Bent Collector Flange - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bent Collector Flange

Hello all,
I'm pretty new to exhaust systems, but I just had to buy a replacement set of BBK shorty headers, and one of the collector flanges was bent. If I didn't need the car the next day I wouldn't have put them on. Does this look normal? Could this cause a small leak? I'm getting a small puffing sound..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_174716.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	201078   Click image for larger version

Name:	bent.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	919.5 KB
ID:	201079  

rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Typically that donut style gasket will prevent leaks, but that bend looks like it goes all the way to the "flare" of the donut... i'd say that very well could be posing an exhaust leak, as well as maybe some adverse (hard to say how much exactly) affects on performance.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I had that on my BBK Long Tubes. Easy to bend back in to shape.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the quick replies, and you mentioned a gasket Volt? There aren't any gaskets there, it's just the ball and socket joint (from my understanding, could very well be wrong). I just got these from American Muscle, I'd rather try and get a replacement set than attempt to bend them back if possible.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Take it apart, put a bead of ultra copper rtv up by the flange then reassemble. Let sit an hour or so before firing it up.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
Thanks for the quick replies, and you mentioned a gasket Volt? There aren't any gaskets there, it's just the ball and socket joint (from my understanding, could very well be wrong). I just got these from American Muscle, I'd rather try and get a replacement set than attempt to bend them back if possible.
Sorry, that ball and socket joint is also referred to as a donut gasket if i'm not mistaken. That's what i was referring to.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My BBK long tubes came a little bent like yours. Took a large pair of vise grips and reshaped it. I think this happen often
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke with americanmuslce and got a replacement set. Is it possible to overtighten the bolts from the collector flange to the X pipe with hand tools? I've had issues with them leaking there before, and cannot get a torque wrench in there to check exact torque on the bolts
Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I sanded to clean up everything. Didn't have anything leak. I didn't use a torque wrench. Just like anything else, you can break a bolt if you get it too tight
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang