Ultimate Sleeper? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ultimate Sleeper?

If your parents have money to buy you a near new mustang at 16, I almost guarantee you have a retirement fund started as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
That's a great driver mod, what did you do to your stang at the time of the run?
I put some gas in it, slept for two hours, set up the event under the cover of pre-dawn, went down the interstate for some Waffle House, shotgunned the tire pressures (never used the BFG Rival S on this car before), then drove.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

When i turned 16 in 1969, i got a job the next day after i got my licenses. With my first pay check i found me a car i wanted and got my first loan for $500 from my local bank. I bought me a 1963 40 horsepower VW Bug
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I put some gas in it, slept for two hours, set up the event under the cover of pre-dawn, went down the interstate for some Waffle House, shotgunned the tire pressures (never used the BFG Rival S on this car before), then drove.
Sounds like a piece of cake!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
When i turned 16 in 1969, i got a job the next day after i got my licenses. With my first pay check i found me a car i wanted and got my first loan for $500 from my local bank. I bought me a 1963 40 horsepower VW Bug
I'll bet that you wish that you still had the ol' VW.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'll bet that you wish that you still had the ol' VW.

I 'do' miss that car

Gas was 29 cents a gallon. If a 'gas war' was going on, a gallon could be bought for 21 cents a gallon
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
If your parents have money to buy you a near new mustang at 16, I almost guarantee you have a retirement fund started as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my point, you said in a couple sentences what I said in a paragraph lol.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I would never give a 16 year old a Mustang, Camaro, or hell even a V6 Accord. Older Silverado, Tahoe, etc. that's your best bet.

Slickmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #79
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I've said it before and i'll say it again haha... whatever you think it will cost to boost your car, double it, and that might be near what it will actually cost you. The big things are easy to account for, its always the little things that nickle and dime you to death.

I would just save the money and enjoy it as it is. Nothing worse than having to call your parents to come tow you home from a Target parking lot because something you tried to do on a budget went wrong -_-
Yeah this has happened a few times........... Luckily i've never been stranded, but have to limp the car home lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickmullet View Post
I would never give a 16 year old a Mustang, Camaro, or hell even a V6 Accord. Older Silverado, Tahoe, etc. that's your best bet.
I'm 16. I figure, the New Edge's 3.8 isn't exactly the most powerful engine out there, so no harm really. I only wanted a Mustang in the first place because of the fact that I could get it in a manual and it looked cool.

I've, of course, grown to love Mustangs and their history.
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I hear ya. I just personally would not allow my 16 year old to have a 300 hp car. A V6 Mustang is no slouch and can get away from you quick, especially in wet weather. I prefer a 7000 # tank of a truck or something safer.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I bought my 16 year old a 2005 Silverado supercrew. 5.3 295hp installed some leveling shackles and a super 44. Hes happier than a dog with two tweeters
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear ya. I just personally would not allow my 16 year old to have a 300 hp car. A V6 Mustang is no slouch and can get away from you quick, especially in wet weather. I prefer a 7000 # tank of a truck or something safer.

Or you could teach your kid how to drive it, my dad drove a 99 328i with about 500 whp so I've been learning since I was 14. I got my 3.7 when i was 17 and haven't crashed and I never will because I won't allow the car to get away from me. Honestly it's a maturity thing, while I did some pretty immature in my teenage years, I feel that I'm a slightly better driver than your average teenager. I mean most kids these days can't even drive a stick but my point is that it doesn't matter what you get your kid even a truck can get away from him. It's best just to inform him and teach him the best you can.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #84
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
All depends on the child. My daughter is 7 and she already shows an interest in what I'm doing when I'm pulling motors apart or when the car is up on ramps or even basic stuff. If she gets really into this sort of stuff, I'll buy a project car for her when she's 14 or 15 and build it with her so when she turns 17 she'll have something cool that she built. Something like a 4.0 S197 or a New Edge 3.8 would be perfect IMO.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Or you could teach your kid how to drive it, my dad drove a 99 328i with about 500 whp so I've been learning since I was 14. I got my 3.7 when i was 17 and haven't crashed and I never will because I won't allow the car to get away from me. Honestly it's a maturity thing, while I did some pretty immature in my teenage years, I feel that I'm a slightly better driver than your average teenager. I mean most kids these days can't even drive a stick but my point is that it doesn't matter what you get your kid even a truck can get away from him. It's best just to inform him and teach him the best you can.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Never say you won't let a car get away from you. Every now and then unpredictable things happen.

The best thing my dad ever did was teach me to race. I went to defensive driving classes. I went on to get my NHRA license (very easy). I also have an SCCA Competition License.

I can tell you that the track is fairly predictable. You never know what is on the street. There are pot holes, idiots, uneven surfaces, contamination, animals, etc (I did have a deer run across the drag strip in front of me one night - a true pucker moment on a drag bike).

Know your car. Understand the car. Most of all, respect the car. The car doesn't care if it kills you.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
All depends on the child. My daughter is 7 and she already shows an interest in what I'm doing when I'm pulling motors apart or when the car is up on ramps or even basic stuff. If she gets really into this sort of stuff, I'll buy a project car for her when she's 14 or 15 and build it with her so when she turns 17 she'll have something cool that she built. Something like a 4.0 S197 or a New Edge 3.8 would be perfect IMO.
You are correct, every child is different. My oldest daughter scares me because she is overly cautious. She has her learner's permit, and needs more practice.

My youngest is 13 and drives extremely well. Of course this is done on private property with no traffic. She connects with the car though.

Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

But really, who gives their kid a mustang for a first vehicle? Insurance is outrageous, increased risk of accident, etc.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:29 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I bought my 16 year old a 2005 Silverado supercrew. 5.3 295hp installed some leveling shackles and a super 44. Hes happier than a dog with two tweeters

Perfect!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Never say you won't let a car get away from you. Every now and then unpredictable things happen.

The best thing my dad ever did was teach me to race. I went to defensive driving classes. I went on to get my NHRA license (very easy). I also have an SCCA Competition License.

I can tell you that the track is fairly predictable. You never know what is on the street. There are pot holes, idiots, uneven surfaces, contamination, animals, etc (I did have a deer run across the drag strip in front of me one night - a true pucker moment on a drag bike).

Know your car. Understand the car. Most of all, respect the car. The car doesn't care if it kills you.

I know I guess the point I was trying to make is that just because a driver is young doesn't mean the cat will get away from them. Hell the car can get away from experienced 20 year veterans.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But really, who gives their kid a mustang for a first vehicle? Insurance is outrageous, increased risk of accident, etc.
Parents who can afford it. Can't say I'd do much different than them if I was loaded.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #91
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post

This ^^^^

Before i got any actual track experience i thought i could drive and looking back i was terrible. I did let the car get away from me a few times. Luckily never hit anything. But seriously, go autocross the car or do a track day. You will be amazed how much you learn.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
The insurance on my 01 v6 (first car) was in the same bracket as a corolla lol... i'm sure things have changed since then, but still.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The insurance on my 01 v6 (first car) was in the same bracket as a corolla lol... i'm sure things have changed since then, but still.

I got my mustang when I was 17 and it was 100 for full coverage, I don't know if that's considered expensive insurance or not.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I got my mustang when I was 17 and it was 100 for full coverage, I don't know if that's considered expensive insurance or not.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

Depends on your deductible too. If you have a low deductible that is good, because my 2001 miata that i got for $4000 has full coverage, a $250 deductible and is $107 a month.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Depends on your deductible too. If you have a low deductible that is good, because my 2001 miata that i got for $4000 has full coverage, a $250 deductible and is $107 a month.
A friend of mine who works for Aston Martin, made the mistake of checking to see what insurance on a 1992 Miata would be over there.

For a 24 year old car that she could buy for 1000 pounds, it would cost her 2000 pounds per month to insure. No crashes or any sort of tickets, it was that high because she is under 26 years old.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
A friend of mine who works for Aston Martin, made the mistake of checking to see what insurance on a 1992 Miata would be over there.

For a 24 year old car that she could buy for 1000 pounds, it would cost her 2000 pounds per month to insure. No crashes or any sort of tickets, it was that high because she is under 26 years old.
See, i understand there's obviously an algorithm they use for that sort of thing, but have some common sense haha... you could replace the car twice over each month just paying for the insurance ... whose sole purpose is to fix and or replace the car? Makes no sense.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
See, i understand there's obviously an algorithm they use for that sort of thing, but have some common sense haha... you could replace the car twice over each month just paying for the insurance ... whose sole purpose is to fix and or replace the car? Makes no sense.
Medical and Liability is a factor as well.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang