Ultimate Sleeper? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yea another guy on here was asking about boosting his car. You can get away with the stock exhaust setup (might be too restrictive at high boost levels). But you will probably want....

1 piece driveshaft
Oil catch can
Better Suspension
Better wheels and tires (in case you have stock 17s or something)

Most kits will come with some of the other stuff you would need. Such as a tuner, colder spark plugs, pulley belt (if supercharging), etc.

I am not a Turbo guy myself (never used one), but I think those require different headers?

I would say definitely do your research before tackling something like this. An improper install can leave you with no car for awhile.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I've said it before and i'll say it again haha... whatever you think it will cost to boost your car, double it, and that might be near what it will actually cost you. The big things are easy to account for, its always the little things that nickle and dime you to death.

I would just save the money and enjoy it as it is. Nothing worse than having to call your parents to come tow you home from a Target parking lot because something you tried to do on a budget went wrong -_-

I agree that's what I said just get the essential you need to turbo and nothing else. I completely agree with you, I was ready to boost my car last month and was talking to the shop and everything I wanted ended up being around 10k and the price just keeps going up and up.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #38
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
If you're gonna substantially increase the power, I would recommend beefing up the breaks and suspension for a safer ride. But first off, I would get used to what you've got already. 305HP is nothing to sneeze at, and at 16, you need to get some experience under your belt before you graduate to more power. My grandson just turned 16 and he and his Dad just finished building a 71 Dodge Demon for him for his first car (not to friggen shabby). It came with a slant 6 and they dropped in a 340 V8. Take it one step at a time, kid, you've got plenty of time to add more power later. This is imperative for your safety and the safety of others on the road. Do the right thing and you'll have a ton of fun
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I agree that's what I said just get the essential you need to turbo and nothing else. I completely agree with you, I was ready to boost my car last month and was talking to the shop and everything I wanted ended up being around 10k and the price just keeps going up and up.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
You are 100% correct, the price will become outrageous if a shop is performing the install. I like to do most, if not all of my own work.

If I had a tire mounting and balancing machine, I would never be seen at a tire shop. Labor is expensive. The techs doing the install are normally earning every penny too.

Custom applications are rarely a simple bolt on. The instructions always seem straight forward. Once you have half of the car taken apart you realize that a few steps are missing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

300 hp is all it takes to be fiercely competitive around a corner. If you really want your car to shine, look into suspension and do some autocross or road course work. I used to be a straight line kind of guy, but the first time you hit a couple of good corners at speed... its life changing haha.

My mustang has beaten vipers and been beaten by miatas. There will always be someone with more money in the straight line game, which more than likely means there will always be someone faster. The nice thing about corners is just because you can buy it doesnt mean you can drive it, and that really helps level the playing field.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
300 hp is all it takes to be fiercely competitive around a corner. If you really want your car to shine, look into suspension and do some autocross or road course work. I used to be a straight line kind of guy, but the first time you hit a couple of good corners at speed... its life changing haha.

My mustang has beaten vipers and been beaten by miatas. There will always be someone with more money in the straight line game, which more than likely means there will always be someone faster. The nice thing about corners is just because you can buy it doesnt mean you can drive it, and that really helps level the playing field.
Voltwings always has very good advice and very knowledgeable. Thanks for pitching in!!
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I am just going to leave this here. I had not driven this car in over a year, it was on different springs (no testing, so the damper settings were shotgunned from the hip), had a non functional left front damper (which made for some very exciting left turns), and was on street tires. Oh, and I had swapped back to a 2.73 trac-lok axle to buy back some points so that I can do a full undertray over the summer and still be in TTB. The Scion and Subaru are full out Time Trial cars that love to outrun Z06's down the straights at VIR (the Subaru actually holds the production car record at VIR North). Moral of the story is, some good tires, mostly functional dampers, and driver mod will go a very long way.

At some point, I will start driving this car more. Note, if we run the full straight, I am flirting with the end of the speedometer, and still have my stock driveshaft...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerisnoteverything.png
Views:	64
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	201091  

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyurbom1 View Post
well around 5000-6000 im 16 and in highschool
--------------------------------------------------------------------
First, you better get mommy and daddy's permission. Second, you are probably on your parents insurance. There will be a very, very large increase on your insurance. In fact, your parent's insurance company may refuse to cover you at all.

Bang your girlfriend at the prom, graduate high school, go to college or obtain some sort of upper level education, get a "BIB BOY" job and after a couple of years of saving, go buy a new whatever model car you want.

You don't have the money and not enough life experience to handle a Supercharged Mustang.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyurbom1 View Post
Ok, thank you, one more thing....How do i deal with all the v6 haters and camaro losers
Well, consider that the new V6 Mustangs could smoke the older V8s. That's something, I think
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Since you're 16 and only have 5-6k kiss that "ultimate sleeper" dream good-bye for now.

In my opinion, keep it stock until you can afford the latest and greatest mustang after you graduate college. Use it to get from point A to point B in style, that's all I would do. You don't want to blow all your money at that age simply because you don't have enough coming in. I won't tell you how to spend your money, that's just my advice.

If you want to go get a supercharger, tune, suspension, gears and everything else you may as well start working the local corner at night, because that's the only way you'll be able to do it at 16.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #46
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I would ask your parents if it is ok to use the $6,000 as a down payment along with your V6 as a trade towards a used 11-14 GT if you want some power. lol. Because you won't get a boosted/awesome car for only 6k unless you are ok with an N/A V6. But even then, you wouldn't be breaking 300 RWHP. And if so, not by much.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I am just going to leave this here. I had not driven this car in over a year, it was on different springs (no testing, so the damper settings were shotgunned from the hip), had a non functional left front damper (which made for some very exciting left turns), and was on street tires. Oh, and I had swapped back to a 2.73 trac-lok axle to buy back some points so that I can do a full undertray over the summer and still be in TTB. The Scion and Subaru are full out Time Trial cars that love to outrun Z06's down the straights at VIR (the Subaru actually holds the production car record at VIR North). Moral of the story is, some good tires, mostly functional dampers, and driver mod will go a very long way.
That's a great driver mod, what did you do to your stang at the time of the run?

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

First, you better get mommy and daddy's permission. Second, you are probably on your parents insurance. There will be a very, very large increase on your insurance. In fact, your parent's insurance company may refuse to cover you at all.

Bang your girlfriend at the prom, graduate high school, go to college or obtain some sort of upper level education, get a "BIB BOY" job and after a couple of years of saving, go buy a new whatever model car you want.

You don't have the money and not enough life experience to handle a Supercharged Mustang.

Ur a little harsh don't u think!! I was 16 when I had my 89 fox body on the bottle. I was smoking adults that were twice my age. If he had his mind set them let's give him some decent advice. Let's not belittle him cause he's only 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I had a friend in high school that had a turbo'd 240sx with full exhaust. Pretty quick ride.

For $6,000 on his current car, I would say full suspension, wheels and tires, gears, and a tune. If he has anything left, maybe like a catch can, headers, etc.

I would stay N/A though if he keeps his V6. Once he has that whole foundation, then he can save up for a supercharger.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Statistically, 16 year olds either end up in crashes or a ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Ur a little harsh don't u think!! I was 16 when I had my 89 fox body on the bottle. I was smoking adults that were twice my age. If he had his mind set them let's give him some decent advice. Let's not belittle him cause he's only 16.

I was mature enough to drive a 71 Chevelle SS that I bought with my own money. Dad helped with a few parts, but I had a job. I easily had a low 12, high 11 second car. Granted, my dad owned a Top Alcohol drag boat, so power was common.

That car never killed me. It helped me earn a few tickets though.

Maturity levels vary. I have also been racing anything with wheels for as long as I can remember.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Statistically, 16 year olds either end up in crashes or a ditch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a child about to turn 16. Let's hope she is not a statistic.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Keep those eyes off the phone while driving.

Just two obsolete 3Vs.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post

At some point, I will start driving this car more. Note, if we run the full straight, I am flirting with the end of the speedometer, and still have my stock driveshaft...
I couldnt imagine using anything less than the 3.55 we have in there now haha... 2.73 ... i salute you sir.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #55
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I would also say if you do upgrade your brakes to a big brake kit - then that is great. But if you stay with your stock calipers and rotor sizes, get some good premium blank discs and a good set of pads. Do not go for drilled and slotted. That is purely for show. They provide less surface area for the pads to grip.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Keep those eyes off the phone while driving.

Just two obsolete 3Vs.
That makes me so angry to see while I'm driving. I swear, it's less teenagers and more middle-aged women. Most guys I see don't text and drive. Just the girls. Must just be the people around here
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
That makes me so angry to see while I'm driving. I swear, it's less teenagers and more middle-aged women. Most guys I see don't text and drive. Just the girls. Must just be the people around here
Do you know how hard it is to type on a phone, in response to forum comments, while driving a manual? Come on!

Actually, I can talk to text and have the responses read back to me. Sometimes that is my only option. People rarely call anymore.

Plus, I'm not driving at the moment. I have no idea how people can drive at speed and hold a full text conversation. I like to know what animals are running in front of me. If I squash the neighbor's cat I want to be able to mark it on my scoreboard. I don't want to try and distinish what animal is flat in the road when I come back through later.

I have yet to find out how women put on make up, play on their phone, drive, and remain on the road.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post

That's why I gave him the best advice I could, I hate it when people on here tell you to invest your money and this and that. I commend y'all for trying to steer him in the right direction but he's young and the asked how to make a sleeper not how to invest my money. I hate it when people don't answer the question that was asked. Rant over.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's why I gave him the best advice I could, I hate it when people on here tell you to invest your money and this and that. I commend y'all for trying to steer him in the right direction but he's young and the asked how to make a sleeper not how to invest my money. I hate it when people don't answer the question that was asked. Rant over.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Can I invest your money? I don't mind adding to my IRA with your money.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Because we are all trying to keep him from making the same mistake we all made. And he won't listen just like none of us did.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Because we are all trying to keep him from making the same mistake we all made. And he won't listen just like none of us did.
He may listen. There's always hope for one good egg.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
God what i could do with all the money i've wasted over the past 10 or so years haha...
Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I have a child about to turn 16. Let's hope she is not a statistic.

Don't get her a racecar, enough teenagers do dumb stuff as it is in Corollas.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
God what i could do with all the money i've wasted over the past 10 or so years haha...
I didn't invest much in my 2014 3.7....

Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
She is getting my old 04 Grand Cherokee. She will do just fine.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is something my soon to be wife and i talk about a lot. Do we let the teenager track their car with us so they learn an appreciation for what a vehicle can and cant do, and what happens when you lose control at speed? Or do we not because that could very well lead to a "hey, watch this" situation. Tough choice to make.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is something my soon to be wife and i talk about a lot. Do we let the teenager track their car with us so they learn an appreciation for what a vehicle can and cant do, and what happens when you lose control at speed? Or do we not because that could very well lead to a "hey, watch this" situation. Tough choice to make.
My parents had me racing at a very young age. When I finally acquired my driver's license I knew how to both handle and abuse a car. I will admit to a few moments of stupidity when I was out of view of my parents. I did not plant a car in a ditch, but I did earn a few tickets. To be completely honest, I remember receiving the different citations in one day, all from the same officer. My excuse of tuning the carbs did not work. It was true, but the officer didn't care.

I had to pay the fines on my own. My parents also took my driving privileges from me for a few months. I had a gorgeous Chevelle and couldn't do more than wash it.

I was a quick to learn. I DID NOT GET CAUGHT again until I was 18. That wasn't me being stupid though. I earned a speeding ticket because I didn't pay attention.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I commend y'all do trying to help us young folks but all of you guys just agreed we aren't going to listen, and you guys aren't the first people to tell u to invest. My mom is always on my case about investing my money, and I put a little aside every paycheck for retirement thanks to you guys. But I feel like if your parents bought him a mustang I'm sure they have talked to him about how to be smart with his money and different investment options, etc. personally I know many different options out there, but I choose not to do it, I know it's ignorant and stupid but like y'all said we are young and stupid and I couldn't agree more. I want to have fun now too and we all know you have to pay to play. That being said at least I'm putting something aside lol, I had a coworker telling me the same thing for the last 3 days about how I should invest more in myself than my car. Trust me us young bucks hear it all the time but we just choose to act ignorantly with our money lol.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
^^You forgot, BOOM! (mic drop)
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Do what you will. The car can't kill you more than once.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang