Borla X Pipe weld failure - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Borla X Pipe weld failure

So I have been noticing for a while now that my car seems down on power, and when I went to get the state inspection done by a friend, we were underneath, and found that my X Pipe had cracked along the full length of the weld on the crossover section, and had propagated into a tear past the end. Has anyone else had an issue with this, and how well does Borla respond to requests to repair manufacturing issues? Pictures are below.

This would certainly explain why it smells faintly of carburetor at stoplights. The things that get missed when you stop racing a car regularly, and it gets daily driven without regular inspection. Oops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160519_001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	201156   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160519_002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	201157  

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If it was leaking i would have expected to see a lot of black soot
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I think Borla had some problems with the welds on some of their axle back mufflers rusting a few years ago.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You know, i was literally about to message you earlier asking how you liked the Borla Long tubes since i saw them in your sig... interested to see where this goes.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
They will warranty that.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have spoken with Borla, and they were extremely helpful. The problem is that the x pipe is not designed for the extreme heat that I subjected it to, and has since been redesigned.

The problem is that the x pipe is experiencing extreme temperatures, then once it gets to temperature, the torque of the motor on a hard downshift tends to twist the weld apart.

The solution is to completely weld the plates mounted at each end of the crossover (the early and current ones are only tac welded on), and the best results from their testing was to add two more to each end (for a total of six). This increases the torsional rigidity of the final product, and prevents the failure.

I am not going to ask them to warranty it, but will repair the existing part, and take video at the next track event I do with the car. I will keep everyone posted, but it will likely be either July or October before I have an opening to run my own car.

I just want to be clear, the customer service group at Borla was extremely helpful, and I would like to thank them for that.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Aside from this though, happy with the Borlas? They're at the high end of the price range, but i've considered them more than once for our car.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Update:
I pulled it apart, and there were literally only two tac welds holding this together. After some creative use of home depot, I have reassembled it. Pro tip: Grind the old tac welds down, or you get to pull it off, and do that later, because they will stress crack after a few harsh heat cycles.

So far, no repeat issues, will pull this thing back off in a month, since I will be putting over 12 hours of track time on the car next month. If it is going to repeat, this will do it.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Aside from this though, happy with the Borlas? They're at the high end of the price range, but i've considered them more than once for our car.
For most people, they are fine. I have been pretty pleased with them. With the factory mufflers, I only register 82 decibels at sea level past redline, so you will not have any issues with breaking the noise limit at tracks (95-105 is a common range of limits).

Other than the X Pipe, they have been bullet proof. I have heat cycled them past the point that many would have cracked a weld. I would definitely not pay full price for them though, the $600 I paid was about right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang