**2013 Gear swap & tune while keeping warranty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Region: California
Cool **2013 Gear swap & tune while keeping warranty?

2013 V6 auto convert. premium

Long time reader, first time poster. I've gone to 4 different dealers asking the same question (with different answers) and thought I'd ask here as well before I buy a Bama/gears and do something I'd regret. Can I swap my 2.73 with Ford Racing 3.55 or 3.73 and get a dealer tune and still keep my warranty? Can Ford "calibrate" the ECM & auto transmission to compensate for the gear change? I have 60K miles, but since it's a CPO I still have 4 years & 40K miles left on the powertrain warranty. I've got the Eibrach Pro System Plus kit and it handles great now...but so sluggish off the line it's sad. Thanks!

Eibach Pro System Plus suspension, DBA slotted rotors with EBC Yellow Stuff pads, Airaid CAI, 18x10 American Muscle Wheels, AM rocker stripes, outer hood stripes, late model restoration of a rental (saved from the desert of Nevada, lives in Cali now).
HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quick answer is no.

Long answer is they can maybe get it close if you have a good dealer. They can only flash a ratio Ford offered stock on the 3.7, 2.73 or 3.31. So they could flash it to 3.31 and potentially manipulate the tire size to bring the speedo into some semblance of accuracy. But there is no documented process for it. I've not seen anyone successfully get this though.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1....it will help if you are friends with the dealer but they will NOT put it in writing that you are covered. Esp once you start to put a tune on it they CAN deny most of the power train wtty.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
2013 and 4 years left? sell back the extended wtty use the money to void it and improve your car!

I thought auto's came with 3.15s or is that V8 only?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
2013 and 4 years left? sell back the extended wtty use the money to void it and improve your car!

11-14 the only ratios were 2.73 or 3.31 for the 3.7. 3.31 was a stand alone option or part of the performance package.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Can't sell back the warranty as far as I know, 7 year/100K was included as certified pre-owned. I don't quite understand the hesitation on the dealer's side. I'm not asking for a "performance tune" to stress the motor, but rather a correction to match the new gears such as you would if you put larger wheels/tires on. As you mentioned, 3.31 was an option from the dealer so why not at least agree to install that set and match it? Argh...
Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The dealership doesn't warranty the car. Ford gives a warranty on the car that Ford built. When we make changes, like gears and tunes, it is no longer the car that Ford built.

If you change the Shaker with another audio, would you expect Ford to warranty that? Same thing applies to any mod. If it can be found to be A cause of the problem, then coverage for your issue will be denied.

Cry Magnuson Moss warranty act all you want. Ford has deeper pockets and engineers on staff to meet their burden of proof, up to you then to disprove and present your evidence that the mod was not A proximate cause.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

I think they were for the GT only.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hey,

I did a lot of research before changing gears. 2.73 stock was just way too slow and 6th gear wouldn't kick in until around 70mph. What I learned by calling different dealerships and speaking with my local mechanic is that if you take it to an SVT authorized Ford dealership, they can change it to any ratio you'd like, including the 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10. You have to buy the gears/shims/sleeve/etc, from them and they'll install and re-flash. I believe regular ford dealerships can do the same but only up to 3.31 gears as mentioned in a previous post. The two SVT shops I called closest to me said power train warranty will still be broken, although the other warranties will remain intact. They also said that although the power train warranty is broken, they'd still try to help with any repairs as ford is generally more lenient with what's covered when work is performed by one of their shops. To me, that was still too risky because promises mean nothing unless it's in writing and so not worth 3X the cost of what a transmission shop would charge. Bought the 3.55s and shim set from AM, Steeda Tuner, and took it to a local shop where both owners are diehard Mustang fanatics. Couldn't be happier.

My .02: No matter what a dealership says, SVT or not, it's ultimately Ford's decision to accept or reject warranty work. If you're going to spend the money and break the warranty, do it at a trustworthy shop that guarantees their work, and use a reputable tune (BAMA, LUND, STEEDA, MPT, etc), not just one that adjusts shift points for much less than what the labor alone will cost you at a dealership. Gears + reputable tune will wake your car up and have it running exactly how you want it!
VeryVeryEvilGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
Can't sell back the warranty as far as I know, 7 year/100K was included as certified pre-owned. I don't quite understand the hesitation on the dealer's side. I'm not asking for a "performance tune" to stress the motor, but rather a correction to match the new gears such as you would if you put larger wheels/tires on. As you mentioned, 3.31 was an option from the dealer so why not at least agree to install that set and match it? Argh...
Did you ask them about 3.31? Because your original post sounds like you only asked about 3.55 or 3.73.

As far as I know, they'll calibrate your car for 3.31 if you get 3.31s installed.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #11

Thanks EvilGuy! That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll reach out to an SVT dealer in my area and if I can't get it in writing that it's 100% kosher I'll just hold off. It's my only car so I don't have the flexibility of having it down if something happens. DiESeven, 3 dealers won't touch it while 1 said that they'd have to contact Ford; nope didn't mention 3.31 though now maybe I'll go back and ask them. I'm leaning towards 3.55 or waiting until warranty expiration. Thanks all.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I think the dealer will charge something like $50 to re-flash the computer if you go to 3.31 gears on our v6's.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The dealer i contacted here a while back wanted $100 for the reflash and $1500 for the 3.31 install. F the warranty lol...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

That's a bit steep...I mean I would think it would be $250 max for the gear set and 2 hours of labor so maybe $500 max?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A Ford dealer can do 3.31 and set the speedo all day long. It just gets muddy if you want 3.55, 3.73, etc.

Pricing wise, Ford dealers are generally going to be the most expensive option.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
That's a bit steep...I mean I would think it would be $250 max for the gear set and 2 hours of labor so maybe $500 max?
Yeah, i took it to a local shop and had it done for $250.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

After researching i found out Ford has dropped the V6's 2.73 gears in 2015. The standard gear ratio in the 2015+ Mustangs are the 3.15 gear ratio.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

2 years and 2 dollars short I guess...
Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
From what I remember a while back, Ford will only flash to what was available for the car, and I thought 3.31 was not an option for convertibles, so you are stuck there also.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang