locations.just keep in mind some stuff is in good shape but some of it may need some work.
newedge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Aw cool, didn't know that. Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out!
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

I checked the local inventory on the LKQ website (looks like they have a distribution center in the middle of the state), but their prices are in the same ballpark--$550-$600 not knowing color or condition. If the price difference were b igger, I'd be inclined to chance it, but since a new, rust-free OEM lid is about the same price...

I can probably get a new lid painted for a reasonable price if I wait and bundle with some other touch-up stuff I'm planning to do later in the season.

I guess the secondary question is does anyone know of ways to get better pricing than what Ford Parts departments are offering online? Special code or something?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

So, it turns out car-parts.com lists stuff that the LKQ website does not, so I lucked out and found a complete lid in my color with identical options (spoiler, sat rad). And the bonus is it comes with other goodies like the emblem, blackout panel, third tail light, etc...all for $20 more than FoMoCo's ludicrous price for a primed decklid without anything else.

From the pics, it looks like the driver of the donor car had lost an argument with a tree.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

So I grabbed the LKQ decklid, but it had the beginnings of the same rust problem. So I worked with Tasca to get as good a price as possible on a factory replacement, and I just had it painted the other day while a crack in my Cervini fiberglass hood was being fixed.

The rusted hood had additional holes under the spoiler for the back up camera (I don't have the camera), so water may have gotten in there. Plus, there are two round drain holes at the front corners of the lid; the old hood had those covered with clear stickers, impeding drainage. Weird.

Fingers crossed the new lid holds up. It was primered differently that the old one, so that might help too.

Anybody need a factory lid in Grabber Blue with some rust at the seam (but no other damage) for really cheap?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang